• Cicciabella: Here’s another thinking reviewer/bowling pin knocked over by Ms Netrebko: http://tinyurl... 3:25 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: I am wondering if perhaps Mrs. Claggart and I were at that same Salome since I also heard... 2:55 AM
  • m. croche: Happy birthday, Frantisek Tuma! httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=7YgN rEyKtNo httpv://www.you... 2:55 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Borodina was absolutely atrocious in the Rückert Lieder on Monday. She looked like she was... 2:51 AM
  • Bill: Feldmarschallin – Vienna used to have closed performances as well several in a season. Or once... 12:12 AM
  • mia apulia: Hell, the voice was certainly grand, the presence was grand, and the musicianship was grand. Why... 11:58 PM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: Wonderful! But Of course, Flo! I saw Leonie Rysanek do exactly the same thing to Mara... 11:46 PM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: JohninSeattle: Thank you for that commentary; I interviewed S. J. at the time (early... 11:34 PM
  • Constantine A. Papas: Netrebko has arrived. Finally! Why now? Because TT and JJ are on the same page; both... 11:04 PM
  • overstimmelated: Not Billinghurst?? (Billing rhymes with “fulfilling& #8221;) … Did she leave her... 9:13 PM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)