• Flora del Rio Grande: Well done, Gualtier. Thank you. I had forgot about the Goerke-Soviero tuition, and yes... 5:08 PM
  • Maury D: Death in Venice or: the only opera that has ever given me a non-metaphorical headache. 5:01 PM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Yes, aulus, it was Agrippina! I agree with you about that season and several others... 4:48 PM
  • marshiemarkII: what’s wrong with “flattenR 21; as in lay them supine with pleasure, carisssima... 4:45 PM
  • manou: It’s the “flattenR 21; that bothers me – surely that can’t be the aim? 4:36 PM
  • marshiemarkII: “If she is wearing silk and satin she can flatten any Latin…” Now that’s definitely my... 4:17 PM
  • marshiemarkII: My beloveds all, the gurl shall be back next week, that I promise! hugs to all :-P 4:09 PM
  • Clita del Toro: Today my partner, Mike forced me to buy tickets for four operas at LOC this season: 6... 4:02 PM
  • Gualtier M: I have several times wanted to throw my panties onstage during performances of “Hansel und... 3:53 PM
  • Henry Holland: Thanks so much for posting that JML, a terrific performance. I really liked the conducing and... 3:52 PM

“Oh how I sympathize with King Canute!”

Norman Lebrecht, who seems now to have no goal in life beyond actively impeding the progress of classical music—and why not: look how cruelly the industry has treated him!—has published a “review” from a “critic” who walked out of a three-act opera after the first act.

• Poison Ivy says:

Isn’t it clear? His “lovely companion” wanted to leave. So Borodin lost out to a booty call.

• derschatzgabber says:

If he did have press tickets, perhaps the Met should follow the lead of Rush Limbaugh and insist that they are entitled to video of the critic and lovely companion.

• Opera South says:

“Music and Vision” is the “People” magazine (or worse) of classical music. Lebrecht seems to be obsessed with allegations of sexual misconduct in music schools -- reporting every accusation, whether or not there is proof. He also loves to announce the deaths of “well-known” or “important” musicians that no one has ever heard of outside of their home towns. His newest obsession seems to be instruments damaged by airlines. I think he posts everything he can get his hands on.

Norman is only seeking to increase “hits” to his website by posting sibylline tweets announcing tidbits about those “important” and unnamed people with the requisite link. Clicking on this takes you to Slipped Disc where you discover you have been “had” -- rather like Kruno’s tinyurl link to Mojca Erdmann lying on a bed of roses.

I think that is known in the trade a ‘clickbait’, manou. While bemoaning sexism in organisations such as the Vienna Phil, he also quite likes putting up vaguely prurient pictures of women to grab attention.

• Chanterelle says:

The “news” he “breaks” tends to be stale anyway. Former tabloid writer, is he?

He also likes bemoaning the sad death of an artist and shortly afterwards promoting library photos of the deceased held in the Lebrecht Picture Library. Ambulance-chasing, really.

• havfruen says:

Why complain about coverage of damaged instruments? Isn’t that something we should all be angry about? The mainstream media doesn’t much care, so thank goodness someone does.

• Opera South says:

Sorry -- meant “Slipped Disc” not “music and Vision!!!!”

• none says:

Roberto Alagna has received glowing comments in the press about his Werther in Paris. In fact I understand that the whole cast, music director and production have come together in a unique way to make a truly great show. What a pity it will be lost. It would have been nice for the many of us who cannot go to Paris to see a DVD. I know that many people will frown at this, but I wish that M. Alagna was singing Werther at the Met. His French is so much better that Jonas Kaufmann’s!

• phoenix says:

Mock them all you want, the crowd will celebrate any False Dmitri you throw up here.
    - Never fear, impressarios are too busy with fiscal matters to care that much about the artistic validity of their productions -- the Publicity Dept. (distributing cash for advertising & free tickets to ‘critics’ -- ‘critics’ who want to keep them rolling in) will be able to prove the superiority of any Regiban edition over any traditional score.