• Quanto Painy Fakor: Was the so-called rare Caruso recording of “Dai campi, dai prati” included in... 7:39 AM
  • redbear: Der Vogel 6:23 AM
  • redbear: You need to hear Selma Kurtz singing Die Volgel im Walde! 6:21 AM
  • Ilka Saro: Whoops my bad. I only watched the video of the aria itself. I see the chairs are still there in... 6:20 AM
  • Ilka Saro: The Met Player performance from Oct 11 is the one I watched. I found it on youtube as well.... 6:14 AM
  • redbear: The city of Nice has received an important donation. Over 3000 recordings, 78s, were received and... 5:58 AM
  • Krunoslav: Buster, please keep an eye out for any further news. 5:34 AM
  • Krunoslav: The only thinkable recording, which also preserves the bel canto Canio of Our Own Frank Mullings,... 5:29 AM
  • Krunoslav: Marcus Farnsworth was ROBBED! -Ruoert C. 5:22 AM
  • Buster: Happy to read about Alexandra von der Weth’ s succesful return to the opera stage:... 4:50 AM

The wrong note drag

“…the Met’s brand new production of Die Fledermaus, which premiered on New Year’s Eve, is overproduced, undersung and interminable, less a holiday entertainment than a checklist of opera-making skills the company can’t seem to master.” [New York Observer]

• Feldmarschallin says:

Yesterday the second Onegin again a sold out house and many looking for tickets outside. Bachler has been very lucky and while it was clear that the Forzas would all be sold out in a heartbeat one didn’t expect this Onegin and the Traviata’s to sell out as well. No lack of interest in opera here and many people were looking for tickets yesterday. Also many younger people in the audience and at the first performance I heard that there were two drags queens who were in a house box above Bachlers box. Here the whole story about the drag queens at the opera with pictures:

Mutti und Winnie gehen in die Oper:

So apparently opera is not a thing of the past or that houses will close and seasons will be drastically cut.

• grimoaldo says:

“apparently opera is not a thing of the past or that houses will close and seasons will be drastically cut”
    Well you are talking about an opera house that consistently puts together good casts in productions that its local audience enjoys, which is far from the case in a lot of other places.

In the case of this Onegin, I would be surprised if people are coming for the cast -not many established artists in it-, my conjecture would be that the are attracted by the “buzz” of the Warlikowski production.

But Munich is not the only city that sells tickets: Paris may be unpopular among Parterrians, but the popularity and vitality of opera in Paris depends, fortunately, on the French public and on tourists to the city. And here are some data points: the whole run of the upcoming Alcina at Garnier and Zauberflöte at Bastille are already sold out; the upcoming run of Lakmé at the Opéra Comique has been completely sold out for months (much of the season of the Opéra Comique is already sold out, actually) ; the Carmélites at the TCE in December was completely sold out; last but not least, the Einstein on the Beach at the Châtelet is already completely sold out. That’s a lot of opera tickets sold, for many kinds of opera, on many different stages!

• grimoaldo says:

I hope you are going to that Alcina oedipe and will tell us all about it, I know it is not a new production but I am curious about the cast.

If I can manage to get a ticket, Grim. It’s been full for a while now and I didn’t think to book early enough. I do have tickets to all the other sold out things though :-)

• papopera says:

There is a traditional way to obtain tickets in Paris by paying a generous bribe at the box office. Say 10­€. Always works.