• messa di voce: Singing and dancing: obviously not members of the Met chorus. Or the now non-existent ballet... 7:07 PM
  • MontyNostry: But the ROH’s Cherevichki at Xmas 2009 was a dispiriting farrago, even with Diadkova and... 6:25 PM
  • zinka: When Regina sang Sieglinde in 1953, Weiland Wagner asked why the”mezzo 221; was doing... 6:24 PM
  • armerjacquino: Fun piece from parterre ‘favourite&# 8217; Christine Rice: http://www.theg... 6:21 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=ukOM Dmzcs7s Comments to follow 6:21 PM
  • armerjacquino: I get that she gave a poor performance. But I still don’t understand why casting an... 6:14 PM
  • armerjacquino: Don’t know the Russian name, but ENO had a huge success years ago with a Rimsky Korsakov... 6:13 PM
  • operadunce: What would be your holiday recommendations? I’m curious. Amahl and the Night Visitors? If... 6:05 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: According to him, this was the biggest success of his career and received a standing... 6:04 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: I’m sorry that Papatanasiu is getting all of this negativity. While she does... 6:02 PM

Statue of limitations

Our weekly canard concerns that greatest of all operas, Don Giovanni—or is it? The question is, if the action of the dramma giocoso transpires in the course of 24 hours, what is one to make of the detail that, less than a day after the Commentatore’s unexpected death, his monument is already in place, and with so specific an inscription to boot?

• grimoaldo says:

Also philosopher Søren Kierkegaard’s essays about the theological implications of Mozart’s “Don Giovanni” have helped to elevate the opera to status of “greatest ever”.

Kierkegaard thought “Don Giovanni” was not only the greatest opera, but “ranks highest among all the
    classical works” not just of music, but anything, ever.

• antikitschychick says:

OMG I totally have to read this…grim I am now indebted to you (for life) for posting this. I luvs Søren Kierkegaard like there’s no tomorrow…will read this in a few hours and post ma thoughts on it.

“I luvs Søren Kierkegaard like there’s no tomorrow”

Mot Du Jour

• laddie says:

and apropos to earlier discussions as well:

There are, as is known, insects that die in the moment of fertilization. So it is with all joy: life’s highest, most splendid moment of enjoyment is accompanied by death. -Søren Kierkegaard

• Krunoslav says:

“I luvs Søren Kierkegaard like there’s no tomorrow”

But he had no trill.

• havfruen says:

Not sure you would love him if you were related to him,as I am, alas.

• benrenki says:

There’s a novel called Der Ruinenbaumeister, by the recently late German novelist and judge Herbert Rosendorfer, which outdoes Inception or various Renaissance novels in its layering of stories within stories. One of the stories involves a sculptor trying to get rid of a set of statues of the twelve apostles. As I recall, Don Giovanni buys one of them as a kind of act of penance to set on the grave of the Commendatore, and the narrator of that particular story points out that the convenient appearance of the sculptor explains why the statue is there so soon after his death.

It’s a witty novel, and I think it’s been translated into English.

Early in his career Rosendorfer served as a judge in the district that includes Bayreuth, and wrote about living there and all that it entailed.