• armerjacquino: I worried as much. Important Honeymoon Decisions depend on this, dammit! 3:34 PM
  • Camille: Born on this day in 1879 was The Most Beautiful Girl in Vienna, Alma Marie Schindler, later Mahler, Gropius, and last but... 3:30 PM
  • armerjacquino: I don’t dislike Scovotti, even if she’s not up to the standard of the others. It gets frustrating, though, when... 3:28 PM
  • Camille: Aside from staggering through Operabase, plugging in one opera or artist after another with those dates in mind, or looking on... 3:28 PM
  • armerjacquino: Steber sang Fiordiligi and Desdemona on the same day, Ponselle sang the FORZA Leonora at 21… you get the feeling that... 3:27 PM
  • Camille: The title of this thread is of slight serendipitous interest, at least to me, as Leonie Rysanek left a quote (somewhere̵... 3:05 PM
  • Porgy Amor: Re: Singing everything/singing too much/singing widely varying rep. Ho to the Met performance database and check out Florence... 3:03 PM
  • kashania: I haven’t heard this aria yet but I must say I’m baffled by the concerns about Netrebko taking on too much too soon.... 2:50 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden