• kashania: I mean Pat is very sympathetic and all but that Goldie is crazy! (I imagine that Simone... 10:43 PM
  • Grane: LOL. Goldie’s “Embroidery Aria” is second to none. 9:40 PM
  • kashania: On the night I saw it, we were so disappointed to find out that it was Goldie Hawn’s night... 9:00 PM
  • Krunoslav: Scotto sang Elvira in 1957 at the Stoll Theater seasons in London. 8:51 PM
  • Grane: The one that looked like the Joke Wall from Laugh-In? 8:42 PM
  • kashania: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=wQvB TO7ExMc 8:12 PM
  • kashania: Thanks for that story, willym. When I first heard this I wondered whether she and Vickers had ever... 8:10 PM
  • operaassport: The thought of Jessye Norman and 69 sent shivers down my spine. 7:37 PM
  • operaassport: Doesn’t matter. 7:36 PM
  • willym: Many thanks Kashania – I was in tears by the end. She, Vickers and Louis Quilico did an Otello... 7:23 PM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)