• rysanekfreak: My Option A/B pairing…. Don Carlo/Don Carlos 6:52 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: In der heutigen Vorstellung von La forza del destino (31. Juli 2014) wird Zoran Todorovich... 5:34 AM
  • ML: ” … this particular fight or whatever you want to call it” is the biggest debacle at... 3:19 AM
  • ML: The raise bothers me less than the 10-year contract. Nobody gets that. No normal board gives that. 3:10 AM
  • m. croche: So I guess they had nothing to do with the decision to cancel the Klinghoffer broadcast? 2:54 AM
  • La Cieca: Got to get the glasses checked. Three times I read that comment, and every time, it came out I’ve... 2:25 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: She will be doing Trovatore here after the Manon Lescaut. 2:15 AM
  • ianw2: This is really quite different from what happened in Minnesota. Minnesota was proposing a severe base... 2:13 AM
  • La Cieca: That’s an interesting question. My opinion is that Gelb is in the right on this particular... 1:34 AM
  • bluecabochon: Steve, there is so much propaganda and sheer ugliness being exhibited by the unions and... 1:34 AM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)