• m. croche: Um, it’s a bit of a classic….. httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=2ESJ ihzsTgg... 1:55 AM
  • Camille: Oh dear! Thank you so very, very much, Kid! It is all very much as I had intuited, and therefore... 12:40 AM
  • The_Kid: Speaking of which: I just watched an YT clip of someone called Margarita Castro-Alberty sing this... 11:31 PM
  • The_Kid: You took the words right of my mouth: that’s exactly how I feel. She does the cabalettas... 11:27 PM
  • The_Kid: This is for Camille: Camille, you mentioned a book called ‘The Assoluta Voice in Opera’... 11:19 PM
  • steveac10: So if a performer has “flaws” ; they have no business performing? ALL singers have... 11:14 PM
  • Hippolyte: I read somewhere that the Campra opera will travel to BAM in April 2016. 11:11 PM
  • Krunoslav: I adore Miriciuiou, whom I was lucky to see in non-Met performances including a wonderful... 11:09 PM
  • The_Kid: I do not agree with La Cieca on a lot of things, but here I am 100% in agreement: I belong to tons... 10:58 PM
  • Krunoslav: Well, I don’t know if you’re trying to be coy or what, but the fact that Sondra at... 10:49 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden