• Lurker_del_Cairo: Not enough! They need to BURN THOSE BAGS TO THE GROUND! :wink: 6:42 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: :) You flatter me Dabrowski, or jest; whatever, it is funny. To go to your questions,... 6:42 PM
  • parpignol: they first inspected the bags, and then made (only the men) check the (already inspected) bags... 6:20 PM
  • Lurker_del_Cairo: You had to check your bags? Or did they just inspect them like they do with women’s... 5:56 PM
  • Krunoslav: Question addressed to zinka, bien sur. 5:55 PM
  • Krunoslav: Do you mean the dropping out before the interpolation or the flat, awkward cutoff at the end of... 5:54 PM
  • Krunoslav: Q; How many of those male dancers in the 1958 WONDERFUL TOWN clip were at THE Judy Concert? A:All... 5:47 PM
  • Blanche Tourterelle: Not an expert, but Kirsten Fladstad sang the premier of Vier Letzte Lieder in London in... 5:16 PM
  • Dabrowski: First of all, I am honored to be addressed as “mon cher,” LV; it feels like I’ve... 4:58 PM
  • Dabrowski: And by filth I mean Bocelli, of course, not Corelli! 4:54 PM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)