• SilvestriWoman: Considering the nudity in the show, that makes sense. Still, if the singers were not forewarned, that would be a serious... 12:16 PM
  • phoenix: Looks like RAI cancelled the supposedly to be Haveman Fanciulla broadcast today – it has been taken off their website... 12:13 PM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: Certainly Yoncheva seems to have developed very quickly in recent years. After first hearing her in Handel I’d... 11:58 AM
  • The Poet Lenski: She and Angela Meade are doing a later series of performances. 11:57 AM
  • Bill: Spiderman – The Vienna Opera already has a new production of Trovatore planned for Netrebko this forthcoming season –... 11:47 AM
  • Laura Amorosa: London wins (Yoncheva), New York loses (Rads) 11:45 AM
  • Sempre liberal: LOVE the Shuffle Along image/ad. Nicely done, Cieca! 11:37 AM
  • la vociaccia: I love Yoncheva and don’t know what to make of this. I hope it’s filmed though. 11:26 AM

Peter Gelb is a fucking bargain

So guess who makes more money than Peter Gelb and works less, sometimes a lot less? Answer: a lot of people.

“Creative consultant Renee Fleming [“La Polverosa”] received $497,000 for sprinkling inspirational diva dust amongst the company in various forums.”

• 1
    Camille says:

Good to know. Next time I get letters from MoMA or Met Museum requesting additional funds, I shall direct their attentions to their respective Director’s salaries.

• 2
    cosmodimontevergine says:

What does Reynold Levy actually do to justify that salary? Is it about fund raising?

• 3
    antikitschychick says:

“Creative consultant Renee Fleming received $497,000 for sprinkling inspirational diva dust amongst the company in various forums.”

SAY WHAT?? That’s a hefty sum of money for sprinkling some diva dust…then again, a diva’s dust is special and should always serve a purpose beyond monetary endeavors.
    SHAME ON HER FOR PUTTIN A PRICE ON HER DIVA DUST :-P

• 3.1
      Nerva Nelli says:

Carly Fiorina is not just one of opera’s most celebrated sopranos, but perhaps its most convincing actress. A consummate artist, her one and only role when she stands in the spotlight is to breathe so much life into the opera’s main character that audiences lose themselves in her unforgettable performances. That is the passion of Carly Fiorina.

• 3.1.1
        Camille says:

LOL

Such is the passion of NN!

• 3.1.2
        FragendeFrau82 says:

Did anyone else think during the Rolex ads at Wimbledon the same copywriter does their print and tv ads?

• 3.1.3
        Grane says:

Isn’t Rene’s diva dust responsible for the forthcoming opera version of Ann Patchett’s Bel Canto starring Danielle de Niese?

DDN is not just one of opera’s most celebrated sopranos, but perhaps….oh, never mind.

• 3.2
      Camille says:

Good 4 U, AKC, for protesting the puntangization of Diva Dust!

There oughta be a law against it.

• 3.3
      arepo says:

Why put the blame on her?
      Isn’t it the people who knuckled under to her demands (if there were such demands) who ought to be thumped on the noggin instead?

• 4
    La Cieca says:

“Diva dus’! I ain’ want none of dat stuff, I tells you. Take dat stuff away, Buzzard!”

• 5
    Porgy Amor says:

“Ha! Tell that to somebody else. Nobody ever gave up diva dus’!”

• 6
    Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

Grüße aus Wien! I wanted to let tutti Parterriani know that in response to comments I received about the Claudia Muzio recording in my “Trovatore” marathon retrospective, I have just posted the complete Act I of “Tosca” with Muzio and Dino Borgioli from the opening night of the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco in 1932 (the sound is not so great, but I know of no other live Muzio recording), as well as a Muzio compilation of arias and songs, mostly recorded in 1934-1935 (with one track from 1911).

Just click on:

As always, comments, correction, and requests are most welcome!

Vielen Dank! Pfiat di!

• 6.1
      Ah la Civetta says:

Oh, I love Muzio so, so much! Thank you. Such a beautiful voice… she could use so many colors to shade the text.

I model my singing after her!

• 7
    m. croche says:

1.5 million for Gockley to produce a season of 8 operas that includes Traviata, Madama Butterfly, The Barber of Seville, and Show Boat.

• 7.1
      Henry Holland says:

I believe he’s on the hook for the current Mary Magdalene, as well as recent duds like Glass’ Appomattox, the pandering The Bonesetter’s Daughter and *yikes* Heart of a Soldier. Still to come: Tobias Picker’s Dolores Claiborne.

With his preference for pre-sold stories, Gockley reminds me of a Hollywood producer, more concerned with being able to sell an easily marketable pop-culture story (see: the disaster that is Johnny Depp With A Bird On His Head, erm….The Lone Ranger) than with producing interesting operas.

• 7.1.1
        ianw2 says:

Whilst getting the kudos for being the only AD who regularly programs American opera!

I still haven’t forgiven him for his role in Dead Man Walking.

• 7.1.1.1
          LittleMasterMiles says:

I won’t defend his salary except to point to the board that chooses to pay it, but it seems you’re holding Gockley to a double standard—he champions new opera (maybe less now than in the past) but is then blamed when not all of them are successful. He deserves credit for Nixon in China, Akhnaten’s U.S. premiere, several works by Carlisle Floyd, etc.

• Henry Holland says:

Well, to use a sports analogy, he’s been on a losing streak then. It’s one thing to commission works and have them not succeed (either artistically, at the box office or both) because they’re daring and push the art form a little further along, but can that be said of any of the operas I mentioned? Hell, look at the list of stuff that premiered in Houston (Gockley was there from 1972-2005):

There’s a handful of successes, amidst stuff like The End of the Affair, Glass’s Planet 8, Tippet’s New Year, *shudder* Harvey Milk *shudder* etc.

He deserves credit for Nixon in China

1987.

Akhnaten’s U.S. premiere

1984.

several works by Carlisle Floyd, etc.

The last in 2000 (Cold Sassy Tree, which I enjoyed when it was produced in San Diego).

I still haven’t forgiven him for his role in Dead Man Walking

Or as a friend calls it: Dead Opera Walking. Of course, Lotfi Mansouri had a losing streak of his own at SFO: The Dangerous Liaisons, A Streetcar Named Desire, Dead Opera Walking and the appalling Arshak II.

Don’t get me started on LA Opera’s world premieres! :)

• 8
    Camille says:

By the way, is the name of this artwork “Andy does Peter”? Or maybe “Peter as Andy”?

• 9
    La Valkyrietta says:

• 9.1
      Camille says:

La Vally!!!!!!

Can you hear my shrieks of laughter from here???? How and where did you find this a solute 24 kt gold instance of SHEmale hysterical solidarity???

I will love U 4 EVAH 4 this!!!

Thanks so much, it not only made my day, it gives me the strength to carry on

Most gratefully yours
      Camille

• 10
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

A “signing bonus” of $200,000 for leaving the Houston Grand and a $1million dollar compensation also for leaving the Houston Grand Opera??? Wish I could ge me one of those. I’m still living with the mentality that teachers make $6,000 per year. DIsgusting.

• 11
    phoenix says:

news of another opera entrepreneur:

Placido Domingo in hospital in Spain with embolism

Published -- Jul 09 2013 11:37AM EST

CHRIS TALBOTT, AP Music Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Opera singer Placido Domingo is in the hospital after suffering a blockage in an artery of the lungs.

Domingo’s publicist says the 72-year-old is expected to make a full recovery but will have to miss at least two appearances scheduled for later this month. He was admitted to the hospital Monday in Madrid, Spain.

Doctors say the pulmonary embolism was caused by a blood clot.

Publicist Nancy Seltzer says doctors have asked the Spanish tenor and conductor to rest for three to four weeks, but that healing time varies. His return to the stage will depend on how quickly he regains his strength.

It’s not the first time Domingo has faced a serious medical condition.

Domingo returned to the stage just 45 days after undergoing colon cancer surgery in 2010 and has maintained a vigorous schedule and displayed an uncommon vitality at an age when most stars have stepped away from the spotlight.

He is the most visible opera singer in the world and has performed more than 140 roles, expanding his repertoire to include baritone roles in the past half-decade. The Three Tenors member also recently was named the new goodwill ambassador for the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization for his efforts in spreading classical music around the world.

Domingo has canceled his performances in Daniel Catan’s “Il Postino,” which were to begin July 17 at the Teatro Real in Madrid, as well as an appearance on July 21 at Plaza Mayor.

• 11.1
      Quanto Painy Fakor says:

I hope you will join me in praying for Domingo’s complete recovery.

• 11.1.1
        Porgy Amor says:

Indeed. This is very serious, and he was certainly in a high-risk group. That vigorous schedule mentioned in the article requires him to travel by air a great deal, with long periods of limited mobility.

• 12
  • 13
    norma54 says:

Fleming’s “presence” in Chicago is a joke! She only sings high-priced gala concerts……or “semi-staged” performances of a non-subscription opera…… hardly anyone wants to hear. Heaven forbid she should sing a full run, of a repertoire opera which perhaps would help sell out the subscription season. Lyric will perform OTELLO and RUSALKA this year……. two of Fleming’s signature roles……..but NO FLEMING !!! 1/2 a million…………for WHAT?? PASSION posters??? As I said,……….a JOKE !