• ilpenedelmiocor: Oops, sorry, should have replaced the “s” it seems: httpv://www.you... 11:05 PM
  • ilpenedelmiocor: OK, these quotes make me feel just a *LITTLE* bit better about the fact that every... 11:04 PM
  • Grane: I like Christmas at Carnegie Hall with Kathleen Battle, Kathleen Battle’s Big Red Dress, oh,... 11:02 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I also never get tired of showing this video for the way Fiorenza Cossotto carries on and on at... 11:00 PM
  • Rackon: Bethlehem Down is one of my 2 favorite Christmas carols. It’s quite well known to choral... 10:52 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Only that she completely messed up her lines during Aida’s entrance. 10:30 PM
  • Clita del Toro: If you call the cries of a dying hyena, ” squillo” then good for you. Giordani... 10:29 PM
  • zinka: Sorry to hear,even from friends NOT prejudiced against the wonderful SQUILLO of Marcello(people call... 9:47 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Guys I found this gem from nearly 20 years ago of Olga Borodina’s Amneris. Look at that... 9:37 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Palombi was the substitute when Alagna threw a hissy fit at La Scala. 7:41 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden