• marshiemarkII: Lindoro Lindoro Lindoro, you know I like you and all, but this is a crazy crazy crazy... 10:24 PM
  • Satisfied: She’s gorgeous….bu t unfortunately suffers from resting bitch face. Not her fault,... 9:11 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I think so. The Mimis are still TBA. 9:06 PM
  • kennedet: Interesting article,redbear. I’ve read Sellars comments before regarding opera needing... 9:00 PM
  • antikitschychick: Oh it’s certainly more than just on her radar dear Milady. http://www.nyti... 8:56 PM
  • LT: For example this one. She’s making her Met debut soon. Though, I suspect they won’t invite... 8:27 PM
  • LT: Oh, I just checked now. It was opposite the Adriana of Mara Zampieri. httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=... 8:22 PM
  • LT: Garanca has a different kind of “bitch” ; personality – ice queen, which doesn’t... 8:20 PM
  • LT: I think she did once I think more than 20 years ago. Plus, I don’t see her singing at the Met ever... 8:17 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Here’s the ovations on youtube. It does sound like there was some small but persistent... 7:51 PM

She is a diamond

“La Cieca cannot imagine it is much fun to sing ‘Dove sono’ when you’re suffering a fresh case of the Reno jumpy-wumps.”

In the December 1998 issue of parterre box, your doyenne muses on Renée Fleming and Aprile Millo; Our Own JJ reviews a recording of the Callas master classes; Enzo Bordello, Dawn Fatale and Nakamura Akira chime in from three continents; Roy Wood gushes over Kathleen Battle; and Dr. Repertoire dissects Cinderella and Company. [Download Issue #34]

‘Sondra Radvanovsky’s firmly voiced, creamy toned utterances as the Priestess…’

Good spot!

Can’t wait to read every word. This has quickly become my favourite new regular feature on parterre.

• rysanekfreak says:

Did we ever get a reveal for the blind item?—the NYCO guy who was pimping out go-go boys?

• Porgy Amor says:

“…much to the annoyance of producer Franco Zeffirelli, who wanted to offer the role to an attractive protégée of his (a girl, I mean).” Gold.

For anyone did not know or has forgotten, Jurgen Flimm and Erich Wonder were the then-unnamed director and designer (respectively) whose proposed Traviata was nixed in favor of the ’98 Zeffirelli. Maybe theirs would have been better. Both men debuted with other operas a few years later. Flimm’s Met Fidelio and Salome were fixtures over the next decade; Wonder’s only Met work has been Doktor Faust, which had six performances in 2001.

• Feldmarschallin says:

‘Besides he’s fat as a pig’. Perhaps the poster who complained about what I said about Botha will keep his mouth shut now. I see I am in the best of company and Hadley isn’t nearly as fat and ugly as Botha. If someone is offended they needn’t read what I write.

• Porgy Amor says:

You mean “wasn’t,” of course. RIP.

Speaking of Botha, he turns up several pages later, badly reviewed for a Chicago Gioconda: “Johan Botha’s leathery voice droned on and on at dynamic levels of mezza-forte or higher; it would be hard to imagine a more clueless approach to Enzo’s gratifying music.” He sounds to have been the same bore then that he is now.

• antikitschychick says:

“timbre is the surface of singing, the equivalent of infatuation, not love”. Absolutely brilliant analogy. Love reading your opera zine magazines Cieca! Thanks for providing these :-D .

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas/holiday :-D .

Greg Baker made a strong impression as Amonasro, his dark, resonant baritone savoring the words and music to maximum dramatic effect. He should reconsider that final solo bow: going down on both knees and embracing himself was a bit girly for Amonasro.

• Porgy Amor says:

A sampling of Gregg Baker’s excellent Crown from the Nunn/Rattle Porgy and Bess. Okay, the hair is a bit Coming to America or Cosby Show but even the meticulously in-period production is unavoidably of its own time.

• Spen says:

Grrrr, I don’t like Dr. Repetoire. Saying Bartoli’s singing is amateurish and she is no singer at all! No, no, no, no, no….