• Porgy Amor: In Monastyrska’ s defense, while she’s not exactly a born stage animal, she can be... 1:57 AM
  • antikitschychick: Dawbrowski, this is a very cogent and thought-provoking post (and in my defense I did... 1:46 AM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Oh, no, you didn’t, gurl! Antikitschgirl is coming for your wig. 1:42 AM
  • Krunoslav: “not that many Marzellines have moved up to Fidelio” Only Met example: Metropolitan... 1:23 AM
  • Dabrowski: This is an illuminating discussion. Thanks, all! Pavarotti died with a fortune of 250 million... 12:45 AM
  • La Cieca: I’ll try to explain myself once, and then I’ll leave it. I’ve used that word... 12:34 AM
  • antikitschychick: LOL hurrah for you Porgy! :-). Also, Queen DiDo is a kewl name. 12:28 AM
  • laddie: OPERA CAKE – I cannot find my recording of that Hoffman; if anyone has any clues where I can... 12:25 AM
  • antikitschychick: “Or you could, on the other hand, do the constructive thing of comparing her to a... 12:24 AM
  • laddie: yes, and I listened to that Onegin broadcast very closely and no matter what’s in the head,... 12:22 AM

Hysterical blindness

Before we Yanks all go our merry ways for the July 4 holiday, here’s a quick reminder of this summer’s must-see: Il trovatore from the Bayerische Staatsoper, which will be webcast live on Friday, July 5 starting at 1:00 PM EDT. La Cieca herself will hostess a livechat for this event featuring Jonas Kaufmann and Anja Harteros, in the controversial new production by Olivier Py.

• Jamie01 says:

What are the odds Anja cancels?

• Feldmarschallin says:

Bayerische Staatsoper TV

Die ersten Termine zu Staatsoper.TV in der Saison 13/14
      01.12.2013 Die Frau ohne Schatten
      28.12.2013 La Forza del Destino

• Feldmarschallin says:

I would be very careful to bet against her cancelling since so far this season at the BSO she has sung all her scheduled performances which were two Elsas, three Desdemonas and so far two Leonoras with two more of those scheduled and another Desdemona scheduled plus two Elisabettas in Don Carlos. So far she is 7 for 7 :)

• spiderman says:

That’s not quite true, as she was originally scheduled for three Elsas and later realized she was required at rehearsals aat La Scala, so she cancelled Elsa #3 (though a month in advance or so …)
        I am sure though she won’t cancel Munich as she must have lost loads of money already this season because of her cancelations …

• Feldmarschallin says:

That last Elsa was cancelled way in advance of the ticket sales which are two months in advance. I believe that in July when the new program was announced and printed she already was only scheduled for the first two. Originally when the season was announced in March/April she was announced for all three but then shortly thereafter already on the website Haller appeared for the third Elsa.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Well Kaufmann certainly has guts and this two days before the video:

Schwanenritter-Überraschung: Sehr kurzfristig hat heute Jonas Kaufmann die Rolle des ?#LOHENGRIN für den erkrankten Klaus Florian Vogt übernommen! Und schon beginnt die Vorstellung

• 1003 says:

I was there, before the performance, Bachler stepped up and everybody was like “nein!” then when he said substitute will be Jonas Kaufmann, the house went down with cheers. It looked like a very last minute substitution because there was no change on the
      roles in the paper or anywhere on the house.
      To do a understudy job 2 days before video
      transmission of the role you first tried.
      It’s more nuts than guts.

• antikitschychick says:

well I’ll be at ze beach basking under the floridian sun during this transmission but I hope to still catch it as its a fabulous cast and the production looks super interesting…Anja sounds amazing in this clip…omg…
    also, I’ve concluded that I really must learn German as I’ve given up on the Germans ever REALLY opening themselves up to the world and provide subtitles in their PUBLIC vids for us ‘uncultured yanks’ (and the rest of the english speaking public, which is, ya know, half the world these days)…any who, the performances should be wunderbar so aint nothin else matter cuz :-D

• Milady DeWinter says:

Gott in Himmel! Meiner kishkes sind in der vervomitflingen mit diese regie-schiese. Ach!
      Still, I may tune in just for the fun of it.

Cut out the middleman! Learn Italian!

• FragendeFrau82 says:

English subtitles are available for the BSO livetv broadcasts.

• antikitschychick says:

Wunderbar!! Thanks for the info Fragen ????

Armer: I know spanish so Italian isnt a problem for me…my issue is with the interviews and the production info which was all in German so I have no idea what they be sayin’.

• antikitschychick says:

Those question marks were supposed to be a smiley face lolol :P

• FragendeFrau82 says:

That’s ok, akc! You are right, though, they provide no subs for features such as the video above. They sometimes have features during the intervals, but I can’t remember if they have subs for those or not.

Caution: there have been a couple of broadcasts where the English subtitles didn’t work. Fingers crossed for this one.

Can this be watched via iPhone? I left my computer in NYC. Does anyone know?

TY!

Their IPHONE version might only be available in Europe, but be sure you have unlimited internet access or wifi before you watch something as long as an opera that way.

“Stream für iOS (iPad/iPhone)
      Mobile Geräte mit iOS wie iPad oder iPhone verwenden eine andere Technologie. Für diese Geräte bieten wir einen speziellen Live-Stream an, der über einen eigenen Link auf der Webseite abgerufen werden kann. Es kann jedoch sein, daß in seltenen Fällen z.B. eine ältere iOS Version die korrekte Wiedergabe verhindert. Wir bitten diesen Einzelfall zu entschuldigen.

Bitte testen Sie im Vorfeld die korrekte Funktion über unseren Testlink für iOS im Bereich Multimedia.”

Thank you, QPFster. I will do my best to follow instructions.

How are you these days? I hope all goes well with you.

Thanking you once again for all the wonderful things you have posted.

Love--
        Camille

The idea of a Leonora who can bearly see is so tantalizing. Reminds me of this scene for Leonora and Inez from an earlier production of the opera in California.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

In anticipation of Friday’s Webcast of “Il trovatore” from München, I have just posted 34 excerpts from the opera recorded between 1903 (Francesco Tamagno) and 1976 (Joan Sutherland and Luciano Pavarotti) at my Mixcloud site. All of the artists performed their roles at the Metropolitan Opera. Some of the interpolations taken in the earliest recordings are quite, uh… I guess interesting might be the best word, but also fascinating in some cases. It took me forever to do the indexing (it runs just a bit over two-and-a-half hours), so I hope you all enjoy it! Just click on:

Be sure to check back every few days for new postings, and please let me know what you’d like to hear in the future.

Happy 4th of July to our American friends!

• mjmacmtenor says:

Thanks so much for the “Trovatorethon”. I finally finished it this weekend. Some of my faves were the earliest excerpts. Loved Munzio’s “D’amor….”! Lillian Nordica’s version was fascinatingly demented in its ornamentation, seemed like she wandered in accidentally from the Lucia Mad Scene -- and this from a soprano who also sang Brunnhilde and Isolde.

• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin says:

Dear mjmacmtenor, I can’t thank you enough for your comment! In your honor, I will post Act I of “Tosca” from the opening night of the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco, 15 October 1932. Muzio is Tosca. I hope you enjoy it! By the way, they only presented Act I as part of the opening night gala ceremony. As always, please check in at:

from time to time to see my latest posts.

I have more Muzio if you are interested (I LOVE that voice!). Just let me know! Tschüß!

• CruzSF says:

How interesting. If only one act of Tosca were to be presented, I wouldn’t have expected it be Act I.

• laddie says:

Can someone comment on why this production is “controversial?”

• laddie says:

I listened to the entire recording and it was magnificent. ALEXEY!

• DonCarloFanatic says:

At a guess, naked people.

And what about that bed, huh? In bed with the woman he thinks is his mama?

• laddie says:

Thank you DCF. Can’t WAIT to see it.

• Feldmarschallin says:

No Manrico is sleeping in the second act and Azucena crawls into bed with him but it is not a sexual act but a motherly act of how a mother would crawl into bed to comfort her son. Azucena then puts her arm around Manrico but he will have none of it and puts her arm away from him. Later in the next act we do see Leonora and Manrico in bed and here it is obviously a sexual thing but both are with clothes. Also Manrico is sort of a mamas boy in this production.