• Porgy Amor: I got the same reaction when I took a friend to a local Trovatore years ago, grim. General enjoyment throughout but then a... 8:01 AM
  • grimoaldo: ” I’ve decided that Traviata maybe isn’t the best opera to introduce the art form to someone. Too much prolonged... 7:02 AM
  • grimoaldo: ” She just kept whining on and on about the painting with a kind of pouty bitchy face, facing the stage and gesturing to... 6:08 AM
  • grimoaldo: Thank you for all that antikitschychick, a most enjoyable read! 5:28 AM
  • Cicciabella: This week’s Building A Library on BBC Radio 3 concentrates on Norma. Ignore Roger Parker’s references to daddy... 4:11 AM
  • antikitschychick: Ach! Yet another blunder. Opera teen saw the same performance I saw since yesterday was the 28th. Apologies. I am... 2:04 AM
  • antikitschychick: sorry not a handful of times; but a handful of productions, with this one at the Met being her 7th, so more than a... 12:53 AM
  • antikitschychick: Found a good review of the November 28th performance, (same one Camille saw) by Opera Teen: https://operate... 12:30 AM

Save the date!

La Cieca asks all members of the cher public in the New York City area to pencil in 3:00 pm on Sunday, November 24 as combination meet-and-greet of the parterriani and viewing of the HD film of Les Vêpres siciliennes at Symphony Space.

Your doyenne will arrange (as possible) a discount rate for a parterre group for the video of the Stefan Herheim staging from the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, and for the moment she asks you all to consider whether you are interested in attending such an event. She’ll get a head count (not unlike dear Duchess Hélène) a little later this month as arrangements begin to gel.

• Krunoslav says:

How are we to trust that bassoprofundo won’t ring a bell and slaughter all of us?

• revolarepo says:

I am in

Hope that’s a marsala martini.

• La Cieca says:

“Three measures of Gordon’s, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it’s ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel.”

• Batty Masetto says:

Better: 2 parts Hendrick’s, 1 part vodka, 1 part regular Lillet. Try an orange twist instead. Bond’s version tastes rather … medicinal.

• laddie says:

I hope Kina Lillet means Lillet Blanc and that “regular” Lillet also means Lillet Blanc. :)

• Batty Masetto says:

Kina Lillet is no longer made, but is said to have been bitterer and more astringent. Closest modern equivalent is supposed to be “Cocchi Americano.” But yes, both are white. (Not red! Ecch. For the Rumpus Room only.)

after the theater entertainment will be:

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Who’s gonna be the Helene?

• alejandro says:

I would love to attend . . . but alas I have a rehearsal! :(

• redbear says:

It’s on in a few hours at my local cinema in Vincennes.

• Sanford says:

Hopefully Symphony SPace won’t have technical difficulties this time. I seem to recall that’s why the telecast of Carmen was cancelled when we met previosuly.

Well I have just capped a momentous day (birth of seventh grandchild) by attending the live HD relay of Vêpres so that I could compare Haroutounian with the Floraphobe. She did OK (came a cropper in the fiendish section of the Bolero), but then she is restored to health so comparisons are invidious.

Hymel did a brilliant (still neckless) job with excellent French -- but I still dislike the timbre. Schrott and Volle were pretty good, and it was interesting to see the production close up (Herheim explains the production wearing a very décolleté short-sleeved top. He looks like Burt Lancaster’s uglier brother).

Have fun on the 24th!

Mazel tov, manou!

Maybe Stefan’s very décolleté short-sleeved top was intended as an ironic commentary on Erwin’s very décolletée black evening dress.

On the night I went Haroutounian did a very good job of the bolero (not another sartorial reference) in purely technical terms, but it had very little élan/slancio -- or maybe it was just that I had sort of given up the will to live by that point.

Glad you approve of Hymel’s French, even if he doesn’t achieve a cou (sic) de théâtre.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Congratulations Manou!

When I saw it on Friday, Haroutounian’s Bolero seemed very tentative and careful, but it was all pretty much spot on, just terribly quiet!

• mountmccabe says:

I would love to see this.

• bluecabochon says:

Congratulations to Manou, grandmother of the year. Boy or girl?

• grimoaldo says:

Many congrats to treasurable manou!

Everyone is very kind and I am very touched, but I am afraid we should not take up any more room here with matters neonatal -- La Cieca will soon lose patience!

• Satisfied says:

I’m there LC!!

• newlyaddicted says:

Was anyone else at Symphony Space this passed Sunday for La Donna Del Lago?
    What the f*#k was wrong with the projection, I’ve seen better picture quality from YouTube on my phone.
    Granted the sound was great and the singer outstanding so it was a lovely afternoon. I can’t imagine going that far up town to see another broadcast that looks like it was filtered through instagram by a 12 year old.
    Of course I rushed home to look on Intermezzo for production photographs to find out what exactly was going on and why DiDonato started and ended the Opera in a glass case attended by Victorian Gentlemen. That’s when I realized I might have been better off with the completely solerized projection and no background detail at Symphony Space.

That Donna del lago was really a damp squib (an appropriate analogy for Guy Fawkes’ Day). Nobody had much of an idea what was going on (except the director and perhaps the members of the cast) and the ‘concept’, such as it was, sunk out of sight in the course of the opera and it morphed into a conventional production of the most banal kind. That being said, the image of Joyce floating in her glass case was rather beautiful.

• newlyaddicted says:

At Symphony space we could only see about 20% of the picture, the rest was black or blacker. Seems that was a good thing.
    If it really was a Damp Squid of a production maybe Geld will import it to the Met.
    He can’t just import his Squibs from ENO

• Jamie01 says:

Any chance JJ will make an appearance?