• Camille: Oh yes, my parents got to hear Swarthout in their college days and invariably referred to her as... 5:36 PM
  • Camille: Well, that reminds me of another thing: Don José stood and listened to and witnessed Carmen’s... 5:18 PM
  • marshiemarkII: And Quinn was absolutely sublime as Marcello at the beginning of the season, saw him twice and... 5:05 PM
  • armerjacquino: have all the fun and don’t die at the end! Also, since the cards tell Carmen the truth, we can... 5:05 PM
  • marshiemarkII: Well Ryan Speedo Green of course, who was magnificent in everything he did during his... 5:03 PM
  • laddie: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=j16A WuSztsc 5:03 PM
  • La Cieca: Happy birthday Elizabeth Taylor! httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=lqyY PgRBdS4&start =55 4:59 PM
  • armerjacquino: Speaking of awards and prizes… Who have we heard? http://www.bbc.co. uk/mediacentre/... 4:57 PM
  • kennedet: I enjoyed the You Tube excerpts. The voice still has a lyric quality which I enjoy. Too much bulk,... 4:55 PM
  • marshiemarkII: CammiB, two birds of a feather, my first opera ever was Carmen with Resnik and Coca Cola. I... 4:50 PM

Prognosis negative

Which opera rag has just done away with its new publisher, less than three months after a much-publicized hire?

• m. croche says:

A real whodunit.

Or dunwhatsit.

• operaassport says:

How many opera rags are even left?

• rysanekfreak says:

Pamela Dunaway…Opera News?

• ML says:

It is possible that she herself realized it wasn’t something she wanted to do. Perhaps too small-scale?

• Volte-Face says:

Parterre Box?

• redbear says:

A bit of humor to lighten the mood from Joseph Calleja:

• The Anna Netrebko Digest? Oh and by the way she’s out of tonight’s Elisir.

• stignanispawn says:

I never understood why Pamela Dunaway was hired by Opera News/MOG in the first place. After seeing this blind item, I went back and reread a press release about her appointment and had the same reaction as when I first read it.
    I feel badly for Ms. Dunaway because, simply put, she should not have been hired as publisher and chief marketing officer of Opera News. Given her past experience, at least as reported in the media, she should have known it wasn’t a good match. This is reminiscent of the Met’s Hugh Southern debacle during the 1980′s.

• Flora del Rio Grande says:

Well Stig, Gelb has long been planning his revenge against
    Opera News (remember all that?), and I guess Pamela was
    supposed to be it — since the Geo Washington Bridge has
    been done.
    I no longer bother to read Opera Snooze, and I doubt this
    change will make much difference.

• ML says:

That makes sense, and agreed on the snoozy aspect.

Does anyone know what happened exactly? Was she canned? Who canned her? Who’s in charge now?

Has Gelb failed in his “revenge”?

• Chanterelle says:

Norman Lebrecht just reported this as a fait accompli, asking “what happened?” Good question--Dunaway was barely on long enough to bring out a single issue.