• amg: That’s “guaranteed A pre-show.” 1:48 PM
  • amg: I’m going tonight, so I’m apparently guaranteed pre-show outside. Any other Parterrians... 1:45 PM
  • Buster: Great early Aida fragment with Martinelli – all these Vitaphone films are sensational:... 1:35 PM
  • peter: They’re only following French law which prohibits wearing the Naqib in public. 1:35 PM
  • pasavant: http://www.dailyma il.co.uk/news/arti cle-2799981/woman- thrown-paris-opera -cast-refused-p... 1:23 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: When has Gelb showed passion regarding anything? 1:20 PM
  • OpinionatedNeophyte: Dear Paris Opera, fuck off would you? http://rt.com/news /197348-france-... 1:18 PM
  • olliedawg: I don’t want to conflate the artistic merit(s) (or lack thereof) of this work with the... 1:16 PM
  • Buster: Enjoy your trip, I’d be interested how it was. 1:14 PM
  • Dabrowski: I think I’m the one who cued OAS; I appear to have a special knack for getting under his... 1:11 PM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)