• DeepSouthSenior: I find myself agreeing with about one-third of what redbear says. This is really scary. Who... 11:00 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: Interesting conclusion. Attack of the light bulbs and revenge of the killer drapery. 10:53 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Intermission - httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=dVSd a6DN0c8 10:37 PM
  • Ruxxy: m. croche I wasn’t aware that we were talking about a race – I thought we were talking... 10:31 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: In other words, she had very little experience when she was elevated to powerful... 10:30 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: No terrorists in this! httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=pl3g OrSIMKM 10:25 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=OlfY c4Ee3T8 10:05 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: It’s good enough for me. Do I need to cover my face to make it better? 10:01 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: I’m sure that country is devastated to hear that. 9:57 PM
  • m. croche: Racist ? Don’t make me laugh. Ok… The veil is not only a very primitive expression, Well... 9:42 PM

Equal temperament

On the occasion of “the greatest party for Classical Music on the planet,” the Last Night of the Proms, mezzo Joyce DiDonato quietly (but audibly) takes a stand for equality. (Photo: Josef Fischnaller)

• operaassport says:

It seems to me some people are hyperventilating over this. I’m always suspicious of anything that gets compared to Hitler or the Nazis (see Syria). I’m an out and proud gay man but this just seems blown all out of proportion. I don’t see how anyone could hold the MET responsible. And asking someone what side they are on -- in the way it was asked -- reminds me too much of Joe McCarthy or that Bush who said you’re either for us or against us.

I think things are grater and less black and white and a more nuanced approach to the subject might be better.

• LittleMasterMiles says:

Well, Netrebko stated her support of gay people in general without making any reference to the policies of Putin, whom she supported in his last campaign. Her statement could now literally get her arrested in Russia (an act that many here would have strong feelings about), but of course it won’t because it would be more useful to the regime to make her a one-woman Potemkin village. It’s gay Russian youth who are subject to torture, as has been happening recently (I assume many here have strong feeling about that too).

And (warning: Nazi allusion ahead) should artists supporting the Third Reich have been given a free pass at the Met just before or during WWII? Artists who involve themselves directly in politics deserve, as public figures, to be held accountable for their political statements and acts. Claiming to be solely interested in art is simply sticking your head in the sand.

I’ll admit that my views on the human rights of gay people are not terribly nuanced.

• operaassport says:

One of the problems is who is it who gets to decide what “rights” or “laws” are worthy of support? Is it just gay rights? What about abortion rights? What if there was an organized protest/boycott against any artist or institution who supported abortion rights? There are just as many people who consider life a basic human right as consider gay rights a basic human right. Would that be okay with you or would you deride those people?

Perhaps there should be a questionnaire of any artist hired by the MET asking their opinion on every issue of the day. I suppose some could form a committee who would decide what the correct answer to each question is. Because that is the slippery slope one goes down.

Why stop with Nazis? How about any artist who supports the Chinese regime which is responsible for the deaths of millions. No Lang Lang I suppose.

Lets not forget that until a year or so ago our own president was in favor of a system that provided second class status for gay people in regards to equal marriage rights.

So it isn’t black and white but holding an artistic institution responsible for the beliefs of its contract employees is something that makes no sense.

Waiting in the wings…

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

BTW Joyce DiDonato is on BBC Radio 3 right now and until midday EST, picking music that has influenced her career.

• CwbyLA says:

She sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow magnificently.