• Orlando Furioso: How curious that Rose Bampton and Helen Jepson share a birthday. They occupy the same niche... 8:15 AM
  • toitoitoi: Amen, armer and anti. “Sell their gifts”? Are you kidding me? No wonder you call... 8:11 AM
  • Ilka Saro: Title should be “Secret Woid” 7:56 AM
  • Krunoslav: Ingpen had many artistic crimes, but I personally would not place Shirley-Quirk̵ 7;s... 7:20 AM
  • armerjacquino: She’s not the keeper of a sacred flame. She’s a woman with a job. Maybe sometimes... 7:19 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well Fleming sounds gross there but better for this kind of venue that suits her personality... 7:14 AM
  • armerjacquino: Operadunce, parterre is a great place to be so long as you remember never to speak in favour... 7:08 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Anti I am not sure about Yoncheva and those roles. Every soprano is different and some who... 5:44 AM
  • RobNYNY: Joan Ingpen has ruined more evenings at the Met than any cougher in the Tubercular Circle. John... 5:02 AM
  • mia apulia: will someone please explain how this happened? it is so awful it is almost wonderful 12:37 AM

It’s over

“New York City Opera, created 70 years ago as the ‘people’s opera,’ expects to file for bankruptcy protection on Oct. 2 and either liquidate in court or be sold to another institution, its lawyer said.” [Bloomberg]

They haven’t even done that properly. There’s the new copy on top saying ‘sorry, we didn’t make funding’ but they’ve left the old copy- ‘IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!’ underneath.

I don’t know enough about NYCO to speculate on why they’ve gone the way they have, but that kickstarter was a mess from the start.

• 98rsd says:

Now you’re criticizing them for not redoing the website as they clear out their desks? Really?

Too bad sniping isn’t an actual skill, or Parterre posters would really be in demand.

They did redo it. That’s the whole point: they redid it wrong. I’m not ‘sniping’ at anyone or anybody, just saying that the way that particular fundraising campaign was managed didn’t fill me with a whole lot of confidence in the institution.

Once again, I’m not talking about NYCO as a whole because I don’t know enough about the company. I’m just talking about the kickstarter, which was a mess. I don’t know how much clearer I can make it.

• 98rsd says:

They didn’t redo the website, they added something to an existing site, and that’s what you criticized.

I know what happened. ‘redo the website’ was your shorthand, not mine.

I have no argument with you or NYCO. I just observed that the kickstarter was badly handled. This conversation has way outlasted my interest.

• Over at Superconductor, we put up an obituary for City Opera.

• whatever says:

” … or be sold to another institution.”

my spidey-sense is tingling; I bet there’s an end-game already mapped out here.

Of course, I have no idea what it is, but who says a conspiracy theory has to be fully-formed?!?

• blansac says:

Yes, a newly formed institution (headed by Susan Baker) buys NYCO, just keeps the name, and the new outfit (to be known as “New York City Opera”) appoints George Steel as GM.

Parterre implodes.

That “people’s opera” moniker sounds so much like a communist operetta company from the 1960′s! And the mass email this morning states:

“It is with much regret that we announce the cancellation of the 2013-2014 Season. New York City Opera did not achieve the goal of its emergency appeal, and the board and management will begin the necessary financial and operational steps to wind down the Company, including initiating the Chapter 11 process.

For seventy years, since Mayor Fiorello La Guardia established it as “The People’s Opera,” New York City Opera has introduced generation after generation of young singers who are stars in the making, brought the public exciting new works and compelling, fresh interpretations of classics, acted as a champion for American composers and performers, and ensured that every New Yorker can experience the live art of opera.

We thank you for your continued support over the years and for making New York City Opera truly “The People’s Opera.”

For questions regarding your subscription, please call 212.870.5600.

For questions regarding contributions, please call 212.870.5626

For questions about the City Opera Thrift Shop, please call 212.684.5344.

For any other questions, please call 212.870.5620.”

• Belfagor says:

And now Scottish Opera’s new music director Emmanuel Joael-Hornak, has resigned after 58 days in the job -- that company is a stunted shadow of what it once was -- and the Minnesota orchestra’s MD, Osmo Vanska has resigned, after a year of lock outs and failed union negotiations -- truly malign stars in the heavens today -- these things happen in threes.

Yes, I was just gnashing my teeth and groaning about the Minnesota affaire and Osmo Vanska’s resignation as there was to have been a series of Sibelius symphony concerts at Carnegie Hall which I was greatly looking forward to! A damn shame.

• Regina delle fate says:

Let’s hope Belfagor. The opening of the ENO season looks a bit worrying box-office-wise. Discounts for both Calixto’s Fidelio and Chris Alden’s Fledermouse.

We have no goverment! We have no City Opera. We have much, but so much has vanished.

This kid has been watching Joyce

• zinka says:

So SAD! Here is a partial list of some of the names of artists who appeared at City Opera. Just thinking of the demise of this company is truly horrendous:

Lawrence Winters
    Dorothy Kirsten
    Diana Soviero
    Pablo Elvira
    Jerry Hadley
    Henry Price
    Sam Ramey

Need I say more????There are plenty of others, but this tells you what a sad story this is.