• Constantine A. Papas: Luc Bondy, the director of the recent new production of Tosca at the Met, died, at age 67. 3:36 PM
  • Porgy Amor: Opera is like sex – …when it’s bad, it’s awkward, laborious, and full of mistakes; it fails to be what... 3:35 PM
  • Podlesmania: … or you have something like this (that I have previously seen in Parterre, but lovely nevertheless!) httpv:// 3:08 PM
  • lorenzo.venezia: yes, of course. But I was only 16… 3:00 PM
  • antikitschychick: Thanks Ed! I did actually buy both our tickets since they weren’t expensive :-). I totally agree with you that... 2:16 PM
  • manou: Here is Jessica Pratt in the complete Puritani from Firenze: https://www.youtub epZAVZs 1:46 PM
  • -Ed.: So great, antikitschychick! Loved reading about your time at Tosca, which was the favorite opera of the grand lady who introduced me... 1:26 PM
  • dai: armer, I saw Coster in Wales several times in my earliest opera-going days back in the 1967-72 period, and recall her as a pretty... 1:24 PM

Little red lorgnette

La Cieca (pictured) gives you leave to discuss off-topic and general interest subjects.

• zinka says:

My beloved Mario in the Zandonai Romeo aria..First singer I ever saw live…Born July 27, 1915..He tried to shade that incredible “bronze’ voice…..some people said he”yelled.” BULL!!!! He covered low….the voice was so solid..a “bronze column of sound’ from bottom to top..Saw him 40 times..will never forget him!!!!!!

• zinka says:

Who are the singers of the past whose EVERY BREATH you MUST own???? Here is my list (that is why I am poor) and I invite you to add yours:

Caruso, Muzio, Olivero, Gencer, Soviero, Zeani, Stignani,
    Milanov, Galvany, Lisitsian, Tetrazzini, Callas.

I have so many others whom I love, but the above is my special “cannot do without” list. Why don’t you add yours? as ever Charlie

• soubrettino says:

Zinka: Muzio 1000+

As for me, I have most of Moffo’s oeuvre *dips head in shame* I even have this:

Her Fiora (L’amore dei tre re) broke my heart.

• zinka says:

1957….Curtain opened on act two Walkure…Moedl starts the Battle Cry…We were HYSTERICAL doubled up over the standee rail because it was a RIOT!!!!! Little did I know that NOW if you said,”Charlie..Nilsson or can have only one” I would have a problem deciding..BECAUSE Moedl after the scoopiest scoops i ever heard, sang and acted with such warmth,richness,magnetism,that by the end of the opera i was in TEARS!!!!!!! I still cannot forget the first impression and you willl hear in this clip what I meant..but SO WHAT!!!!!!!!! She remains for me the greatest stage personality I ever saw and the flaws meant nothing……

• zinka says:

SEE WHAT I MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• zinka says:

More Mario on his birthday,July 27…In an era today of “safe’ singing….he would not be allowed on the Met stage…Bless this guy….I loved him so much…FEARLESS!