• aulus agerius: PI, you leveled the same criticism at James Valenti, i.e. pulling back at what you consider to... 9:07 AM
  • Ilka Saro: It’s hard to resist drawing comparisons between Florez and Brownlee. I agree that Brownlee... 9:07 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Don’t know what’s wrong with Operbase. Also born on this day in 1882 conductor... 9:01 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Born on this day in 1819 composer Franz von Suppé httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=Y... 8:55 AM
  • A. Poggia Turra: Earlier Olga at Pesaro: La scala de Seta: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=9crW RDkpqH4... 8:51 AM
  • doktorlehar: My pleasure, everyone. Copenhagen was charming. My visit wasn’t timed well, so I missed... 8:48 AM
  • RobNYNY: This video shows her strengths and weaknesses. Beautiful voice, clear diction, accurate pitch, but... 8:43 AM
  • la vociaccia: Or it’s just, you know, two different people with different opinions. Reports from the... 8:21 AM
  • norma54: Speaking as a SIRIUS listener …. Peretyatko often had no line in her voice, with bright vowels... 8:20 AM
  • OpinionatedNeophyte: The man is damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. Before it was that the voice... 8:07 AM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)