• PCally: Unfortunately I’ve never seen any of those ladies live but Jones and Studer (I can’t... 9:25 PM
  • Poison Ivy: One thing EMW does have that will work in her favor is a naturally sympathetic, warm stage... 9:07 PM
  • Bill: Westbroek may have the prerequisite volume for Elisabeth, but the persistent wobble absolutely turns me... 8:52 PM
  • PCally: I think Elisabeth is actually the right way for her to go. It’s not a very loud role and sits... 8:04 PM
  • whiskey per tutti: I’ve never understood what a “glassy̶ 1; tone is. Definition? YouTube... 6:46 PM
  • PCally: I still think she has the potential to be an excellent Elisabeth next season, dramatically... 5:19 PM
  • phoenix: ‘This is a classic case of NY getting her too late, when she was probably already past her... 4:58 PM
  • Buster: Bradic is indeed wonderful. She was in the ensemble in Antwerp a few years ago – saw her in... 4:30 PM
  • phoenix: I didn’t need another NYT Clinton endorsement, but read the article and enjoy it –... 4:29 PM
  • PushedUpMezzo: I was at one of the Dresden performances and she certainly convinced me. In fact, having heard... 4:16 PM

A song at twilight

Yes, you’ve heard it already, but you might as well have an official place to talk about it: Marina Poplavskaya goes on tonight in Les Vêpres siciliennes at the Royal Opera House. But wait, there’s more.

Given the level of interest in this production, La Cieca thinks it would be fun to gather the parterre clan for a viewing of the HD of Vêpres here in New York on Sunday, November 24 at Symphony Space. This meet-up may also serve as a prelude to the festivities surrounding the 20th anniversary of the birth of parterre box, which, as La Cieca thinks hardly needs telling you, will be December 3, two decades to the day after the publication of the first issue of the queer opera zine.

More details on times and reservations for the Vêpres event will follow later this week.

Photo © ROH / Bill Cooper 2012

• Troppo Primavera says:

So Popsy has something in common with Ethel Merman,if not her indestructible pipes.Merman was allergic too flowers and asked her friends to send her false ones.The real ones went straight to the nearest hospital!

Didn’t the similarly allergic Jessye take a bouquet of artificial flowers around the world with her, feigning ‘FOR ME?’ surprise each time she was presented them?

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Is she really allergic to flowers, Monty? The reason I ask is because there were some photos of her touring the NY Botanical Gardens, where she made the acquaintance of some orchid expert, who then advised her on which orchids to buy for her own conservatory. I believe I saw pictures of that as well as heard stories. At one point, I believe she was involved with the NYBG, either serving on the board or some other advisory committee.

I haven’t followed Jessye’s career closely for a long time, so she might well have decided that orchids are acceptable — or maybe all the stuff about her allergies, and associated riders in her contracts, was simply urban (or music-industry) myth in the first place. But no-one could do that ‘FOR ME?’ look like she used to: the eyes popped, the grin spread … She certainly knew how to work the audience!

“We have no time to be a hothouse flower.” Marvellous! Reminiscent of Mrs Thatcher’s “We are a grandmother.”

• PetertheModest says:

Popsy is now out of Vepres. Her illness has persisted for longer than expected, and she must miss the HD.

• Clita del Toro says:

Popsy’s illness is overpartitis

• PetertheModest says:

Allergies + virus + exhaustion = need for rest. She has been doing too much, indeed, to many roles.

• Todd says:

Just got an email from Covent Garden announcing that Haroutounian is singing all the remaining performances--but that we can exchange tickets for something else if we’re really upset about it.

• PetertheModest says:

Really upset that Marina Poplavskaya will not sing the role of Helene in Vepres ?

What about ALEX PENDA????

• PetertheModest says:

Now Popsy is out, maybe they want a cover for Haroutounian, Stanisci, plus a cover for the cover, just in case. You never know how many of your leading ladies could get sick in a trice.