• Lady Abbado: Funny that even though more and more observers say that Angie’ voice has shrunk lately,... 3:59 PM
  • armerjacquino: Lucic was terrific in the Met TROVATORE I saw- sounded the real Verdian deal to me. He and the... 3:55 PM
  • MontyNostry: Lucic was rather good as Luna on the DVD, as I remember. 3:48 PM
  • kashania: It really was. I especially liked the way the whole “machineR 21; came to life at the... 3:21 PM
  • pasavant: Great review. How can I keep from confusing Michael Fabiano and Stephen Costello? I keep getting... 3:09 PM
  • WindyCityOperaman: You are welcom, my dear Tatiana, but I cannot claim full credit for this. It is La Cieca... 2:56 PM
  • Will: Yes, a review that gives the reader a real sense of the kind of excitement that must have been going on... 2:53 PM
  • MontyNostry: The set for that Trovatore was fabulous, though! 2:52 PM
  • diva2themax: Yeah last week was pretty special at the Met nothing like standard repertoire performed w/... 2:52 PM
  • MontyNostry: I heard an interesting view from a young soprano who has had some success in La traviata and she... 2:51 PM

A song at twilight

Yes, you’ve heard it already, but you might as well have an official place to talk about it: Marina Poplavskaya goes on tonight in Les Vêpres siciliennes at the Royal Opera House. But wait, there’s more.

Given the level of interest in this production, La Cieca thinks it would be fun to gather the parterre clan for a viewing of the HD of Vêpres here in New York on Sunday, November 24 at Symphony Space. This meet-up may also serve as a prelude to the festivities surrounding the 20th anniversary of the birth of parterre box, which, as La Cieca thinks hardly needs telling you, will be December 3, two decades to the day after the publication of the first issue of the queer opera zine.

More details on times and reservations for the Vêpres event will follow later this week.

Photo © ROH / Bill Cooper 2012

• Troppo Primavera says:

So Popsy has something in common with Ethel Merman,if not her indestructible pipes.Merman was allergic too flowers and asked her friends to send her false ones.The real ones went straight to the nearest hospital!

Didn’t the similarly allergic Jessye take a bouquet of artificial flowers around the world with her, feigning ‘FOR ME?’ surprise each time she was presented them?

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Is she really allergic to flowers, Monty? The reason I ask is because there were some photos of her touring the NY Botanical Gardens, where she made the acquaintance of some orchid expert, who then advised her on which orchids to buy for her own conservatory. I believe I saw pictures of that as well as heard stories. At one point, I believe she was involved with the NYBG, either serving on the board or some other advisory committee.

I haven’t followed Jessye’s career closely for a long time, so she might well have decided that orchids are acceptable — or maybe all the stuff about her allergies, and associated riders in her contracts, was simply urban (or music-industry) myth in the first place. But no-one could do that ‘FOR ME?’ look like she used to: the eyes popped, the grin spread … She certainly knew how to work the audience!

“We have no time to be a hothouse flower.” Marvellous! Reminiscent of Mrs Thatcher’s “We are a grandmother.”

• PetertheModest says:

Popsy is now out of Vepres. Her illness has persisted for longer than expected, and she must miss the HD.

• Clita del Toro says:

Popsy’s illness is overpartitis

• PetertheModest says:

Allergies + virus + exhaustion = need for rest. She has been doing too much, indeed, to many roles.

• Todd says:

Just got an email from Covent Garden announcing that Haroutounian is singing all the remaining performances--but that we can exchange tickets for something else if we’re really upset about it.

• PetertheModest says:

Really upset that Marina Poplavskaya will not sing the role of Helene in Vepres ?

What about ALEX PENDA????

• PetertheModest says:

Now Popsy is out, maybe they want a cover for Haroutounian, Stanisci, plus a cover for the cover, just in case. You never know how many of your leading ladies could get sick in a trice.