• SF Guy: http://www.nytimes .com/2011/06/27/ar ts/alice-playten-a ctress-of-small-fr ame-big-voice-d... 5:09 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Strapping indeed! Thanks for that. I almost spit coffee on the keyboard and it... 4:45 AM
  • La Cieca: For extra points, cher public, a) identify the lead singer in this number from Henry, Sweet Henry,... 4:05 AM
  • Ruxxy: DellaCasaFan thank you for your input but I don’t need to study other cultures to know what is... 3:26 AM
  • tiger1: The same as LMM ! 2:50 AM
  • m. croche: And for those who couldn’t make it, Actual Footage of Batty’s Big Birthday Bash! 1:57 AM
  • m. croche: Watch Batty grow up from a baby to a strapping young man (with sidearm) in this highlights reel... 1:55 AM
  • Buster: Just got his 1934 Pagliacci with Tibbett, and Queena Mario. One of the most exciting Met broadcasts I... 1:42 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: Ruxxy says: “Re the veil — to you it may well be the pinnacle of sophistication... 11:57 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Party on! httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=3Ibd nTeMGpM 11:46 PM

Beware the abs of March

The pictured Zachary Gordin is only one (or, at most, three) of the plethora of pinups provided by this year’s 2014 Barihunks Charity Calendar, on sale now with all proceeds going to help support young artists and young artist programs.

• La Valkyrietta says:

Love Rudy.

• Krunoslav says:

I saw Rudi ( yes, with Margot) when I was 10, in R & J at the Garden! And I still remember their dancing and the fantastic Prokofiev music.

Kick myself that I did not exert myself to see Baryshnikov live more in my teen years, but he was on TV a lot. Glad to have seen *als Kind* some of the Balanchine legends — Patricia McBride, Jacques d’Amboise, Arthur Mitchell, Merrill Ashley, Violette Verdy, the utterly divine Kyra Nichols-probably my favorite-- and (once or twice) Suzanne Farrrell.

But Gelsey Kirkland’s weird energy gave me the creeps even when I was a pre-teen.

• Rackon says:

Kirkland was fantastically giftd, albeit psychologically flawed. Saw her dance many times, including a fabulous Giselle with Mischa. I was also present at a trainwreck of a Swan Lake at IU where she was so drugged out I truly feared she/someone might get seriously hurt.

Speaking of TV, it seems a shame so many dance masterpieces (unlike operas) are unavailable on DVD.
        My Who Cares/Mozartiana/Vienna Waltzes/Roses VHS tapes finally bit the dust. I wish PBS would release on dvd or make available for streaming their treasure trove of Live From Lincoln Center programs.

• Rackon says:

PS: Also saw Rudi and Margot as a child, our ballet school organized a trip. I was a huge Rudi fan, only surpassed by Edward Villela, when I saw him dance Rubies in Jewels. Balanchine changed my life.

Violette Verdy teaches at IU, sbout 50 mi from my doorstep. IU can be counted on for at least a couple of ballets by Mr. B per season (and sometimes Robbins, Ashton, Tharp, or Taylor). Their opera season is very good, and inexpensive too, as arrived the faculty recitals e.g. Menahem Pressler and members of the Pacifica Quartet, a superb concert that cost all of $12. The operas are live streamed and archived.

• bassoprofundo says:

This guy is a wretched, wretched singer:

But, who cares, opera singers are meant to be looked at, not heard, right?…

yup, he’s a baritone in the “Domingo is a baritone” vein…

• Feldmarschallin says:

They are both horrible. She is just as wretched as Violetta. You might as well take the Miss Piggy from the clip above as Violetta then at least it would have been funny. And people post these things on youtube. Well good for laughs.

• bassoprofundo says:

oops, here’s the video (if you can suffer through it):

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sOKYB3uVgWE

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

I made it through 39 seconds. Holy crap! And on Verdi’s birthday! Vergogna!

• bassoprofundo says:

Watching the HD of Onegin, I noticed that they cut a good 30 seconds out of the previously endless pause for the kiss at the end, making it a total of 32 seconds. Worked beautifully and both singers so much better than at the prima. Bravi.

• Gualtier M says:

Also, in Act I, Scene 1, Anna wears her hair in a braid down the side. Much more the style of a country mouse wallflower than the more typical Anna Netrebko free flowing wavy locks she had at the dress rehearsal and opening night. Gergiev picked it up a bit too but it was still rather lifeless and sodden. Gergiev is much better at Shostakovitch.

• La Cieca says:

The hair was definitely in the side braid for scenes 1 and 3 on opening night. The “flowing Anna locks” were in evidence only in the Letter Scene.

• Krunoslav says:

“Blanche Thebom dresses Marina in a long, cinch-waisted gown of deep, ermine-trimmed burgundy silk, designed by the artist’s mother after patterns she purchased in a Paris fashion house this Spring. The Ohio-born mezzo’s own floor-length hair is draped over her shoulder as she leads the Poloniase.”

• turings says:

I’m very jealous of anyone who got to see Baryshnikov dance in the 70′s and 80′s, but I did see him in Paris a couple of times in the last few years, and he was mesmerising, particularly in a piece called ‘Space’ by Mats Ek choreographed for him and Anna Laguna. It’s very spare, and the central relationship reminded me of something out of Beckett.

You can get it on video – here’s the trailer:

I love it though, when you get an older artist who has whatever rare mixture of intelligence and absolute honesty it is that allows them to keep having something new to say after they lose the athleticism of their youth. It reminded my of Johnny Cash’s last album in an odd sort of way.