• antikitschychick: Evening Everyone, First of all I apologize for taking so long to report back about my recent quadruple dose of operas... 12:34 AM
  • DerLeiermann: I fear Miss Netrebko might not be as photogenic as I first thought. On camera she can look a bit plump and,ocasionally, too... 11:47 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: I’ve said here several times that I’m not a big fan of opera in audio only (except for Baroque). Opera is... 11:31 PM
  • DerLeiermann: Thank you for this info , Donna Anna. I’ll see if my theater has the encores. I suppose I should also consider... 11:26 PM
  • DerLeiermann: Wow, this is pure TRASH. I can’t believe it won 4Tonys. (Though know that I know against they were won to it makes... 11:18 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Surprising to read here about the production being dark in HD – it looked very good in our theater, no problems with... 11:11 PM
  • Krunoslav: When I see those COCO clips, I have always wanted to throw things. Everyone knew she could neither sing nor dance, but to me... 10:48 PM
  • Camille: Uebermächte, dammit! Now goodnite, mother! 10:47 PM

The wrong note drag

“…the Met’s brand new production of Die Fledermaus, which premiered on New Year’s Eve, is overproduced, undersung and interminable, less a holiday entertainment than a checklist of opera-making skills the company can’t seem to master.” [New York Observer]

• Feldmarschallin says:

Yesterday the second Onegin again a sold out house and many looking for tickets outside. Bachler has been very lucky and while it was clear that the Forzas would all be sold out in a heartbeat one didn’t expect this Onegin and the Traviata’s to sell out as well. No lack of interest in opera here and many people were looking for tickets yesterday. Also many younger people in the audience and at the first performance I heard that there were two drags queens who were in a house box above Bachlers box. Here the whole story about the drag queens at the opera with pictures:

Mutti und Winnie gehen in die Oper:

So apparently opera is not a thing of the past or that houses will close and seasons will be drastically cut.

• grimoaldo says:

“apparently opera is not a thing of the past or that houses will close and seasons will be drastically cut”
    Well you are talking about an opera house that consistently puts together good casts in productions that its local audience enjoys, which is far from the case in a lot of other places.

In the case of this Onegin, I would be surprised if people are coming for the cast -not many established artists in it-, my conjecture would be that the are attracted by the “buzz” of the Warlikowski production.

But Munich is not the only city that sells tickets: Paris may be unpopular among Parterrians, but the popularity and vitality of opera in Paris depends, fortunately, on the French public and on tourists to the city. And here are some data points: the whole run of the upcoming Alcina at Garnier and Zauberflöte at Bastille are already sold out; the upcoming run of Lakmé at the Opéra Comique has been completely sold out for months (much of the season of the Opéra Comique is already sold out, actually) ; the Carmélites at the TCE in December was completely sold out; last but not least, the Einstein on the Beach at the Châtelet is already completely sold out. That’s a lot of opera tickets sold, for many kinds of opera, on many different stages!

• grimoaldo says:

I hope you are going to that Alcina oedipe and will tell us all about it, I know it is not a new production but I am curious about the cast.

If I can manage to get a ticket, Grim. It’s been full for a while now and I didn’t think to book early enough. I do have tickets to all the other sold out things though :-)

• papopera says:

There is a traditional way to obtain tickets in Paris by paying a generous bribe at the box office. Say 10­€. Always works.