• Bill: Hippolyte – I agree with you. I never have had trouble hearing any singer in the new Met no... 8:18 AM
  • Ilka Saro: I had an experience a few years ago which I think argues your points better than mine, and is very... 8:16 AM
  • papopera: Let us say, it is quite spectacular 7:38 AM
  • Krunoslav: Porgy– interesting; to me the Malick film foundered on Linda Manz–roughly my... 7:20 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Ponnelle was a genius. Now, in some ways, the torch has passed to Herheim httpv://www.y... 6:42 AM
  • turings: This is a problem with revivals more generally though, no? I’ve only ever seen two productions... 6:29 AM
  • armerjacquino: Beautifully put. 6:15 AM
  • armerjacquino: Couldn’t agree more about that NOZZE. And once again the devil is in the detail. Some... 6:14 AM
  • Buster: “One idea for one work, for one scene, or for one aria is not enough.” I also love what... 5:55 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: The Grandeur that was Madga (pity that the piansit was such a schlep and insensitive to... 5:51 AM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden