• Camille: Hey, I TRIED to love the drowned queen! At least I gave it the once over It did certainly quell my... 9:51 PM
  • Camille: Yes, i am and am SOOO relieved that none of it is so bad as what it was last time around. Even... 9:39 PM
  • Lohenfal: One minor correction to Adam’s otherwise excellent report on doings in Berlin. Antonenko sang... 9:18 PM
  • phoenix: Camille is not listening to La Crostacea this evening on Sirius? 9:05 PM
  • phoenix: Camille, aren’t 9:03 PM
  • Camille: You know, that title rings a very distant bell for me as well—maybe it was in L.A.–? I just... 8:28 PM
  • Camille: She could be a fab Färberin, instead. First cousin to Elektra. 8:23 PM
  • marshiemarkII: Yes Magee debut, and she was pretty awful, a distant sound that sounded from under water (no... 7:47 PM
  • mjmacmtenor: I believe that NYCO presented the Weill in English (The Silver Lake?) back in the late 70s... 7:29 PM
  • Camille: Yes she did, and that was her Met debut, if I am not seriously misremembering. 7:25 PM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)