• Feldmarschallin: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=g2-Y nN6-q2s 7:35 AM
  • Cicciabella: It means Lohengrin has a royal date with Loge and today the water of the river Scheldt is dark... 7:34 AM
  • Cicciabella: Re her returning to the Concertgebouw within a year, I’m not surprised by that. I have no... 7:25 AM
  • RobNYNY: Was? 6:59 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Happy Birthday Diva! httpvh://www.youtu be.com/watch?v=hzQ nPz6TpGc 6:55 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Lohengrin bleibt es dabei heute vor der Königsloge? Dunkelblau ist heute die Farbe :) 6:51 AM
  • David: Jonathan Summers isn’t British. But then I’m sure you knew that 5:44 AM
  • redbear: Yes. A long life. His Also Sprach was first performed today in 1896. 5:27 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Didn’t he die in 1949? 5:20 AM
  • redbear: s/b 1918 5:19 AM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden