• PCally: So many of my favorite artists were born in this day! I love it 9:39 PM
  • Camille: httpv://youtube.co m/watch?v=EKiqthx0 GKw Hoping everyone had a safe and happy celebration. 8:42 PM
  • Stefan: I wouldn’t call it boring but lets just say, not very exciting (to be tactful). On a separate note, I found out two days ago... 8:36 PM
  • PCally: Hmmm well personally I do tend to find La Juive a pretty boring opera and I’ve loved a couple of productions that I’ve... 6:56 PM
  • jackoh: Let me venture an opinion that I am not sure how far that I would go to defend. I don’t think that there is any such thing as a... 6:32 PM
  • aulus agerius: Such a boring opera…..I couldn’t stick with it. Those 2 sopranos going on and on. I’m having a hard time... 5:45 PM
  • RosinaLeckermaul: Went to NABUCCO at the Royal Opera last night. Other than Jamie Barton in the small role of Fenena and John Relyea as... 4:55 PM
  • Fidelia: For info for those who left the chat before the production team came out for bows. There was the usual battle between boos and... 3:51 PM

Scent of a maestro

“I am Fabio Luisi – a professional musician and conductor in international concert halls and opera houses, involved in many aspects of music and art. For many years I have also had a secret passion for another art which I have studied and practiced to bring to you today: perfumery.” [FL Parfums]

• 21
    Cicciabella says:

This explains why the La Scala orchestra musicians prefer Luisi over Chailly. They were hoping for a regular supply of free perfume samples: http://tinyurl.com/plq3fpy.

• 21.1
      stehparterre says:

Too late……. Chailly will be the next La Scala Man, and ….. it will stink!!!!!

• 21.1.1
        kashania says:

Why will it stink? I’m not being combative but genuinely curious because I don’t have much experience with Chailly in opera. I think the only opera I’ve heard him conduct is the 1977 SFO Turandot with Caballe/Pavarotti. I have heard him conduct some marvelous Mahler with the Concertgebow.

• 22
    Marcello says:

After hearing him conducting the new Fidelio in Zurich, I wonder how he got into his jobs. His conducting was entirely forgettable, except that it was constantly too loud for the small Zurich house.
    Nonetheless, he posted the first review that mentioned him favourably on the Opernhaus facebook page. And now this story about his perfumes …
    This sort of thing may be okay for Netrebko & Co, but not for a conductor who wants to be taken seriously.

• 22.1
      Andrew says:

Marcello, have you really been at the Fidelio Premiere in Zurich? It was simply gorgeous, the best Fidelio Zurich ever had (after Haitink’s and Gatti’s failures, and maybe even better than Harnoncourt’s). Too bad he couldn’t be in the pit for the new Met’s Falstaff. Many of us missed him in New York.

• 22.1.1
        stehparterre says:

We missed Fabio at the Met, we still miss him….. Please come back soon and take over Falstaff….
        And about perfumes: I was told he really blends them by himself without any help…. not like other stars who just go to their PR and pay for having a perfume made by who knows whom (mostly the industry).
        Marcello, we have understood you don’t like him….. We do like him! And maybe we will also like his perfumes.

• 23
    Cicciabella says:

How can you not take a conductor who peddles a perfume called Peau D’Un Homme seriously? He probably means peau d’un home who has just conducted four hours of Wagner in an overheated theatre. If that’s not “deliciously irresistible” I don’t know what is.

• 23.1
      Belfagor says:

I believe the Met orchestra is clubbing together to purchase a crate of samples to present to Gergiev so they don’t have to hold their respective noses during hours of some endless Russian opera or other……….

• 23.1.1
        MontyNostry says:

Maybe Valery just doesn’t have time for a shower in his overfilled schedule.

• 23.1.1.1
          Buster says:

Bluebeard / Iolanthe tonight. The production that will travel to the Met, with Nadja Michael and Netrebko.

• 23.1.1.2
          Porgy Amor says:

I think he plays the “eccentric absentminded genius” card, Monty. You know, “I’m so dedicated and so absorbed in scores that I wear the same underwear and socks for days and forget to bathe.” That is not a direct quote, but I have read something to that effect. I wish there were evidence of that intense concentration and study in his performances, which I rarely find outstanding when I know the piece well enough to have any frame of reference.

• 23.1.2
        stehparterre says:

There are two of them:
        first place: Gergiev
        second place: YNZ (aka “onion soup”)
        They both could use Mr. Luisi’s scents -- or whatever can cover their transpirations