• Lady Abbado: Ditto; + she never recorded RV, so I hope a German with an iPhone will record and upload it to... 4:22 PM
  • kashania: Yes, but I think that Gheorghiu is also very calculating with how much voice she uses. And... 4:12 PM
  • Lady Abbado: Funny that even though more and more observers say that Angie’ voice has shrunk lately,... 3:59 PM
  • armerjacquino: Lucic was terrific in the Met TROVATORE I saw- sounded the real Verdian deal to me. He and the... 3:55 PM
  • MontyNostry: Lucic was rather good as Luna on the DVD, as I remember. 3:48 PM
  • kashania: It really was. I especially liked the way the whole “machineR 21; came to life at the... 3:21 PM
  • pasavant: Great review. How can I keep from confusing Michael Fabiano and Stephen Costello? I keep getting... 3:09 PM
  • WindyCityOperaman: You are welcom, my dear Tatiana, but I cannot claim full credit for this. It is La Cieca... 2:56 PM
  • Will: Yes, a review that gives the reader a real sense of the kind of excitement that must have been going on... 2:53 PM
  • MontyNostry: The set for that Trovatore was fabulous, though! 2:52 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden