• armerjacquino: Maybe because they noticed hat at the time the *production* was set, Italy did exist. 2:27 PM
  • redbear: Most of the audience (all?) missed the reference to Silvo Berlusconi even though, as Scarpia was getting head, a map of Italy (a... 2:14 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: Well, since I became semi-retired and joined the ranks of the idle non-rich, I have more time on my hands than is good... 1:28 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I was lucky enough to see the original cast on Broadway and had the OC-LP for years. Strange that it took... 1:27 PM
  • antikitschychick: dang that does sound like it’s going to be good! But I have so much studying to do…don’ ;t know hw... 1:06 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: One hour until Berlin Philharmonic live concert at Digital Concert Hall. Anna Caterina Antonacci debuts with the... 1:02 PM
  • armerjacquino: Speaking of sponsors, I’m afraid I’m going to have to decline the kind offer to give them $100 the Met has just... 1:00 PM
  • armerjacquino: DCF: the way you describe Scarpia is one way of playing it, sure, but there’s plenty in the text to support a... 12:53 PM

Male fraud

Has Los Angeles Opera mentioned lately that Billy Budd has an all-male cast?

• operanow says:

How is Greer Grimsley just making his debut when others are returning?
    That guy has been screwed royally.

• Sempre liberal says:

I am fond of all-male casts:

• LittleMasterMiles says:

Gay tenor bashed in Sweden
    “Rickard (Rick) Soderberg, a well-known rainbow activist, was pelted with stones and eggs on Friday night after a rehearsal at Malmö Opera. Rick says it was in the same area as he was first attacked four years ago and it follows a rising tide of incoming hate mail on his social media.”

Important UNRELATED statement from Marilyn Horne in Washington Post today:
    “Teachers are generally .?.?. teaching singers to sing more darkly,” she said. “I think this all has come to real fruition now. It all started way back with the microphone and television, and now HD [broadcasts] and electronic sound developed [so] now the darker singing sounds better, whereas the singing you really need, the good old chiaroscuro of Italian, is really on the back burner. There are fewer of us teaching that bright voice with darkness behind it, that’s got to carry. .?.?. I’m afraid we might be losing that great thrilling sound.”

• LittleMasterMiles says:

OK that was all wrong. What I meant was:

“It’s a tragedy of ‘sexual discharge gone evil’.”

• operanow says:

I wasn’t trying to impugn others. I’m just boggled by the lack of unanimous heralding of grimsleys abilities.

• operanow says:

As for Rick, I’d say stop going there. Doctor: my arm hurts when I go like this. Doctor: then don’t go like that.

• m. croche says:

All-male cast…

• Patrick Mack says:

We’re so pathetically bush league out here. Please allow to apologize for the LA Opera.
    At least they didn’t have to translate the title of the work into English so they could talk down to the most multi cultural city on earth. Have pity.

• pobrediablo says:

I don’t understand what the issue is.

• Batty Masetto says:

Pobre, the writer manages to lead off two sentences in a row with “all-male cast” in the course of a passage that’s not more than about 50 words. Apparently somebody can’t wait to see that manly cast of all those manly men in that manly opera about manly men.

• Krunoslav says:

The BILLY BUDD cast looks to be very strong *except* for the Billy Budd, vocally not a match for many conservatory students I’ve heard lately: a mediocre sound with too much tremolo for the rep he does and no particular imagination.

Liam Bonner is in the James Valenti class of singer. A missed opportunity, as Croft and Grimsley should be excellent.

C’mon Krunoslavsky—he looks so nice in his Speedos!
      Perhaps the long-lost and usually expurgated “Sun-Bathing Scene” will be re-inserted into the opera? We can only hope so.

Bonner was excellent as both actor and singer in the ENO COSI a couple of years ago.

• bluecabochon says:

He was quite fine in SILENT NIGHT and the recent Peter Grimes concert.

• Krunoslav says:

He sang bad French in SILENT NIGHT, and showed that tremolo, and was ‘decent’ , but no more, in the GRIMES, unless one was gong by looks and not voice or musicality.

Always happy to see Armer happy to disagree with me.

Maybe I enjoyed Bonner’s performance and that’s why I said so? I’m afraid I don’t base my opinions on what a stranger on the Internet thinks.

• steveac10 says:

Whatever his merits, he seems to have settled in as the preferred young lyric baritone on the 1st & 2nd tier regional circuit. I don’t find him objectionable, but there are others I would rather hear. I can say that living in Pittsburgh, I’ve seen a fair bit of him. Pleasant is the word that comes to mind. But I will grant he is a charmer in interviews. His Met career to date has also been a bit of a bust, with a couple of minor roles a few years back. The Met, despite it’s longtime promotion of the prototypical modern barihunk (Nathan Gunn), seems largely immune to the charms of that subset of singers these days. Most of the pretty boys who do hit their stage seem to disappear as soon as their Lindemann gig is up.

• Krunoslav says:

“Stranger”??-- you wound me to the quick…

• bluecabochon says:

• Regina delle fate says:

He even made little impression in Wexford which has 750 seats…..Quite nice looking, and, er, something I can’t think of right now.

• Krunoslav says:

That was the famed Speedo entrance in LE ROI MALGRE LUI, also seen at Bard.

Again, the French was not accomplished and the tone mediocre.

• -Ed. says:

I don’t see any women listed in the cast.

I wonder if this is the same production of Billy Budd that I saw at San Francisco back in the late 90s or so. My strongest memory is that the cast spent about half the evening Velcro-ed to the scenery walls, singing away.

• papopera says:

To quote an immemorial old joke, the only female in the cast of Billy Budd would be the sailor whose turn it is to be inside the barrel.

• Poison Ivy says:

Speaking of the all male thing, TT in his review of La Boheme called Alexey Markov “vocally virile.” We know where HIS heart was during the performance.

The alternate cast of Billy Budd preparing on the other side of the pond