• Grane: Hey, stories about musicians losing their instruments aren’t going to write themselves. 7:49 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I was there tonight. A great triumph for the company (some vocal snags but not... 7:29 PM
  • Sir Ferris: He also has a minor operatic connection through his grandmother, whose translation of Oscar Wilde... 6:55 PM
  • MontyNostry: … and the sad thing is that a lot of people out there think he is a real music journalist... 5:52 PM
  • RobNYNY: Pin = on. 5:50 PM
  • RobNYNY: “Robert le Diable” it’s pretty much the only opera that I can think of that... 5:50 PM
  • MontyNostry: Part of the problem is that Lebrecht almost certainly has little appreciation of opera or of... 5:32 PM
  • Dabrowski: Sorry, the second video I meant to link to was Fry’s movie “Wagner and Me”:... 5:16 PM
  • Dabrowski: I recently discovered this ludicrous piece of Lebrechtiana from last year: httpv://www.you... 5:15 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: I agree. 5:03 PM

Bean counter

Another season opens this weekend, the much-admired series of livestreams from the Bayerische Staatsoper. The live online telecasts begin with Wozzeck starring Simon Keenlyside on Sunday, October 6 at 1:00 PM EDT.

Further livestreams will include:

• Die Frau ohne Schatten directed by Krzysztof Warlikowski starring Johan Botha and Adrianne Pieczonka conducted by Kirill Petrenko (December 1)
  • La forza del destino directed by Martin Kusej and starring Jonas Kaufmann and Anja Harteros (December 28)
  • La clemenza di Tito starring Kristine Opolais and Toby Spence, conducted by Petrenko (February 15)
  • Die Soldaten directed by Andreas Kriegenburg and starring Barbara Hannigan (May 31)
  • Guillaume Tell starring Bryan Hymel and Michael Volle (June 28)
  • Monteverdi’s L’Orfeo with Christian Gerhaher (July 27)

• Maury D says:

Hm, Botha might be a pretty good Kaiser. I wonder if there’s any chance the role is on Kaufmann’s agenda.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Well originally it was to be Kaufmann and Harteros. They then decided against singing the roles of Kaiser and Kaiserin. I will already be at the Wozzeck tomorrow and then at the last one next Wednesday. The production is one of the best of the Staatsoper and shouldn’t be missed. Kriegenburg at his best and much, much better than the Ring.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

I saw Botha as the Kaiser in 2001 and he certainly sang it very well then, with the usual attendant complaints that he basically just stood there.

Sunday October 6, surely?

Well, if there IS a role for Botha, it would be der Kaiser. First off, he doesn’t have to be on stage all night long. He is sort of a cypher of a character. He needs good top notes which JB does have. AND, the bonus point, if there is ANYONE currently on world stages that can enact a STATUE better, well, I’d like to see that!

Seriously, that second scene of der Kaiser’s ought to be duck soup for the Big’Un.
    Cannot wait.

Can’t wait for Wozzeck. Very interested to see what Keenlyside does and how he does ir.

In fact, maybe Keenlyside will be SOOO good, he will manage to make the cast “open up in every way.”

• cg says:

Saw SK sing Wozzeck with the Philharmonia Orchestra at Alice Tully last year. A very sheepish Wozzeck (with a very sheepish voice). I liked his characterization but am concerned with him filling a house in this role. He was really getting lost in Salonen’s conducting (I hasten to blame Salonen for that).

• Todd says:

Saw/heard Keenlyside do Wozzeck in Madrid this summer in the excellent Marthaler production from Paris. The role suits him well both vocally and dramatically--I prefer him in Germanic repertory--but I agree that filling a large house could be an issue.

In a way I’m more looking forward to the Andrea Breth production in Berlin, with Waltraud Meier, Roman Trekel, and Graham Clark.

I’m seeing Keenlyside as Wozzeck at the ROH next month. I can’t quite imagine him in the role, to tell the truth, since I find him slightly over-artful (except when he’s pumping up his voice to try and convince us he’s a Verdi baritone) — and Wozzeck is a role that needs a certain in-the-rough quality -- though the character is sensitive, and certainly not an idiot. (I’ve never heard Fi-Di’s recording, but I find him pretty hard to listen to anyway.) It’ll be interesting, anyway, and I think Mattila should be pretty powerful as Marie. And, of course, there’s that marvellous music -- and a decent seat for £25!

• Porgy Amor says:

Interesting — almost 20 years ago, a young Trekel was the Second Handwerksbursche in the Berlin performances with Meier and Clark, the Barenboim/Chéreau, of which there is a great DVD. Franz Grundheber was Wozzeck at that time.

• Liz.S says:

I don’t know how bullish or wolfish Wozzeck should be, but for me personally Keenlyside’s Wozzeck last season at Avery Fisher Hall was nothing like cg described. That was the performance that I wouldn’t forget for the rest of my life. Just making sure, everybody can have his/her opinion, right?

FYI -- FT gave 5 stars at that time

• cg says:

Well, I think I was misunderstood. I loved it (I felt like my tastes were not necessarily relevant to the world, but there they are). Nothing was meant in the pejorative. The only negative was a slight concern that Mr Keenlyside might not have lacked the vocal size to fill a big house completely (though, as I said, Salonen was huge (and phenomenal leading that orchestra) and also the acoustics in that hall leave just about everything to be desired). And while Wozzeck is a doofus, Mr Keenlyside was never subtle about that, to say the least (which is fine, depending on taste). I ultimately really enjoyed his performance because after all size isn’t everything and despite his volumetric shortcomings, the motion in Avery Fisher’s 2700 seat ocean that night was lovely and moving.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

I’ve always thought of Keenlyside as having a big voice, albeit one fundamentally lyrical in character.

Holding my tongue until La Cieca posts a page with the interview with Steel!

He pissed away 33 MILLION dollars in 4 years?????
      His “sense of responsibility is to the city” of NY ??????

• Feldmarschallin says:

Denoke and Keenylside both superb in yesterdays Wozzeck. Great conducting as well. Going again on Wednesday. Will be shown on Livestream and shouldn’t be missed.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

I’m looking forward to Keenlyside and Mattila in this in London (like Monty). Denoke has never impressed me, but you frequently speak highly of her, Feldmarschallin. I haven’t seen her often, but the voice has struck me as a little on the pallid side, and of no special size, skill or temprament behind it. Might go and see her Kundry this season in London to see if I like her any better.

Do you want my Parsifal rehearsal ticket, Cocky?

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

When is it, Manou? Terribly kind of you, but if a week day I shall be chained to my desk (I know, I know, I chose this…).

• Feldmarschallin says:

Yes I like Denoke very much. Have heard her as the Marschallin, Marie, Marietta, Elisabeth, Salome and Katja. She never disappointed me and also is an incredible stage animal. I have the Fidelio recording but that is not one of my favorite roles of her. But the Salome was incredible and found her even better than Mattila whom I liked very, very much in the role. Katja incredibly moving as well.

• LittleMasterMiles says:

That is a balls-out awesome season.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

Livestreams are set to being from Wiener Staatsoper by the end of this month. The details will be announced at a press conference on 15 October.

They are having an audience survey about this, which enters you in a contest to win CDs, DVDs, tickets, etc. It is in both German and English and can be found at: