• lyrebird: Howdy Sutherlanders- Brian Adams’ La Stupenda’ also devotes pages to the Lucia first night and notes ”... 10:05 PM
  • Lohenfal: Bruschino, I don’t think that Gelb hates Fidelio or any other opera. It’s his way of looking at things. If he could... 9:22 PM
  • steveac10: And yet the Met seems to think the best way to use him is as Marcello in Boheme. Hopefully last years Germonts opened a few... 8:31 PM
  • operablogger: …and speaking of opera in the hinterlands (although Santa Fe is less “hinter̶ 1; than many other venues),... 7:52 PM
  • phoenix: Harteros was great, Ciccia – I didn’t care for her in Italian opera, but tonight she was great. Her voice... 7:38 PM
  • Signor Bruschino: Kind of off topic, but Fidelio popped into my mind yesterday and it’s lack of appearance at the Met recently.... 7:16 PM
  • laddie: Quinn Kelsey conquers Santa Fe in Rigoletto: http://tinyurl.com /o9nhnmb Definitely some of the best singing ever heard in Santa... 7:03 PM
  • antikitschychick: Great news; looking forward to Saturday’s broadcast :-). I suspected it would be a great role for her after I saw... 6:31 PM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden