• Camille: You know, come to think of it, she sang the duet with Domingo, in the 2009 Gala, and there were many singers there being futured... 9:22 PM
  • steveac10: I’ve only seen Gerzmava live once – in last year’s Hoffmann. My experience was much like the description of... 9:13 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: That score is really deficient in many ways. The preface is woefully inadequate and that editor is woefully refutable! 9:12 PM
  • Camille: Thank you for sharing your sweetest memories and I am so happy you have known such great fulfillment and joy. Don’t worry,... 9:11 PM
  • John L: I noticed that too. Like the Met is one to two years behind the LOC. Although certainly not as busy as the Met, the quality of... 8:37 PM
  • Camille: Bill, Jungfer, La Cieca und Alles! I refer you to the SCHOTT publication: TANNHÄUSER und der Sängerkrieg auf Wartburg Große... 8:27 PM
  • oscar: I was at the premier of this production back in 1977 as well. I’d make a pilgrimage to NY if I knew I could regain my lost... 8:06 PM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Also born on this day in 1835 composer Camille Saint-Saëns httpvh://www.youtu 7c_z806c 7:32 PM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)