• Clita del Toro: Lol. I am now forcing myself again to listen to the Forza with Harteros and Kaufmann.I am... 1:13 PM
  • Clita del Toro: Aulus, very smart of you! 12:48 PM
  • aulus agerius: This is why I spend my money to go see Orphee, Euryanthe, Corsaro, Masnadieri, Tell,... 12:30 PM
  • Clita del Toro: Manou. Lolol 12:07 PM
  • manou: “my problem is, how many times over 60 years can one listen to any particular opera?”... 11:44 AM
  • Clita del Toro: Steveac, my problem is, how many times over 60 years can one listen to any particular opera?... 11:24 AM
  • MontyNostry: Everybody loves Leyla – a fun little video if you like spotting musical celebs(though I... 9:48 AM
  • olliedawg: Hey, bronzino, I take your point, but have to posit that it’s “chacun a son... 9:29 AM
  • Bob: Leaving aside the ideological battles which will get us nowhere, the encouraging thing about this... 9:26 AM
  • olliedawg: I agree with the phrase, too. I, too, have been in concert performances where the physical... 9:20 AM

You’ll sometimes walk alone

Carousel – New Production/Lyric Opera Premiere. Denyce Graves; remaining cast TBA. Rob Fisher/conductor, Rob Ashford/director; remaining creative team TBA.” [Lyric Opera of Chicago Press Release]

The Wine Auction sounds intriguing…

• pavel says:

THE PASSENGER / Mieczys?aw Weinberg (1919-1996) Sung in Russian, German, Polish, French, Yiddish, Greek, Czech, and English

Wow. That’s a lotta languages.

• phoenix says:

On the subject of schedules, Bard sent me their SummerScape 2014 announcement today: von Weber’s Euryanthe (25, 27, 30 July & 1, 3 August) and Schubert’s Fierrabras (10, 17 August)

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

They have an odd definition of ‘young professional’. I get 11 more years at it!

• operaassport says:

Why are they doing Porgy and Bess again when they just did it 2 or 3 seasons ago? Will they be doing the 9 hour uncut version again? Or at least it seemed liked 9 hours.

• WeillFan says:

The Lyric Opera of Chicago last staged “Porgy and Bess” during the 2008-09 season, Opera Ass Port. That’s almost a new generation to see the work, much in the same way that Disney used to reissue its popular animated features in cinemas every seven years before home video sales came along.
      I feel “Porgy and Bess” deserves a spot in the standard operatic repertoire, and I don’t mind it returning in the same way that say, “Carmen” or “Tosca,” are frequently revived. Yet I would have preferred the Lyric to at least use a different staging rather than recycling Francesca Zambello’s Washington National Opera production.
      I also guess the Lyric’s “Porgy and Bess” will probably curtail the national tour of Diane Paulus’ 2012 revised Broadway revival of “The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess” from ever playing Chicago (which could be a plus if you prefer the full orchestrations rather than the reduced and revamped Broadway ones).

• operaassport says:

5 years ago is a new generation? Seriously? It’s a bore, they made it a worse bore by presenting a 9 hour uncut version conducted like slow Wagner. Enough!

• operaassport says:

Didn’t someone here tell us that Netrebko was going to be Leonora? I don’t see her name here at all.

Has there ever been such a mediocre line up of conducting nobodies?

Bolena seems the only remotely interesting possibility. I guess I can use my free dress rehearsal passes for that one.

• Clita del Toro says:

Operaassport: I think Amber Wagner will sing Leonora.
    Yes, I see, Bolena is a remote possibility for you--so very remote—-and with such a shitty cast, and such a boring opera—so we would be so happy if you could just drag yourself to see it. Try hard, crawl down Wacker Drive and make us all happy.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

As long as he doesn’t have to part with a cent in order to suffer it -- that’s the main thing!

• operaassport says:

Oh, such bitter queens. Try lube.

Bolena looks interesting, nothing else does.
        Yes, I know Amber Wagner will sing Leonora. But someone here recently insisted that Nebs had been signed and I wondered what happened.

• operaassport says:

No, I wouldn’t pay a cent to see most of the crap LOC puts on. And I pity to those sheep who still subscribe and go. Of course, it’s one of the dumbest opera audiences anywhere so it’s not surprising.

• WeillFan says:

The Lyric Opera of Chicago’s 2008 presentation of “Porgy and Bess” featured a number of musical and dialogue cuts, and therefore did not have a running time of what you suggested that “seemed liked 9 hours.” And yes, I do understand hyperbole and sarcasm, Opera Ass Port.

• norma54 says:

You’re absolutely RIGHT ! ….which is why mediocrity is always accepted and even APPLAUDED! Netrebko WAS supposed to sing Leonora…and actually may have helped sell some tickets and bring some subscribers back. Now,…. why bother?