• manou: Yes marshie – but before the supine bit there should be a more vertical phase. 7:18 PM
  • Cicciabella: Any singer who appears “freshly engaged”, “majestic 221;, “unsuppor... 7:04 PM
  • Gualtier M: I also heard several performances by Goerke that were disappointing. The Mme. Lidoine at the Met... 6:43 PM
  • DonCarloFanatic: The garbled Google Translate was a poem of sheer beauty. They liked her, they really liked... 6:25 PM
  • danpatter: I’m glad to know about this. Thanks, Phoenix. 6:22 PM
  • danpatter: No, I meant Pape would (I assume) sing the Wanderer in SIEGFRIED. But time will tell, undoubtedly. 6:20 PM
  • Cicciabella: According to this review Netrebko’s diction in the VLL was faultless: http://www.welt... 5:57 PM
  • Lindoro Almaviva: I am planning to be there for Bolenna in December and maybe January. I would love to see... 5:22 PM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Well done, Gualtier. Thank you. I had forgot about the Goerke-Soviero tuition, and yes... 5:08 PM
  • Maury D: Death in Venice or: the only opera that has ever given me a non-metaphorical headache. 5:01 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden