• swordsnsolvers: I stand corrected! I should have been more precise: bad American yokel tour guide accent. 10:31 PM
  • phoenix: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=Cts- 6SxZJmk 9:58 PM
  • mjmacmtenor: Works well for period costumes. https://s-media-ca che-ak0.pinimg.com /236x/9e/81/e7/9e8 1e76990f2f950c1526 2e2f99debdd.jpg 9:51 PM
  • gustave of montreal: I’m sorry to read that you have a different opinion about «musicals». It is a sin here to disagree. Now you are... 9:32 PM
  • danpatter: If memory serves, her mother insisted she was born one day previous to that listed on her birth certificate. So not a huge... 6:02 PM
  • armerjacquino: And Alex Kelly, who doesn’t have the technique of an opera singer but is the only Cunegonde I’ve ever heard... 5:58 PM
  • armerjacquino: It doesn’t bother me in the slightest what you think, you’re a stranger. That’s quite a solipsistic... 4:53 PM
  • aulus agerius: Today I’m watching the YT of Perfect American and my response is similar – just a lot of talking over subdued... 4:51 PM

Season of no witch

Deborah Voigt, “unfortunately ill,” will not sing her first Ortrud this Sunday at the Festival de Lanaudière. According to the festival’s press office, a replacement will be named later today.

• 1
    Hippolyte says:

It’s Michaela Martens, who was Dalayman’s cover for Kundry and went on for her once last season.

• 1.1
      Chanterelle says:

How interesting — Festival listing currently has names all the singers but Ortrud. You’d think that if they knew they’d announce.

• 1.2

You are wrong. My sources tell me Jane Henschel just flew in from Germany to take over the part. The whole thing with Ms. Martens was a misunderstanding with her management.

• 2
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

Victoria Livengood to the rescue!!!!

• 3
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

is “unfortunately ill” like “very sincerely” ? Fortunately not singing is more like it.

• 4
    Signor Bruschino says:

Looking at her twitter page, someone said they they need her Ortrud in NYC, and her response was “alas…not to be. Even IF a local theater should do it. :-(”

I guess that local theatre she speaks of in NYC isn’t on her list of favorite places right now?

(the link to her full twitter feed if anyone wants to take a look: https://twitter.com/debvoigt)

• 5
    Feldmarschallin says:

What a shame that the world will miss out on another great Wagnerian assumption by Voigt. Who needs Varnay, Ludwig or Klose when we could have had Voigt.

• 6
    Regina delle fate says:

To be fair, FM, none of those great ladies are currently available for the role, either. And there recorded performances haven’t prevented others from trying….I’ve heard Isolde Elchlepp and Janina Baechle as Ortrud, not to mention Vicar favourite, Linda Finnie, and they weren’t in the Klose/Varnay/Ludwig class either.

• 7
    Nerva Nelli says:

Call in Christine Goerke!

• 8
    Don_Dano says:

A rough week for sopranos….

Last night in Seattle, the Brunnhilde cover went on in Siegfried.

• 8.1
      Chanterelle says:

And who was that?

• 8.1.1
        Don_Dano says:

I didn’t recognize the name when they made the announcement from the stage just before the start of Act III, but a quick internet search indicates it would have been Lori Phillips.

• 9
    pavel says:

I wonder if Voigt will be ready for her Isolde here in DC next month…

• 9.1
      Salome Where She Danced says:

I bought a ticket for T & I precisely with the hope/expectation she will bail.

• 10
    Hippolyte says:

As I said earlier (note story is dated yesterday):

• 10.1
      Chanterelle says:

You called it, but as of this afternoon the Lanaudiere Festival hasn’t updated the listing with the new Ortrud. To read the cast list you’d think that Ortrud had been cut entirely.

• 11
    papopera says:

Quelle perte.

• 12
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

Interesting Netrebko video interview with some juicy tidbits. Notice also the interesting position in which she recorded the Don Carlo aria -- in the middle of the orchestra.
    or http://tinyurl.com/ldogw7n

• 13
    operaassport says:

Is Voigt pregnant? Yes, Virginia, that was a joke :)

• 14
    Signor Bruschino says:

I think Deb has been taking twitter lessons from Danielle de Niese (note the use of emoticons and ‘sooooo’s): @nezetseguin I am soooooo sorry!! Was thrilled to be singing for u. Hopefully another time soooon! :-)

• 15
    mskapay says:

She recently said on Twitter that her next plan is to do the title role in Elektra. I like Deb very, very much, and I am glad she is still ambitious about working so much, but I sort of got the feeling with her moving out of Florida and doing a bit more teaching work that perhaps she was hanging it up soon?

I never got the feeling she liked the role of Ortud very much, she talked about it being very low on Twitter. But her last minute cancellation pattern of late isn’t so hot; while I get she needed bilateral hip and knee replacements during the Ring, and I am stunned she stuck around and did it anyhow and total kudos to her, I get the feeling she is pretty much over performing for real. But she also says she wants to take on the title role in Elektra, which stuns me, as she could have totally done it 15, even 10 years ago, but now, I don’t think that’s something she can do vocally. I liked her in Troyens very much this year, and I am entirely fond of her, but I wish she’d withdraw earlier with grace when she doesn’t like the role and let them recast it sooner.