• pavel: Quite a tempting selection of treats, save for the Rameau. Even people dancing in their knickers... 8:10 PM
  • Archaeopteryx: I must say that I find Eaglen’s reading of Norma’s scene on her recital disc with... 6:29 PM
  • manou: Toscanini e passato naturalmente. 6:17 PM
  • manou: Toscanini ed “passatoR 21; non hanno bisogno di lettere in più. 5:52 PM
  • kashania: Well, that feistiness carries through the third act. My throat hurts! She’s very exciting but... 5:28 PM
  • ML: Yes, and that’s the best line in the whole damn libretto! 5:20 PM
  • ML: Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how Jane Eaglen in her EMI recording handles the role, and... 5:12 PM
  • mercadante: I heard that Liu in Philadelphia and thought it quite excellent also. 5:09 PM
  • Archaeopteryx: And La Grubsi’s leg injuries seem to be forgotten. She excelled in July in Zurich as... 5:06 PM
  • Archaeopteryx: Gruberova does Casta Diva in G normally, since she started to sing the role she didn’t... 5:04 PM

Three

“Steel’s 2011 compensation, $340,000, while down 10 percent from the previous year, amounted to a third of ticket sales.” [Bloomberg]

• la vociaccia says:

“Thank you to the 1,159 backers who have now contributed enough to fund half of my paycheck.”

Not just New Yorkers read the NYT and yesterday’s major press articles about the lame Kickstarter campaign. Even with the last minute mass desperate email appeal, it only resulted in 103 responses from the entire world! They need more than a bankruptcy. The NYCO deserving of the legacy has already been cremated. It only survives in the memories of those who cared about it.

Bloomberg: “Neither Steel nor his press representative, Risa Heller, returned telephone calls seeking comment.” Why wouldn’t they at least try to comment!

• Porpora says:

Well-said, Quanto Painy Fakor.

Another tacky desperate email disseminated tonight:

“You have probably heard the news that New York City Opera plans to cancel its season and file for bankruptcy if we don’t find the funds to finance our season by Monday.
    While we’ve raised $2 million towards our target of $7 million, and our Kickstarter campaign has gained a lot of support in the past 24 hours, it isn’t enough to keep NYC Opera in business. Here’s how you can help today:
    Make a gift to NYC Opera by clicking here, or calling 212.870.5626.
    Make a pledge to our Kickstarter campaign by clicking here. All Kickstarter pledges are payable only if we reach our goal and produce our 2013-2014 season.
    Share this email with your friends, and spread the word through Facebook and Twitter. The more people we reach, the better our chances.
    Thank you if you’ve already made a pledge or a gift!”
    [Signed by Steel]

Dear beloved, Mrs. Susan Iwanski wife to the late Mr.Abelardo Iwanski from Spain,I was married to late Mr.Abelardo Iwanski who worked with Shell Development Company in London for Twenty-Six years before he died in 2010 after a brief illness that lasted for only five days. When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of $15.5 M in a firm here.
    Following my ill health… and the doctors told me that i have few months to live due to my present health condition. I am looking forward to seeing a … fellow who would be a medium through which smiles will be put in the faces of the less privilege, sexually abused women as well as being used to propagate the Kingdom and Gospel….

• Porpora says:

Steel once said in the company of the Company, that he didn’t need the “people.” All he needed was donors and critics. Now the donors in his self-serving equation have deserted him, as have the public—a fitting reversal of fortune to a man who lives in a dream world.

• Mairsydoats says:

I actually had a conversation with the marketing director about Steel’s outrageous compensation. On a per opera basis he made far more than Gelb or any other executive director (at the time NYCO was doing 4 operas and Steel was making 400k). The director told me that Steel’s compensation was in-line with Kellog’s because the “administrative burden” was the same. When I pointed out Gelb was making far less per opera and as a percentage of the Met’s revenue he was silent. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bloomberg article pointing out how much of a haul Steel was taking from a dying company was the nail in the coffin. I hope I never see his smug little face again. I predicted he would fail and he has. Ha ha. The sad thing is all those wonderful NYCO productions (the Marilyn Monroe “Semele”, the fascist “Tosca” the 50s “Cav/Pag”) will never be seen again. It’s a sad day for NYC and the cultural life of this city.