• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: This is exactly what they did. Keenlyside attempted to sing Act II, but conked... 4:01 AM
  • Buster: Thanks Camille, to you too! The (renovated) opera house in Liege is beautiful. Lots of elderly... 12:33 AM
  • Buster: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=VJSp 9mYT9GM 12:11 AM
  • zinka: The old standing line was a “life unto itself.” I just cannot figure out why,wearing a... 11:59 PM
  • peter: Kennlyside’s understudy sang the dress rehearsal. They probably just plugged in footage from it. 10:38 PM
  • Camille: Many happy returns to Maestro Tilson Thomas, whom I remember from the late sixties(!) onward, and... 10:32 PM
  • aulus agerius: Correction: Keenlyside in the first act and someone else after that. 10:08 PM
  • aulus agerius: I don’t see any debacle. All I see is a different Rigoletto in the first two acts from... 10:06 PM
  • antikitschychick: “The more you talk the less I have to…” “vat is the genesis? I dont... 9:52 PM
  • antikitschychick: Monty: http://images.soda head.com/polls/004 367075/1350461932_ soap_funny_xlarge. jpeg ;-)... 9:34 PM

While you waste these precious hours

It has come to La Cieca’s attention that the New York Opera Calendar is sadly devoid of content until Saturday of this week (which is of course the date of the much-anticipated Vêpres Siciliennes at Caramoor). In order to, as one might say, stop up this lacuna, La Cieca proposes a mini-season of video opera so the parterriani may not have to go overlong, you know, without.

First up, Gounod’s Faust, in a classic performance from the Paris Opera in 1975, with Nicolai Gedda, Mirella Freni, Roger Soyer and Tom Krause, conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras.

Here are links where one can download the 1982 Russian film of Faust :

• Signor Bruschino says:

Who directed this production?

That’s the Jorge Lavelli production -which, unsurprisingly, was booed on opening night and now everybody considers it “legendary”.

• grimoaldo says:

I went to Paris to see this production in a revival some years after its premiere with Valerie Masterson, Alain Vanzo and Jose van Dam. Just to write those names now does indeed seem to evoke a legendary past.
        Portions of the audience whistled, booed and jeered at the omission of the ballet -- they had already been doing this production for years, I suppose there must have been protests like that at every performance.

• wotan46 says:

This looks like the so-called “crystal palace” production that the Paris Opera brought to the Met in September 1976 with Gedda, Soyer and Freni, Plasson conducting. I seem to remember some ballet. I know that it ran so long I had to leave early to catch the last train home to Philly. Still lingers in my memory as an enchanting evening.

• havfruen says:

What production was playing at the theater in the picture before it was destroyed? Did the audience survive?

• grimoaldo says:

I think it is an a abandoned cinema (picture palace, movie theatre) in Detroit.

• Batty Masetto says:

Nonsense -- Nadja Michael just made a light lunch of the scenery, that’s all.

• Milady DeWinter says:

Hit the Sack with “Nanon” -- the complete film (1938) : ominously ornate and cheerful. Dancing atop the proverbial powderkeg. Clear the room of easily rattled canines!

No way you can sleep through Erna Sack’s very first number in this great find!

• Milady DeWinter says:

Wait til you get to the “Gnade! Gnade” scene near the end. These massive UFA productions always had the underlying agenda and approval of Herr Goebbels, of course, but this kitschfest is at least relatively low on the “Vaterland uber Alles” scale. I’ve been curious about this for years!

• Hugo Santos says:

Does anyone know if both Les Vêpres Siciliennes and Don Carlos from Caramoor will be broadcasted somewhere?

• Signor Bruschino says:

A million thanks Cieca! Just spent the day watching this & am so pleased seeing a Faust that was as moving as this one! Let the festival continue!

• DonCarloFanatic says:

My thanks, also. A wonderful accompaniment to some tedious things I’m doing today. Nothing like people going to hell to cheer me up!

• decotodd says:

The Bayerische Staatsoper TROVATORE is being streamed on Friday (July 5) at 1pm EST (7pm in Munich).

• DonCarloFanatic says:

I know, and I’ll be unavoidably busy with guests.

Someone make a nice, easy-to-download file, please?

(I hate going to strange sites that want me to download even stranger files to get one of these. Otherwise, because it is available but from a site I don’t trust, I’d be singing along with Herr Kaufmann right now.)

• well, if I may, let me propose a couple more videos for the mini fest:

1. Merry Widow with Sills and Alan Titus:

2. Conrad Sousa’s Dangerous Liaisons

3. Lucia di Lammermoor from Hamilton Opera in Canada. I would encourage Wagnerians in attendance to stick to at least the marriage scene