• chicagoing: There is an Anthony Tommasini review of Dialogues of the Carmelites this morning in the New York Times. I have not been... 9:10 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: On his official Facebook page, Jonas Kaufmann warns us about the upcoming Decca album of his Puccini arias “The Age of... 8:33 AM
  • tiger1: I wondered the same thing. But it is far from the first baritone role sung by Mr Owens. A few years back he was Sharpless in Los... 8:10 AM
  • brooklynpunk: Many thanks, Camille…!! 9:17 PM
  • Camille: Hope you haven’t neglected to include some hatpins for those hats for they also come in so handy with fresh young men.... 8:56 PM
  • Camille: hello brooklyn p. — I was wondering about how you were just the other day, while I was tooling around in the archives.... 8:50 PM
  • Camille: Mille grazie, Milly! You’ve saved me a lot of heartbreak as I shall not be schlepping up country to see this, one of my... 8:49 PM
  • JohninSeattle: armer, ROFL Do the badly sung cabalettas count? It’s *very* Florence Foster Jenkins around here…. 7:32 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden