• Quanto Painy Fakor: I guess she was not yet in Washington when William Friedkin’s production at thr... 1:23 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Poor Bobbi K :( 1:16 AM
  • NPW-Paris: I’d love to see Ann Hallenberg do La Grande Duchesse. Fat chance. 1:09 AM
  • mirywi: Strange that Midgette doesn’t remember the performance in March 2012 that she reviewed of... 1:08 AM
  • NPW-Paris: No mention of the widow, only of the temple. You may get a better cast in Brooklyn than we had in... 1:00 AM
  • NPW-Paris: An ad just popped up on the left for Semele at BAM in Zhang Huan’s production. Does that... 12:57 AM
  • Camille: There is the most beautiful imaginable rendition of “Nessun dorma” starting at about... 12:52 AM
  • Camille: That’s because you are there where his œuvre is going to be better understood, naturally.... 12:48 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Aer you certain that “Offenbach is discounted because he is known as Monsieur Robinson... 12:34 AM
  • Camille: Monsieur œdipe also told us about that bad bad evening. He did not care for her, at all, and made... 12:15 AM

Tuesdays with Mary

Miss Garden smiled. “You probably have never seen a thin Violetta,” she exclaimed. “You’ll find that that will make a difference.”  Inaugurating a new feature on parterre, dedicated to the wit and wisdom of Mary Garden, as recorded by the journalists of her day.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Quanto I loved that clip of Liberace. Where and when can that whole movie be seen or is it out already in the States?
      Things usually come out here a few months later.

• antikitschychick says:

Yes I saw it on HBO :-) It was a very good movie….great acting by Michael and Matt.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

It was made for TV in the states Feldmarschallin, but is being released in cinemas elsewhere. In the UK it has been out for a couple of weeks already.

• Will says:

“Mary Garden’s memory of the high C in La bohème from Nellie Melba’s last London concert: ‘That note came floating over the auditorium of Covent Garden. It left Melba’s throat, it left Melba’s body, it left everything…My God, how beautiful it was!’”

• Talk of the Town says:

“Mary Garden, this is your moment. Tomorrow Paris will be at your feet!”

--Mary Garden

• Buster says:

Just re-read what Michael Scott wrote about her in the Record of Singing -- fabulous chapter! She was not very tall (little Miss Garden), which I did not know, and a much better singer than her New York critics made her to look like. I only have the records she made with Debussy at the piano, which are irreplacable:

“I don’t have a voice, I have twenty!”

Miss Garden