• "By the way, is OONY dead? From its website, it certainly looks, at the very..." - almavivante
  • "I must say the photo shop on this post is FABULOUS! Jochanaan looks as if he died of..." - laddie
  • "Thanks for including the write-ins, Cieca. Fun to read." - kashania
  • "Or Sharon Needles!!!!" - alejandro
  • "http://www.bing.co m/videos/search?q= dina+martina+presi dent’s+da..." - JohninSeattle
  • "I find expectations for West Side Story always a little bewildering. I love..." - Ilka Saro
  • "Is she still the artistic director (she beat Fleming to the punch – why has..." - phoenix
  • "So, the stage directors instructions to Mr. Alagna consisted of “Yet..." - JohninSeattle

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden