• Amnerees: The movie still at the beginning of this thread is so sinister–vic tim and predator. (It... 10:57 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Thanks so much. It’s the sound some people make when they are constipated. 10:57 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Here’s his “Facebook 221; page in Cyrillic – that should provide the... 10:45 PM
  • zinka: Nasty little arrogant man…… 10:05 PM
  • Lady Abbado: Gheorghiu actually showed up for rehearsals for Werther in Vienna; the first set of pics are... 8:04 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: How does on pronounce the double Y in Bilyy? Is it a matter of duration or a final... 8:03 PM
  • m. croche: Rogers. 6:36 PM
  • kennedet: As the great philosopher “Kenny Rodgers” sings. “You got to know when to hold... 5:48 PM
  • bobsnsane: Yo Cammy & Parterre Peoples ! I saw those ’7 faces’ too… I was too much into... 5:46 PM
  • pirelli: The Beggar Woman is not all that low (it gets up as high as the F# at the top of the staff), nor... 5:38 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden