• MontyNostry: “Till is, like, a really wacky guy. I can’t see him being a hit on the lawns at... 4:15 AM
  • MontyNostry: She probably won’t be doing much with the words anyway, Feldmarschallin. 4:12 AM
  • Archaeopteryx: “She is a good singer” - understatement of the year. She is phenomenal, and has... 3:53 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: The next Eva will be Krassimira Stoyanova who was born in 1962. She is 52 now and will be 55... 3:39 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Yes she recovered even if she needed a bit of help yesterday when she came on stage at the... 3:27 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well lets hope she learns German first right? Wasn’t Fleming also suppossed to sing... 3:22 AM
  • steveac10: I can see why it was blocked from your memory. I only remembered it was not originally assigned to... 2:30 AM
  • Buster: Miriam Portmann is much better than all the previous Carlotta’s, she really sings “mit... 2:22 AM
  • La Cieca: Yes, you are right – I was working from memory. Volpe replaced the tired, traditional Carmen... 2:01 AM
  • steveac10: Well, that and he quit borrowing shows for his star tenors’ vanity projects. The thing this... 1:50 AM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden