• armerjacquino: Stratas made a gorgeous recording of Fennimore’s song. 6:58 AM
  • lyrebird: I heard Magee in Britten’s War Requiem in Berlin (BPO Rattle) and she was the best thing in... 4:15 AM
  • NPW-Paris: … oops, I hadn’t finished! … but doesn’t meet them, it was a very special... 1:23 AM
  • NPW-Paris: “EarnestR 21;. That is very well put. I may quote you on that. Even so,and despite a very... 1:22 AM
  • la vociaccia: Few things here: I’m done with the “give her time” meme. The time to hope... 12:35 AM
  • warmke: A bit harsh. Typical American schooled singer, more focused on evenness of resonance than the curve... 11:23 PM
  • Camille: Just now, remembering how well Poplavskaya played Elisabeth’s scene. I won’t see that... 11:23 PM
  • whiskey per tutti: You are correct. It had the imprimatur of the Kurt Weill Foundation. Conducted by Julius... 10:46 PM
  • warmke: Damned AutoCorrect. 10:32 PM
  • warmke: He was, according to many inside reports, asked to retire from Washington National Opera, which he... 10:31 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden