• antikitschychick: Evening Everyone, First of all I apologize for taking so long to report back about my recent quadruple dose of operas... 12:34 AM
  • DerLeiermann: I fear Miss Netrebko might not be as photogenic as I first thought. On camera she can look a bit plump and,ocasionally, too... 11:47 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: I’ve said here several times that I’m not a big fan of opera in audio only (except for Baroque). Opera is... 11:31 PM
  • DerLeiermann: Thank you for this info , Donna Anna. I’ll see if my theater has the encores. I suppose I should also consider... 11:26 PM
  • DerLeiermann: Wow, this is pure TRASH. I can’t believe it won 4Tonys. (Though know that I know against they were won to it makes... 11:18 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Surprising to read here about the production being dark in HD – it looked very good in our theater, no problems with... 11:11 PM
  • Krunoslav: When I see those COCO clips, I have always wanted to throw things. Everyone knew she could neither sing nor dance, but to me... 10:48 PM
  • Camille: Uebermächte, dammit! Now goodnite, mother! 10:47 PM

Save the date!

La Cieca asks all members of the cher public in the New York City area to pencil in 3:00 pm on Sunday, November 24 as combination meet-and-greet of the parterriani and viewing of the HD film of Les Vêpres siciliennes at Symphony Space.

Your doyenne will arrange (as possible) a discount rate for a parterre group for the video of the Stefan Herheim staging from the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, and for the moment she asks you all to consider whether you are interested in attending such an event. She’ll get a head count (not unlike dear Duchess Hélène) a little later this month as arrangements begin to gel.

• mountmccabe says:

I would love to see this.

• bluecabochon says:

Congratulations to Manou, grandmother of the year. Boy or girl?

• grimoaldo says:

Many congrats to treasurable manou!

Everyone is very kind and I am very touched, but I am afraid we should not take up any more room here with matters neonatal -- La Cieca will soon lose patience!

• Satisfied says:

I’m there LC!!

• newlyaddicted says:

Was anyone else at Symphony Space this passed Sunday for La Donna Del Lago?
    What the f*#k was wrong with the projection, I’ve seen better picture quality from YouTube on my phone.
    Granted the sound was great and the singer outstanding so it was a lovely afternoon. I can’t imagine going that far up town to see another broadcast that looks like it was filtered through instagram by a 12 year old.
    Of course I rushed home to look on Intermezzo for production photographs to find out what exactly was going on and why DiDonato started and ended the Opera in a glass case attended by Victorian Gentlemen. That’s when I realized I might have been better off with the completely solerized projection and no background detail at Symphony Space.

That Donna del lago was really a damp squib (an appropriate analogy for Guy Fawkes’ Day). Nobody had much of an idea what was going on (except the director and perhaps the members of the cast) and the ‘concept’, such as it was, sunk out of sight in the course of the opera and it morphed into a conventional production of the most banal kind. That being said, the image of Joyce floating in her glass case was rather beautiful.

• newlyaddicted says:

At Symphony space we could only see about 20% of the picture, the rest was black or blacker. Seems that was a good thing.
    If it really was a Damp Squid of a production maybe Geld will import it to the Met.
    He can’t just import his Squibs from ENO

• Jamie01 says:

Any chance JJ will make an appearance?