• -Ed.: Why doesn’t the Met hold their HD-broadcast intermissions on stage, in house? It seems a shame to deny the house from such... 11:36 PM
  • -Ed.: Ah! My latest earbug is from the Gardiner Figaro.. and now it can be yours too! Perfection. httpv:// com/watch?v=Ua7... 10:03 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Ivy, Daniel Barenboim doesn’t quite see it that way: Whoever wants to see a repulsive attack on Jews in Wagner’s... 9:42 PM
  • Poison Ivy: A lot of Beckmessers music sounds like a parody of cantorial traditions, and certainly not something Wagner normally wrote for... 8:56 PM
  • grimoaldo: I’m a proud Episcopalian! Doesn’t stop me kvetching about anti-Semitism, not in Wagner generally, but in... 8:38 PM
  • armerjacquino: Well of COURSE a Venetian would say that… 8:33 PM
  • lorenzo.venezia: dear quoth, then there are us Jews who kvetch about other people reading anti-semitism everywhere in Wagner ;-) although... 8:32 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Sorry, quoth, I’m not buying. Possibly some day somebody will unearth a letter where Wagner says “I really... 8:24 PM

Les amours de Carmen ne durent pas six mois

• Nerva Nelli says:

Angela born 1965
    Milos born 1983

I’m just sayin’…

• La Cieca says:

“And let me tell you something, Ernie: Twenty goes into eighty a heckuva lot more than eighty goes into twenty!”

“…And the beat goes on….”

• don alfonso says:

Looks like La Draculetta is going for the jugular

Il est vraiment adorable. So what’s their new project?
    She has a desperate need to perform, but also to reinvent herself and soon.

Gheorghiu has always favored work partnerships, probably because she feels this is the way she can best function. In the last few years she has sung with and promoted a number of young tenors, in most cases without even a hint of a romantic involvement. But these attempts didn’t lead very far, so she has some new ideas.

The motivations of her recent relationship with Cezar Ouatu have been more complicated. Both Gheorghiu and Ouatu have talked about it as primarily a work partnership and he has never publicly admitted more than that (helping fuel the ongoing speculation about his sexual orientation). But since both have very strong personalities -Ouatu is a very ambitious and driven person-, things fell apart pretty quickly between them.

It seems obvious to me that Gheorghiu is trying to “branch out”, à la Roberto: her stints with Bocelli, the planned (and cancelled) Moscow concert with Ouatu, this new Karadaglic project, all point in this crossover direction.

But hey, people needn’t let all these considerations deter them from stereotypical comments about scatterbrain middle-aged women shacking up with young gigolos.

• RobNYNY1957 says:

You have amazing mind-reading superpowers. I myself use toilet paper on the place whence you pulled this stuff.

Gee, how did you guess I can read minds?

Though in this case I preferred reading Angela’s interviews, and she has been giving a lot of them recently. That’s whence I pulled this stuff.

At least I do not write crap about a supposed affair with Karadaglic that everybody seems to be speculating about with no basis whatsoever.

• pasavant says:

Isn’t he being prosecuted in the Hague for war crimes?

• LittleMasterMiles says:

It’s SOOO hilarious when an adult woman called Draculetta (coz’ she’s Romanian—get it?) might even raise a shadow of a suspicion that she’s involved with a somewhat younger adult man, AND we can make war-crimes jokes because these Yugoslavian names, Karadži?, Karadagli?, they’re so similar!!! What? One is Serbian and the other Montenegran? Oh, heavens, they all look the same to me, honey.

Grow up, people.

Brava Angela:

She sounds terrific!

• SilvestriWoman says:

When did it become acceptable for singers to use music during a recital? I saw may legends in recital back in the day -- Sills, Price, Tebaldi, te Kanawa, Ameling -- and not a one ever used a music stand. Even more recently I’ve seen Bonney, von Stade, Terfel, Sir Thomas Allen and, most unforgettably, Lorraine Hunt Lieberson -- all without a stand. Why is this acceptable? It seems to have begun with Pavarotti, but it’s only grown more common (in more than one sense of the word.)

• RosinaLeckermaul says:

Joan Sutherland always had the music on a stand in front of her even though she sang the same recital program for eons. In years past, lieder sings used to have a little “cheat sheet” of the lyrics that would fit into their cupped hands.

Is it really such a problem? Surely what happens is the interpretation of the song, not a trick of memory. Of course we want opera singers to be off book but I don’t see why recitalists should have to be.

• ianw2 says:

There’s been a lot of talk recently about the issue of memorisation, primarily in the context of pianists. With instrumentalists, it at least eliminates the bother of page turns, but apart from practical concerns, it is little more than a parlour trick.

• laddie says:

Unless for some unforeseen or special circumstances, I think if you are to be considered an artist, in any sense of the word, the understanding is that you will have learned and memorized your music.

• Buster says:

Using music does take away a lot of the magic, though. Like talking to a friend who would look onto a piece of paper every now and then before saying something back to you. It is not great for your sound either, as you sing to the stand, and not the audience.

Milos was at the first night of Don Carlo at Covent Garden a couple of months ago, presumably as the guest of Universal Classics. Maybe he just likes opera. Or maybe Ange is taking inspiration from this 1981 movie …

• la vociaccia says:

18 years is not an age difference to make a fuss about. I didn’t hear anyone tut-tut at Teddy Rhodes and Isabel Leonard. And I don’t think anyone even knows how old Mr. Harteros is. Why is it always the cougars that get the pearl-clutching?

And Renee and Ward stopped being news about 30 years ago. Yawn

• steveac10 says:

It’s just the way our culture is wired. My mother’s second husband was 15 years younger than her. I don’t think the local tongues stopped wagging until the Silver Wedding Anniversary party. My dad’s second wife was almost as young and I don’t think I ever heard a word about age difference from anyone.