• quoth the maven: um…in NO way acknowledging etc etc 7:45 PM
  • quoth the maven: Falstaff is ultimately integrated into the group that has taught him his lesson, in an ensemble that emphasizes that... 7:44 PM
  • irontongue: About that Joan Crawford award – we’ll see who should get it after next summer’s Jenufa, hmmm? 7:41 PM
  • quoth the maven: Hold it, Batty. Just because it’s “not the only way of seeing these things” (by which, I assume you... 7:39 PM
  • grimoaldo: Trying to reply to lorenzo on nationalism, it is a long thread, I am not sure where it will come out - “The biggest... 7:30 PM
  • armerjacquino: lorenzo: you shame me. My degree was in Italian and my specialisation was 19th century. Again my apologies, this time for... 7:18 PM
  • lorenzo.venezia: Armer– oh dear. how to parse this one… First, Italian nationalism: the only time the peninsula was ever “united”... 7:14 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Grimmy, I know we’ll never agree on anti-Semitism in Wagner’s works. When one is determined to see these... 7:01 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

What a delightful idea for a new feature.

• E-news says:

“Why don’t you help bury Traviata? It has long been dead.”

“…a most interesting face”. Hmm -- I bet she was delirious about this “compliment”.

My favourite though is “an anomaly of a dog”.

• tannengrin says:

Oh, Mary! She sounds like the inspiration for the beloved Mawrdew Czgowchwz.

How much more progressive, in a way, the conversation seems to have been in 1907. Imagine that exchange about Isolde and the pre-requisite great many love affairs in a MET press conference today. You’d probably be shown the door.

• Ilka Saro says:

I sympathize. When I apostrophize on severed heads, I prefer not to put them on the floor.

• chicagokok says:

Mary Garden lived just a few blocks from my place here in downtown Chicago at the old Blackstone hotel--it is now up and running again since it’s renovation several years ago. I think it is a Radisson property now. I always think of her when I go by it, and wonder which windows belonged to her suite.

• grimoaldo says:

My favourite Mary Garden anecdote --
    She went into a box at an opera house, I don’t remember which one, wearing a stunning strapless evening gown. Another guest in the box, an elderly gentlemen, ogled her and asked “What keeps that dress up, Miss Garden?” to which she replied “Your age and my good taste.”

What a marvellous interview. I often sing Salome’s apostrophe in the shower with an aluminum soap dish hoisted above my head.

• grimoaldo says:

Bing Crosby interviews Mary Garden ( who corrects him on the pronunciation of Debussy’s name) live on Kraft Music Hall radio, 1937:

In the meantime, according to Robert Craft, today’s epicine news — Stravinsky may have been gay (at one time or another): “Here a digression is in order concerning Stravinsky’s friendship with Maurice Ravel, fellow member of Les Apaches, a group of largely gay artists and intellectuals who had taken their name from a Parisian gang of hooligans…. At one of the Firebird rehearsals, Ravel introduced the Russian to his pupil, the epicene Maurice Delage, who became Stravinsky’s lover as well as the surrogate parent for his young children during the composer’s frequent absences.” See

• ianw2 says:

Robert Craft’s great ability has been to hitch Stravinsky’s legacy (and his own as de facto conduit) to any passing wagon.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden