• johns33: Gordon was quoted in the NYT today as saying “If we want to win this ….we may have to... 6:37 PM
  • warmke: Gordon has always been confrontational , even in supposedly “congenial&# 8221; negotiations.... 6:31 PM
  • olliedawg: I hasten to add that it’s my hope that a lockout, if it happens, doesn’t last for 24... 6:26 PM
  • Chrysothemis: Just to cross threads in a somewhat elegant fashion: if any young singer will do for Eva,... 6:25 PM
  • redbear: The drug companies get a 50 billion bonus by ordering “their” ; government to not shop... 6:24 PM
  • warmke: And where did it get the musicians? Loss of a full season, damage to the reputation, loss of a... 6:23 PM
  • olliedawg: In fact, NYS put new COBRA rules into effect during the height of the recession that allowed... 6:21 PM
  • La Cieca: As I understand it, the letters sent out by the Met to union members reminded them of the COBRA... 6:15 PM
  • Chrysothemis: I think the current situation has little to do with disciplining workers. Rather, it has... 6:09 PM
  • Don_Dano: I have never been in a union, but if they are locked out this Friday, are they allowed to continue... 5:44 PM

Hung up

What other company indeed but the Bayerische Staatsoper would commission David LaChapelle to photograph Diana Damrau for their portrait gallery? (And, not to put too fine a point on it, what’s the deal with the dead naked guy?) [Flaunt]

• tannengrin says:

Maybe she is joining the cast of ‘True Blood’ next season as the Queen of all Fairies who vamps it up and breathes new life into that whole story.

• phoenix says:

When I 1st saw the Flaunt pic at the head of this thread with the Swan and Ortrud posioning Gottfried (reading it was commissioned by Bayerische Staatsoper) I assumed it was an advertisement for Mme. Damrau’s upcoming rollendebut as Ortrud -- question is, will she receive the much-coveted Golden Turd Award for her performance?
      - In the video clip of La Damrau’s ‘Je suis Titania’ above she deserves another award, too -- but I don’t know which one.

• phoenix says:

Ah! Tannengrin, that isn’t Damrau in the above clip -- someone discovered it on the cutting room floor after they edited the Wizard of Oz -- it’s Billie Burke’s big number as Glenda the Good Witch.

• tannengrin says:

when I saw the picture first I thought it was Meryl doing Marie Antoinette in the Ghost of Versailles!

• Gualtier M says:

I was able to look up from the whitefaced dude with the semi and noticed that Damrau in ths pic is a dead ringer for Jennifer Aniston with that shaggy blonde highlighted do.

How about an operatic version of “Friends”. Shall we cast it? Vittorio Grigolo could be Joey.

Gheorghiu as Monica, Kermes as Phoebe.

I was trying to work out who Monica was in the Pirates of Penzance. If it’s Friends, and since everyone is at least 20 years too old, how about Sherrill Milnes in the Tom Selleck role?

• grimoaldo says:

“I was trying to work out who Monica was in the Pirates of Penzance”

hahaha I saw “Kermes as Phoebe” and then thought “but there is no character called “Monica” in “The Yeomen of the Guard” and then had a vague recollection of some tv show I never watched.

• Gualtier M says:

Actually, Anja Harteros would also be a good Monica. Alagna is a little too old but definitely also a Joey. He can use his Nemorino characterization. Newly blonde Dessay is another possiblity for Phoebe -- a vocally undemanding role. Just a lot of wispy throwaway crooning a la Melisande. Joseph Kaiser has a bit of the cute Jewish semi-nerd thing going for Ross Geller. Actually Charles Castronovo could work. Chandler Bing is the tough role.

• perfidia says:

That is Damrau in the “Je suis Titania”? My god, it is so labored.

• grimoaldo says:

Definitive performance of “Je suis Titania”, forever and for all time ):

• perfidia says:

I wish that Callas performance in Italian from early in her career had survived intact. All we have is a few fragments in terrible sound, but you can still get a sense of how stupendous she is in it. And now, this is someone I never thought did this aria:

• grimoaldo says:

I am surprised how good that is,I am not very familiar with Steber and did not know she sang that sort of thing at all.

Her versatility constantly amazes. This “Je suis Tatiana” is delightful.

• damekenneth says:

Grim,
          Steber was an astonishing singer with both a beautiful natural tone and tremendous technique. She sang a huge variety of repertoire. And did it all well. She is somewhat undervalued in the collective memory, perhaps owing to her later alcoholism (which did affect her singing). But she really was one for the ages, in my opinion.

• Hippolyte says:

I was there for the Anderson rendition, one of the few Opening Nights I have attended at the MET. I had not heard it since but it predictably made my skin crawl as there no other singer for whom I have such a visceral dislike. The high notes are always painful and those faked trills are the worst here. The other “surprise guests” that evening were more appealing.

• grimoaldo says:

There ya go, I believe I was in the house for all the roles she did in London, several of them more than once -- Puritani, Due Foscari, Giovanna d’Arco three times each -- adored everything about her and always will, but many others had, as you say “a visceral dislike” which “made their skin crawl”.

I rather like this.