• spiderman: Has anybody actually seen this cast list? http://www.opera.m c/fr/saison/tannha euser-92 5:04 PM
  • FigaroFigaro: Yes, she finished up the matinee of Siegfried at about 6:50 yesterday– she was fabulous, though if course it’s... 5:01 PM
  • phoenix: Thanks DSS! I thought I might be the only one … – I got that last sentence from my late mother, who used to work for... 4:53 PM
  • antikitschychick: “Bitches on Horses going Whoop Whoop” Hahaha OMG I cracked up so hard at this! Phrase du mois for sure and... 4:25 PM
  • Chenier631: What a dramatic developement! Didn’t Goerke have a Siegfried performance yesterday in Houston????? And she’s doing... 4:10 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: Last year, I left Ms. Goerke on that giant hotplate at the end of “The Valkyrie” in Houston. Didn’t get... 4:08 PM
  • La Cieca: “When I say the onstage action Saturday afternoon at the Met was overshadowed by what was going on in the auditorium,... 4:06 PM
  • JohninSeattle: Or as BAB might call it, ““Bitches on Horses Playing with Matches.” 3:49 PM

She is a diamond

“La Cieca cannot imagine it is much fun to sing ‘Dove sono’ when you’re suffering a fresh case of the Reno jumpy-wumps.”

In the December 1998 issue of parterre box, your doyenne muses on Renée Fleming and Aprile Millo; Our Own JJ reviews a recording of the Callas master classes; Enzo Bordello, Dawn Fatale and Nakamura Akira chime in from three continents; Roy Wood gushes over Kathleen Battle; and Dr. Repertoire dissects Cinderella and Company. [Download Issue #34]

• 1
    armerjacquino says:

‘Sondra Radvanovsky’s firmly voiced, creamy toned utterances as the Priestess…’

Good spot!

• 2
    kashania says:

Can’t wait to read every word. This has quickly become my favourite new regular feature on parterre.

• 3
    rysanekfreak says:

Did we ever get a reveal for the blind item?—the NYCO guy who was pimping out go-go boys?

• 4
    Porgy Amor says:

“…much to the annoyance of producer Franco Zeffirelli, who wanted to offer the role to an attractive protégée of his (a girl, I mean).” Gold.

For anyone did not know or has forgotten, Jurgen Flimm and Erich Wonder were the then-unnamed director and designer (respectively) whose proposed Traviata was nixed in favor of the ’98 Zeffirelli. Maybe theirs would have been better. Both men debuted with other operas a few years later. Flimm’s Met Fidelio and Salome were fixtures over the next decade; Wonder’s only Met work has been Doktor Faust, which had six performances in 2001.

• 5
    Feldmarschallin says:

‘Besides he’s fat as a pig’. Perhaps the poster who complained about what I said about Botha will keep his mouth shut now. I see I am in the best of company and Hadley isn’t nearly as fat and ugly as Botha. If someone is offended they needn’t read what I write.

• 5.1
      Porgy Amor says:

You mean “wasn’t,” of course. RIP.

Speaking of Botha, he turns up several pages later, badly reviewed for a Chicago Gioconda: “Johan Botha’s leathery voice droned on and on at dynamic levels of mezza-forte or higher; it would be hard to imagine a more clueless approach to Enzo’s gratifying music.” He sounds to have been the same bore then that he is now.

• 6
    antikitschychick says:

“timbre is the surface of singing, the equivalent of infatuation, not love”. Absolutely brilliant analogy. Love reading your opera zine magazines Cieca! Thanks for providing these :-D.

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas/holiday :-D.

• 7
    kashania says:

Greg Baker made a strong impression as Amonasro, his dark, resonant baritone savoring the words and music to maximum dramatic effect. He should reconsider that final solo bow: going down on both knees and embracing himself was a bit girly for Amonasro.

• 7.1
      Porgy Amor says:

A sampling of Gregg Baker’s excellent Crown from the Nunn/Rattle Porgy and Bess. Okay, the hair is a bit Coming to America or Cosby Show but even the meticulously in-period production is unavoidably of its own time.

• 8
    Spen says:

Grrrr, I don’t like Dr. Repetoire. Saying Bartoli’s singing is amateurish and she is no singer at all! No, no, no, no, no….