• Cocky Kurwenal: I don’t agree about Haroutounian. Thrilling though her huge and very reliable top is, I... 4:52 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: That’s absolutely right ArmerJ, and I’d add that the singer might sing better not... 4:49 AM
  • NPW-Paris: My hair is not just grey, it’s white and has been for years. But I want to see the opera of... 3:42 AM
  • stevey: Flora, I’m so happy to have gotten your attention, and thank you for responding to my post. In... 2:19 AM
  • parpignol: totally agree about Haroutounian, extraordinary voice, beautifully suited to Elisabetta, and I... 12:50 AM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: stevey – I’d say you know plenty as regards Anna Tomawa Sentow. I heard... 12:33 AM
  • Porgy Amor: A deep bow of gratitude to Nestor Almendros, one of those DPs who is among the gods. And another... 11:20 PM
  • Krunoslav: In the cast of ANKLES AWEIGH was Janet Pavek, whose Met career 8 years later looked like this:... 11:19 PM
  • stevey: Zinka! I have long wanted to ask you about someone, as I value and respect your thoughts and... 11:01 PM
  • ducadiposa: Nothing truer was ever said! Odd, as I just commented on another blog about much the same thing... 10:35 PM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)