• Tamerlano: And that Medée with Christie…it& #8217;s an absolutely astonishing performance. 1:53 AM
  • Cicciabella: In the meantime, you can listen to Radvan singing a fantastic “O patria mia”, Go to the ARTE Concert channel on... 1:53 AM
  • Krunoslav: While “old hags” is certainly a pertinent phrase in this thread, Niel, my intervention concerned only the actual... 12:52 AM
  • Niel Rishoi: BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at all you old hags taking this seriously!!!!!!!! You just LOVE this, Krunoslav,... 12:42 AM
  • Krunoslav: The Castafiore person wasn’t drowned, but eaten by dungeon serpents (closest she ever got to appearing in GUILLAUME... 12:07 AM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=v_c7 E7RNwxc NO GAY FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! Mme.Dix covered Sondra in Devereux…... 12:00 AM
  • Krunoslav: I am lucky, as I lived in New York, Massachusetts and California in LHL’s active years and got to hear her a lucky 13... 11:49 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Grimmie I’m so happy you had such a good time in Munich, my former stomping grounds. Yes, the Glyptothek and ancient... 11:31 PM

Between the conception and the creation between the emotion and the response

So finally we can see what the Robert Lepage Ring would have looked like if only the Machine hadn’t been totally fucked.

• 1
    Opera Teen says:

Well… That was terrifying…

• 2
    antikitschychick says:

HORRORE!!….I still liked it though :-P

• 3
    Batty Masetto says:

I have always felt that what Wagner really needs is some perukes, somersaults and modern dance.

OK, now that that self-indulgent bit of snark is out of the way, I do think the omission of dance is a shortcoming of the Gesamtkunstwerk concept. There certainly was no shortage of dance in Greek tragedy, which is the supposed antecedent.

And for a tale concerned with forces of nature, the Ring tends to scant the air. The other three classic elements – fire, water, earth – make their presence felt almost constantly. But except for the Flying Wallenda Walküren – and at a stretch, maybe the sky show at the end of Rheingold, if the production goes that way – the cycle is short on impressively airborne moments.

• 3.1
      oedipe says:

the cycle is short on impressively airborne moments

Not the Fura dels Baus version of it, though.

• 3.1.1
        Batty Masetto says:

Very true, though I’m not sure acrobatics are an adequate substitute for character and coherence.

And by the bye, how could anything be more earthbound than toting a large, metal-corseted woman around the stage in a piece of heavy industrial equipment?

• 3.1.1.1
          Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Exactly, Batty. The sight of the stage hands pulling and pushing assorted framework and heavy machinery around the stage was a constant irritation of this production. [I saw Götterdämmerung only].

• 4
    grimoaldo says:

Am I missing something? What does that clip have to do with Wagner? I watched it three times and if it did not say “Wagner” on the title I would not have thought of it.
    Looks like an impressive spectacle, absolutely horrible music.

• 5
    manou says:

In just over an hour, you can listen to the Munich Trovatore here

and/or watch the webcast on July 5th.

• 5.1
      Hippolyte says:

Actually it started a half an hour ago, they’re banging anvils right now.

• 5.1.1
        Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

I was glad I checked the BR Klassik web-site in advance, Hippolyte -- I was expecting it to be on “manou time” too but it began an hour ahead, being 6.30 Munich time.

• 5.1.1.1
          Hippolyte says:

I just looked on the usually trustworthy Operacast. Harteros is doing everything super-slow, dropping words in the cabaletta and shrill on top, Kaufmann is rather can belto, and hard to tell Manistina’s trills because the vibrato is so wide, as was Youn’s.

• grimoaldo says:

I would say “super-slow” describes the whole thing so far (from Manrico/Azucena duet is what I heard).
            Very very slooooooooooooow tempi. Kaufmann sounds grandly heroic.

• 6
    la vociaccia says:

Hahaha, bullshit! Where’s the screaming?

• 7
    aulus agerius says:

Well, that was some Pirra! Can’t remember when I’ve heard both verses. The ritornello sounded strange but maybe that’s cause it’s just so seldom heard!

• 7.1
      eisle says:

Leonora is supposed to sing during the it (8 bars), but she she was already offstage….. it’s the production.

• 8
    aulus agerius says:

She’s swooping and scooping a la leontyne

• 9
    aulus agerius says:

That girl can trilllllll!

• 10
    Ilka Saro says:

Using a flame-thrower to put a nice crust on a creme brulee is familiar. But doing this on top of a drum set? Exactly the sort of thing that separates the Wagner men from the Wagner boys.

• 11
    rysanekfreak says:

Three stills from this would have made a great Guess-the-Regie quiz, and I would, of course, have guessed Don Giovanni.

• 12
    Camille says:

Germans Gone Wild“.

Far f*cking out, man. Was für ein Konzept.

• 13
    -Ed. says:

Trippy. Cirque du Thunderdome. But who cares?