• Krunoslav: LOC, 1971. These days there would be a better Assur. Bottazzo was not a bad Rossini singer for his... 9:53 AM
  • Chanterelle: Thanks for your round-up. Zabout Breitman’s production of DIE ENTFÜRHUNG has been getting... 9:48 AM
  • Gualtier M: Actually Guleghina has a lot of voice but the technique (never perfect) has deteriorated further.... 9:43 AM
  • Krunoslav: Not a patch on Marie Collier! 9:29 AM
  • Clivia: Has Nadja had some work done on her lips? 9:28 AM
  • Gualtier M: Nadja Michael alert. Also Tara Erraught in an ugly costume alert. Perfect Parterre storm… 8:39 AM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Or the Duchess of Krakenthorp :D No, I like her. She seems like a real bitch lol 8:33 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Wow, that LOC Semiramide was from the fall of 1971, not 1977, and this high school junior... 7:45 AM
  • La Cieca: Are there parterriena up for a chat during these performances? If so, I’ll put them on the... 7:43 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Hmm, this is what the NY Classical Review said: http://newyorkclas sicalreview.com... 7:41 AM

there s a dance in the old dame yet

Karita Mattila (pictured) sings a little Verdi.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

No problem, as long as she stays away from Puccini for good.

• moi says:

Still, somehow she could have been a good Minnie….
    since some Others got to do it lately too…

Laggiu nel Soledad would have been a trial. Even now, if we’re talking exposed high Cs, I’d rather hear Voigt than Mattila.

Mattila has always had a spectacular B and Bb but she’s never really had a C.

• danpatter says:

That’s easily adjusted. Tebaldi didn’t sing a high C in her FANCIULLA performances, I think. I would welcome her Minnie, did she deign to sing it.

I’d rather have Mattila skip the high C (or sing a lower option) and have her as Minnie instead of Voigt’s. Neither is a natural in Italian rep but Mattila is by far the more interesting artist. I’d love to hear her “Dre assi e un baio”.

• Kernita Makilla says:

Salome’s dream of 7 height challenged fellows : A Finnish dream to end all.

53 is not the new 35.

I’m sorry, but she looks and sounds seriously menopausal. And that makes me sad for Mattila has long been a favourite performer of mine, but it’s just not the same. And that’s just time passing, for which there is no remedy.

• antikitschychick says:

Awesome rendition of Pace, Pace, camp and all! And The caricature couldn’t be more spot on, as she is such a stage animal (no pun intended) :-P

Some other great renditions I’ve come across on yt…

(the last note is a tad flat but the rest is pretty sublime)

(Her Verdian line is PER.FE.CTION.)

(I LOVE her. She sings with such a beautiful rich sound and a clean line. I wish I could’ve seen her live in her prime. *Sniffle.)

I really like this performance because its one of the few I’ve seen of her that has genuine emotion. She’s like hyper focused and concentrated and so I was able to get into it. The vocal execution is pretty flawless I admit.

(not a perfect performance as it could’ve used more pianissimo singing and better control of her body movement/language but she sings with a lot of pathos and the general sound is just beautiful:-D. Also, she should wear her hair like that more often. It looks very nice and age appropriate.)