• gk: #7 is definitely Adriana Maliponte from the 1985 broadcast. 2:49 PM
  • YigeLi: The broadcast is exactly on Feb. 11. Or, I guess Lissner would try again to hold the news until last second as he did for the... 2:36 PM
  • m. croche: Operatic Othello without the blackface. Video interview here 2:26 PM
  • fletcher: I’m eager to hear how she does, since I’m on the fence about seeing Butterfly next month in LA. It’s not an... 2:20 PM
  • antikitschychick: Was looking at the 16/17 season schedule for Opera de Paris and noticed there is a huge banner across the top of the... 2:16 PM
  • melisma catatonia: To armerjacquino: I wish I had thought of Verrett’s Elisabetta when I spoke to Madame Norman! Now it occurs to... 2:05 PM
  • Niel Rishoi: Thanks for this review; gratified to read that it went well. La sonnambula is a terrifically difficult opera to cast well. It... 1:22 PM
  • WindyCityOperaman: I remember Lee singing this in recital, and it brought me to tears. httpvh://www.youtu be.com/watch?v=ziW yv0nVIkQ 1:11 PM

Lady for a décolleté

La Cieca invites the cher public to open up and discuss any off-topic or general interests they might want to get off their chest.

• zinka says:

in 1972 I went to City Opera for a Galvany Bolena..BUT who was that fabulous mezzo???It was Olivia Stapp. born may 29, 1940…later changed to soprano and a GREAT singer. She has done lots of directing out in California and is one of the nicest,funniest,sweetest ladies..(One of you make fun of my mentioning my diva friends..but they are just jealous..especially that I dated Nordica.)

LOVE YOU Olivia!!!!!!

• zinka says:

hhtpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzJQtQ54sT

The greatest Vissi d’arteyeyeyeyeyey…..La Cieca tried to better this..but was a dismal flop!!!!!

• zinka says:

Vedete??There is hope for all of us…..

• zinka says:

GREAT MAN May 30, 1919..Career shortened somewhat by herniated vocal chord,but he left an indelible mark in opera history!!!!!!

George London was a DYNAMO on stage!!!!!

• zinka says:

You know suddenly I started to cry as i heard London as Mandryka..Maybe his greatest role…You never know when the emotion hits you…..

• zinka says:

Here is a preview of the beautiful new album entitled, “Heart’s Delight,” featuring Piotr Beczala, one of the great tenors of this era and any era. I know Tauber would be thrilled!!!

• zinka says:

Yes,i loved all those great mezzos..but SHIRLEY belongs way way up there..One of the greatest!!!!!

May 31, 1931..Bless her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• zinka says:

I did not know Mascagni wrote Manon!!!!!!

Did we ever think she was dull??and FLOWERS NOW??????

Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freni,Garaventa

• zinka says:

How in the world is it possible for a famous artist opf Moffo’s stature (like Ricciarelli) to do this? I cannot understand it..Yes, one one level it is “funny,’ but considering her wonderful Met debut that i loved..it is sad.