• All-knowing Earth Goddess: This weekend was supposed to be the Millo “Tosca” ; performance in... 3:44 PM
  • Rudolf: @ Krunoslav “Croatia a/k/a Dalmatia” is misleading, Krunoslav. I think you well know that... 3:42 PM
  • pavel: I was just looking at the Parterre New York opera calendar and was surprised to see no performances of... 3:33 PM
  • MontyNostry: armer definitely wasn’t being offensive, akk, it was throwaway British humour. (We f***ing... 3:31 PM
  • armerjacquino: ‘I’ll let you off because it’s Christmas’ Seriously? That’s... 2:16 PM
  • antikitschychick: Maybe “you’l l let me off”?? Seriously? What does that even mean?? Maybe... 2:14 PM
  • Poison Ivy: “Lumi took the role of Amelia so seriously that not only did she want to look like a mother... 1:56 PM
  • kashania: :) 1:33 PM
  • armerjacquino: Janowitz has a CALM INTENSITY, dammit. 1:32 PM
  • Krunoslav: But armer, the rhetorical strategies people here advance for making the faults of their Supreme... 1:27 PM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)