• overstimmelated: Not Billinghurst?? (Billing rhymes with “fulfilling& #8221;) … Did she leave her... 9:13 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: In my limited experience, Polenzani is at his best among a gifted ensemble that’s... 8:20 PM
  • Benedetta Funghi-Trifolati: Ah! Marion Lippert! The torments she suffered. I saw all her Met roles (Senta,... 8:12 PM
  • peter: Hartig sang gorgeously last night. I haven’t heard such a beautiful lyric soprano voices in ages. 8:00 PM
  • la vociaccia: I’d say Polenzani is quite appropriately rated, actually. He has a very big career and he... 7:45 PM
  • MontyNostry: Ciccia, you make me seem so vulgar by comparison. 7:35 PM
  • orestes: Milady, her cards told me to log out of Sirius. 6:59 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Well, you’re right, uwsinnyc, she does have a top, but it seems more constricted in... 6:35 PM
  • Orion: Hello everybody, I wrote a comment under this article from ANSA caus’ it’s obvious that... 6:24 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: Sarah, Simon, and the rest of the Berlin gang are at Carnegie Hall this week, and at the... 5:25 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden