• Clita del Toro: IVY: So, you don’t get Sayao. I personally love the little touches she puts into the... 4:22 PM
  • kashania: I’m not totally enamoured of Sayao either. In the Met Rigoletto broadcast, Warren and... 4:15 PM
  • Dabrowski: I’d be pretty surprised if Peter Gelb agreed to any of this without first checking with his... 4:13 PM
  • Dabrowski: Um, operaassport, you do realize that “bargaining unit” is not the same as... 4:12 PM
  • kashania: I don’t think it’s been filmed (I don’t think Bayreuth ever films a cycle in its... 4:11 PM
  • kashania: I agree. AGMA came out better than Met management. The savings will help for sure, but not enough... 4:10 PM
  • tannengrin: Is that a still from the “Castorf Ring” Rheingold? Has that been made available on... 4:08 PM
  • Dabrowski: There’s a me-too at E2b, a sure indication that AGMA and AFM are the more powerful of the... 4:05 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Thanks so much for these uploads! They are very interesting. I listened to the first broadcast... 4:03 PM
  • luvtennis: While it is clear that the crisis is past, I would not want to be the lawyer charged with drafting... 3:59 PM

Golden “Boys”

“Who knows what to expect from an opera about the Internet? But when Nico Muhly’s Two Boys evokes the complex mysteries of cyberspace in a series of shimmering choruses, it’s easy to think this is the most gorgeous music you’ve ever heard.” [New York Post]

• 98rsd says:

For those who weren’t there or didn’t listen, the detective is by far the largest role (I think), so that is telling…

Wait… you’re saying that the detective is the largest role in an opera about a police investigation? That BLOWS MY MIND.

• 98rsd says:

Perhaps it was blown sometime earlier. This was in reply to operacat (immediately above my post) who liked the opera, but thought the detective should have been left out of it.

• La Cieca says:

I would say the roles of the detective and Brian are about equal in length. She gets more “soliloquy” time, but he’s singing all though all those chat sessions.

• shoegirl says:

I liked the music. I listened online so it was all I could grab hold of, as most of the text was indecipherable. The choruses and orchestration were definitely muhlys forte. Would certainly like to have more muhly. Somebody commission some chamber choir works please. Or else I’ll get my group to…

Can see why people bemused at libretto though: dated plot, 1990s attitude to net, total faux pas on details like police use of IT circa 2001 (I was in and out of police stations in UK in later half of 01 and both networked mainframes and PCs were plentiful), and adoption was a feature that died out in the NW 10 years before the plot suggests, the detective a conflation of stereotypes that distracts from rather than adds to the plot. On the other hand, the choirboy as manipulator: love it. But it’s the music that matters.

• Sempre liberal says:

Listening at home, one could be aware of the banality of it all. It was painful to listen to, large passages with nothing captivating. Some of the choral stuff though, did attract brief attention.

I just wonder how much better it would be in house. I have tickets for next week, and I am debating just exchanging them for something else.

For those who found the soundtrack to be tepid, banal, derivative, and slapdash, did the visuals of the production redeem the evening? Were you able to tune out the music and just watch other aspects of the show?

• Salome Where She Danced says:

Go see it--if only for Appleby (he will wreck you). So much is cliched, outdated, or derivative, but PA is out of this world.

• Avantialouie says:

I am as old a fogey as exists on this forum. I am neither clutching my pearls nor considering “Two Boys” to be second rate trash. I enjoyed the challenge of hearing something new. I enjoyed what I heard. Am I waiting with bated breath to hear it again? Not particularly. The opera rates with me as a modest success. I consider it fully worthy of being done by the Metropolitan, but I am not standing in line for a ticket to the revival.

• operaassport says:

Then you’re obviously not the kind of “opera fan” I was referring to. Good for you.

• La Valkyrietta says:

I will go to see this, it is only two hours and a half long, they have cheap family circle seats, and nothing is better than to hear music live, and avantialouise and La Cieca’s remarks are encouraging. But please, don’t knock the old foggies. Nothing wrong with yearning for a Verdi hardly ever done, or for the glorious voices of yesteryear.

• operaassport says:

There is something wrong with it if that’s all you yearn for to the exclusion of anything new and challenging. I’ve been going to the opera since the mid 1960s but I don’t live in the past. I’m always interested in the new and different.

• La Valkyrietta says:

Nothing wrong with people having different preferences. I love the sister who wants the most avant garde piece as much as the one who demands a complete Vivaldi opera be produced, or the fun one who still enjoys thinking of Grace Bumbry rolling down the church stairs in Zeffirelli’s Cavalleria :)

• bergbag says:

The choral parts were the best. Not too long ago Trinity Church had a night of Muhly’s choral pieces with Anglican works he loves (Howells, Tallis). A good evening.

Otherwise, it was pretty boring. Not particularly challenging or interesting. I think he’s a good composer, but he might not be best with opera.

• thirdlady says:

yes, exactly! i thought “two boys” almost came off more as an oratorio than an opera…but i guess oratorios are less…marketable?

• Belfagor says:

As Verdi said of Gounod ‘talented, but he does not have the fibra drammatica’ -- which here is demonstrably true -- and it could be said of Ades, Turnage and others. Frankly, can’t think who does- among those writing presently…

• phoenix says:

But do audiences today still expect la fibra drammatica in the music itself when attending contemporary live opera performances -- as they did in Verdi’s time? Has the art of opera in live performance become primarily a visual representation -> the drama expressed through staging, sets & costumes -- secondarily enhanced by music? Have the changing times brought on another dimension of performance style, one that at present eschews direct emotional contact through the music itself? Could this be why the music is the way it is now? Even the best I’ve heard recently on the internet streams -- Sebastian Rivas’ Aliandos -- leaves it up to each listener on their own to weave together la fibra drammatica:

• Indiana Loiterer III says:

Well this is the composer of Faust, a not entirely unsuccessful opera of the period, Verdi was talking about.

• phoenix says:

Well Indiana, sorry. In spite of the incredibly beautiful music in Faust I have to agree with Verdi -- Gounod’s masterpiece does not encompass la fibra drammatica. Still it is a masterpiece -la fibra drammaatica is not necessary for that. The thing I miss about performances of Faust nowadays (a tradition younger opera goers may never develop) is the omission of the complete Walpurgisnacht ballet. Whether it was written by Gounod himself or someone else -- doesn’t matter to me. I used to love to go to the old, old production at Met to see Faust -- Fenn, Montserrat C., Kabaivanksa, Corelli, Tucci, Freni, Pilou, Gedda, etc. all sang it and they always did the complete Walpurgisnacht ballet. Now I have read here and there that most contemporary stage directors cut the ballet nowadays with excuses that seem to boil down to: it interrupts la fibra drammatica. How can you interrupt la fibra drammattica there isn’t any fibra drammatica in the work itself? There are scenes depicting magic, crimes & melodramatic situations, but they are not woven together into any fibra drammatica I can recognize. The ballet is fun and serves a purpose -- to distract the audience’s attention from Gounod’s less than inspired writing for Acts 4 & 5 of the opera -- particularly in comparison to the brilliant lyricism of the first 3 acts.
          - Indiana, also sorry to loiter off onto the subject of contemporary opera performance -> the original subject of this thread.

• Belfagor says:

the problem is, Muhly, Ades and Turnage adhere to the 19th/early 20th century prototype of opera -- so they are similar to the masterpieces of yesteryear in aesthetic, and are all found wanting in terms of operatic craft. The new(er) wave -- the Glass pageant prototype is different, the music functions in a totally different, less event driven dramatic interventionist way -- yet in terms of narrative, story telling psychology, all these essential ingredients, there is so much that music can’t do…….

It’s hard, or possibly irrelevant to find a new path -- I mean the most modernist scene I can think of that seems to take lessons from film construction, jump cuts, close up and panorama, and all in 15 thrill packed minutes, is the opening scene of ‘Rigoletto’ vintage 1851……….top that!

• grimoaldo says:

With that comment, You Win the Internet.

Last night…
    I was in the lobby looking at the previews of Dos Muchachos, and the ballet swinging the laptops around mit looked like more fun than a barrel of monkeys, so, whether I like the music, (and I do think I heard something similar in some boys churchy music I’ve heard of George Benjamin’s, now I think of it) this old fogey is goin’!

Tickets can be had at a sixpence, so why the hell not? Help the kid out.