• Camille: Oh yes, my parents got to hear Swarthout in their college days and invariably referred to her as... 5:36 PM
  • Camille: Well, that reminds me of another thing: Don José stood and listened to and witnessed Carmen’s... 5:18 PM
  • marshiemarkII: And Quinn was absolutely sublime as Marcello at the beginning of the season, saw him twice and... 5:05 PM
  • armerjacquino: have all the fun and don’t die at the end! Also, since the cards tell Carmen the truth, we can... 5:05 PM
  • marshiemarkII: Well Ryan Speedo Green of course, who was magnificent in everything he did during his... 5:03 PM
  • laddie: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=j16A WuSztsc 5:03 PM
  • La Cieca: Happy birthday Elizabeth Taylor! httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=lqyY PgRBdS4&start =55 4:59 PM
  • armerjacquino: Speaking of awards and prizes… Who have we heard? http://www.bbc.co. uk/mediacentre/... 4:57 PM
  • kennedet: I enjoyed the You Tube excerpts. The voice still has a lyric quality which I enjoy. Too much bulk,... 4:55 PM
  • marshiemarkII: CammiB, two birds of a feather, my first opera ever was Carmen with Resnik and Coca Cola. I... 4:50 PM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)