• Belfagor: Dear Camille, helas, I just realized I will be in Paris in April, but ‘Le Cid’ has... 8:03 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Interesting, but Clara Schumann was no Judith! 7:55 AM
  • manou: Don’t “survival urges” fit in with the Will to Live? 7:47 AM
  • Cicciabella: The Ring is not better than sex, but, according to Schopenhauer, it is better for you than sex,... 6:11 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: QPF: me, too. I know the “Geistervari ationen” – all 10... 5:55 AM
  • gal: Marshie you know, you can speak of me posts as “well-inform ed” in the most sarcastical way... 5:52 AM
  • Cicciabella: A question for the eminent m.croche: “Famous opera diva” Shen Tiemei is singing in... 4:16 AM
  • Cicciabella: Your take on the Chenier is very interesting, phoenix. I thought London did itself proud in... 3:51 AM
  • Krunoslav: Et MOI! httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=BE2M AxLZUrQ 3:25 AM
  • Krunoslav: I cannot speak for Nerva, who was exploded ( yes, in a revolutionary outrage). Krunoslav, however,... 3:24 AM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)