• Cicciabella: The first 4:06 AM
  • Porgy Amor: Ouf: JV is alive at 88, but, sadly, not in a condition to provide assistance here. :-( I... 4:04 AM
  • MontyNostry: NL would never be so straightforward as to use such plain-coloured language. He is the would-be... 4:03 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=OWC9 iV-eY7M 3:30 AM
  • Ouf: Many thanks, Moritz. It would make sense that ORF would b’cast the premiere, not a later... 2:09 AM
  • Rackon: Angela is singing/sang Aida in Hamburg and Pitsburgh this year, she did something with Phillidelphia... 1:25 AM
  • Poison Ivy: sorry let me try this again: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=6OU0 KOBK9pU httpv://www.you... 1:12 AM
  • Poison Ivy: More from this performance: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=6OU0 KOBK9pU https://www.you... 1:11 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Galina Gorchakova. 12:43 AM
  • Porgy Amor: Then again, she must have known that she’d never have a night like this for her own retirement.... 12:43 AM

Qui la chat sua soave

La Cieca is away, but the regular Saturday chat goes on uninterrupted: this week with archival podcasts of I puritani from 1972 starring Luciano Pavarotti and birthday girl Beverly Sills.

I’m sure you’re all celebrating the centenary of Le Sacre to Printemps today. Here’s a very cool visualisation of the score.

Well, Kahie, I am “celebrating” Sacré Printemps here -- the worse, coldest, dullest rainiest May in 40 years. Shiver…

KaShie, of course. Or even Kashania.

I am just listening to Le Sacre on Radio 3 now. You know, I didn’t like that piece when I first consciously heard it (aged 10 -- I didn’t know what it was when I saw Fantasia at the age of seven or so) and I still don’t like it. It has its moments, but I just find it unsympathetic -- which I suppose is fair enough, considering it ends in human sacrifice. I just love its coeval, Debussy’s ‘Jeux’, though. Also a piece that looks very much forward, though it tends to get a bit lost in the cultural mix, not being bangy and crashy.

I like bangy and crashy. LOL But I admit that I don’t know “Jeux” very well (or have only heard it passing).

I like bangy and crashy too, but I just don’t get it Rite.

• ianw2 says:

There is a school of thought that Jeux has had more of an impact on contemporary orchestral music than Rite.

I tend to have the same look on my face when someone says they don’t like Rite as the look I receive when I say I think Tristan is a waste of time (in the memorable phrase of Jeremy Denk ‘a storm crosses her brow that would close the airport for days’).

For your info:

You can watch the revival of the original 1913 Nijinski Sacre, created at the Théâtre des Champs Elysées, and the new Sasha Waltz version of the Sacre, created for the TCE centenial, on ArteLiveWeb. With Mariinsky and Gergiev:

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1908 mezzo-soprano Edith Coates

Born on this day in 1912 countertenor Alfred Deller

Born on this day in 1922 soprano Florence Quartararo

Born on this day in 1931 soprano/mezzo-soprano Shirley Verrett

Happy 64th birthdayS bass-baritone Alfred Muff and soprano Nancy Shade

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Sorry, wrong post for Nancy Shade:

The previous was for the birthday anniversary of composer Ferdinando Paer born in 1771 on June 1

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1892 soprano Valeriya Vladimirovna Barsova

Happy 72nd birthday conductdor Edo De Waart

Happy 68th birhtday mezzo-soprano Frederica Von Stade

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

What can anybody tell me about Nina Rautio? It’s a name I’ve only been dimly aware of until now, but listening on YouTube she sounds like she was pretty exciting, with a bona fide spinto voice. Was it a brief career? Seems as if she tended to go hell for leather whenever she possibly could. One comment on YouTube from somebody whose native language I’m guessing is not English says that she ‘undertook deadly parties too early’, but then maybe that is exactly what they meant to say, I know nothing about what she got up to, on stage or off.

CK, I saw Rautio once, as Aida at the ROH in 1994 as Aida and remember thinking she sounded like a more substantial version of Ricciarelli. (Will have a listen on YouTube to see what I think now.) She recorded Manon Lescaut for Sony with Maazel (as I’m sure you know). When it came to Russian spintos of that kind of period, the late Natalia Troitskaya made more of an impression on me when she sang Adriana in concert at the Barbican. Maybe because she was very glamorous.

Here’s Troitskaya, apparently wearing a Russian kokoshnik to play Roxane/Roxana (though I guess Sultan’s favourites often came from Eastern Europe).

• pobrediablo says:

Just when we thought Penda wasn’t crazy enough -- she’ll be doing Carmen and wait for it…Electra (Strauss) in two years!!

• Hippolyte says:

and Fidelio in Santa Fe summer of 14.

• la vociaccia says:

Really? That SALOME worked due a combination of small performance space and about a tractor-trailer full of batshit crazy. Having said that I will gladly fly to wherever she plans to do that elektra.

Crazy…

• pobrediablo says:

She said it in an interview today but no details yet as to where/when exactly. I imagine it would be again somewhere in Schweiz.