• Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: How utterly sweet of you to suggest this, ML, but I have to say that I am... 4:30 AM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: Teseo is in my fav Handel opera. Startling music a shame it is not done more. Also,... 4:17 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: To the best of my knowledge, airchecks were done in the 1930s and 1940s as... 4:12 AM
  • SF Guy: Trying again… httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=0ItN 6J5wSlM 3:36 AM
  • ML: Someone should invite Jungfer on an all-expenses-paid trip to the U.S. and the Met, as an expression of... 3:34 AM
  • SF Guy: I see several definitions of aircheck in the Wikipedia entry–in this context, is it the... 3:34 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: You might particularly enjoy the passage starting at 14:50. 3:24 AM
  • steveac10: I don’t know that Moser as Nedda is all that odd, but if you look at the sequencing her... 3:20 AM
  • ML: Ernest Fleischmann! Exclusivity, etc. 3:15 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Mr. K. – You might enjoy one of Moser’s four Met Musettas at... 3:12 AM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden