• Batty Masetto: L’armerjacqu ino si è traviato nelle oscurità della lingua italiana, ma per fortuna ha ritrovato il senso giusto.... 9:55 PM
  • Evenhanded: Well. +1! 7:52 PM
  • Poison Ivy: For those who like Oropesa, she has her own youtube channel. This is her latest newsletter: httpv://www.youtub 7:51 PM
  • armerjacquino: WAIT: I’m talking second-degree nonsense about ‘trivial one’. It’s just struck me that... 7:19 PM
  • armerjacquino: The title is kind of untranslatable- it means ‘the trivial one’ or something similar, so it suggests that... 7:16 PM
  • Rowna: I am very happy that Mr. Innaurato penned such a detailed account of Ms. Oropesa’s Violetta.So often when others write about... 6:53 PM
  • laddie: +1 6:40 PM
  • Signor Bruschino: I’m still curious if this great La Cieca blind item from 2014 is about Oropesa??? http://parterre... 6:17 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden