• opera_newbie: Did anyone else see the Santa Fe 2016 announcement? Can someone please explain to me how an... 1:15 PM
  • m. croche: Enjoyed reading La C’s detailed and thoughtful review. But I have to say that a... 12:52 PM
  • phoenix: I assume this is only part 1 of this performance’ s review – the audial critique will... 12:48 PM
  • Bill: Dabrowski – I was in Pittsburgh volunteering for he race with the elite coordinator –... 12:45 PM
  • Will: So, what is the common opinion of the production — does it make sense engage everyone of you, or... 11:46 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: httpvh://www.youtu be.com/watch?v=92_ Fu1W-uAs 11:25 AM
  • Fluffy-net: I was struck by the fact that La Cieca cried. Must be something there. Stefan is Norwegian. 10:50 AM
  • pasavant: The Germans are starting to feel their oats again. I certainly hope that someone is keeping an eye... 10:10 AM
  • scargo: omg. 10:05 AM
  • Dabrowski: Lisette Oropesa finished the Pittsburgh Marathon in “4:45:41, not her best time, which is... 10:01 AM

Male fraud

Has Los Angeles Opera mentioned lately that Billy Budd has an all-male cast?

• Patrick Mack says:

We’re so pathetically bush league out here. Please allow to apologize for the LA Opera.
    At least they didn’t have to translate the title of the work into English so they could talk down to the most multi cultural city on earth. Have pity.

• pobrediablo says:

I don’t understand what the issue is.

• Batty Masetto says:

Pobre, the writer manages to lead off two sentences in a row with “all-male cast” in the course of a passage that’s not more than about 50 words. Apparently somebody can’t wait to see that manly cast of all those manly men in that manly opera about manly men.

• Krunoslav says:

The BILLY BUDD cast looks to be very strong *except* for the Billy Budd, vocally not a match for many conservatory students I’ve heard lately: a mediocre sound with too much tremolo for the rep he does and no particular imagination.

Liam Bonner is in the James Valenti class of singer. A missed opportunity, as Croft and Grimsley should be excellent.

C’mon Krunoslavsky—he looks so nice in his Speedos!
      Perhaps the long-lost and usually expurgated “Sun-Bathing Scene” will be re-inserted into the opera? We can only hope so.

Bonner was excellent as both actor and singer in the ENO COSI a couple of years ago.

• bluecabochon says:

He was quite fine in SILENT NIGHT and the recent Peter Grimes concert.

• Krunoslav says:

He sang bad French in SILENT NIGHT, and showed that tremolo, and was ‘decent’ , but no more, in the GRIMES, unless one was gong by looks and not voice or musicality.

Always happy to see Armer happy to disagree with me.

Maybe I enjoyed Bonner’s performance and that’s why I said so? I’m afraid I don’t base my opinions on what a stranger on the Internet thinks.

• steveac10 says:

Whatever his merits, he seems to have settled in as the preferred young lyric baritone on the 1st & 2nd tier regional circuit. I don’t find him objectionable, but there are others I would rather hear. I can say that living in Pittsburgh, I’ve seen a fair bit of him. Pleasant is the word that comes to mind. But I will grant he is a charmer in interviews. His Met career to date has also been a bit of a bust, with a couple of minor roles a few years back. The Met, despite it’s longtime promotion of the prototypical modern barihunk (Nathan Gunn), seems largely immune to the charms of that subset of singers these days. Most of the pretty boys who do hit their stage seem to disappear as soon as their Lindemann gig is up.

• Krunoslav says:

“Stranger”??-- you wound me to the quick…

• bluecabochon says:

• Regina delle fate says:

He even made little impression in Wexford which has 750 seats…..Quite nice looking, and, er, something I can’t think of right now.

• Krunoslav says:

That was the famed Speedo entrance in LE ROI MALGRE LUI, also seen at Bard.

Again, the French was not accomplished and the tone mediocre.

• -Ed. says:

I don’t see any women listed in the cast.

I wonder if this is the same production of Billy Budd that I saw at San Francisco back in the late 90s or so. My strongest memory is that the cast spent about half the evening Velcro-ed to the scenery walls, singing away.

• papopera says:

To quote an immemorial old joke, the only female in the cast of Billy Budd would be the sailor whose turn it is to be inside the barrel.

• Poison Ivy says:

Speaking of the all male thing, TT in his review of La Boheme called Alexey Markov “vocally virile.” We know where HIS heart was during the performance.

The alternate cast of Billy Budd preparing on the other side of the pond