• CarlottaBorromeo: And sometimes they can be broken as Konwitschny proved with 5a – you can stage... 5:27 AM
  • La Cieca: I honestly think the “howlingR 21; comes from only a few in the chorus; most of them are... 11:47 PM
  • steveac10: Yes, you’d think they would want a challenge. When I was doing chorus work back in the... 9:49 PM
  • Krunoslav: http://tinyurl.com /qyp8osq 9:30 PM
  • Constantine A. Papas: Concerning unyielding, monolithic authoritarianism of some on this blog, on June 18,... 9:25 PM
  • manou: Not even gold hens. 8:23 PM
  • RudigerVT: Because, if you had achieved a position that is 40 times more competitive than getting into... 8:07 PM
  • Krunoslav: Not “Nice” ? 8:02 PM
  • BB: Far less. There was no safety and they could explode in your face. Never thought that moment was... 7:35 PM
  • Clita del Toro: PS I bet in those days guns were even less safe. 7:20 PM

Meeting Mrs. Haines socially

The Wiener Staatsoper should be a source of some interesting backstage gossip next September as the company presents on alternating nights Angela Gheorghiu as Tosca and Aleksandra Kurzak as Violetta. (La Cieca doesn’t know if she said ermine or sable coat, but…)

• Lady Abbado says:

I’m sure Roberto will stay safely away from Vienna in that eventful month…Life will imitate art!

Yes My Lady, the exact same thought crossed my mind when I first set my eyes on the Staatsoper schedule!

On the other hand, I will be there, having booked a Staatsoper Diva Week: in addition to the Kurzak Traviata and the Gheorghiu Tosca, I got myself tickets for Harteros’ Desdemona and Rinat Shaham’s Carmen. I am pretty sure Kurzak will show up…

Another curious twist to that week: the Carmen falls on Yom Kippur; not only is Rinat Shaham the Carmen, but Laurent Naouri is Escamillo and Dan Ettinger conducts. What’s the world coming to?

Drôles de gens que ces gens-là!

• papopera says:

Yom Kippur WTF ! !

• Donna Anna says:

Oedipe--if it’s Yom Kippur day, nothing to worry about since it ends at sundown. If it’s Yom Kippur eve…it is Vienna and two out of the three are secular Israeli, meaning no big deal.

• CwbyLA says:

The world is coming to a better place if artists are putting their art, work and passion before their religion!

It’s OK, if it’s post-Yom Kippur they can just replace the manzanilla with some Kiddush wine and if it’s at the beginning of the fast, they can just preface the opera with Bruch’s Kol Nidrei.

You’re my kind of guy, Monty: the practical wisdom of a sage!
          Like the rabbi who is approached by a despondent orthodox Jew: “Rabbi, my son eats pork and is dating a shiksa, what can be done?” And the rabbi answers: “Well, what do you expect him to do, date a pig and eat a shiksa?”

• pobrediablo says:

I’m sure they are all fine. Didn’t they split amicably?

My money’s on Ange.

Attagirl!!

• riccardo says:

Angela pour la voix bien sûr, mais la chicken a fait plier Elina, alors tout est permis!

Norma: Angela Gheorghiu
    Adalgisa: Aleksandra Kurzak
    Pollione: Roberto Alagna
    Oroveso: Ildar Abdrazakov
    Clotilde:Barbara Frittoli

Great casting -just think how vrai the ending would look-, but shouldn’t it be posted in the Norma thread?

Haha! This is the BEST cast anyone has come up with yet.

Only one element is lacking: Flavio = Rolando Villazon.

Now, how about the pargoletti?

• Donna Anna says:

Cammy--only if Netrebko is singing Adalgisa.

• pobrediablo says:

Norma would be completely drowned out in that case.

MMIItm—

Madness this way lies

Okay, the rules of he game are as follows:

If one feels utterly compelled to call me other than Camlle, if one makes up a totally ORIGINAL name and sticks to it, viz., CammiB, ecc., it is okay.

It’s just that it makes me feel like a plush toy. And i am not.

I do appreciate your kindness and know its intentions, MMIItm.

Love
            Camille AKA
            CammiB 4 U only!

I wish to clarify this matter and take this instance as I know Donna Anna only as a perfectly amenable and lovely parterrian, and she intends no injury—so it is nothing to do with she--

Mon nom est C-A-M-I-L-L-E!!!!
          Being repeatedly rederred to as “Cammie, Cammy”, etc. ad nauseam, Makes. Me. Feel. Like. A. CAMISOLE!!

Since I am not an article of underclothing, please call me Camille.

I rest my case.

• Donna Anna says:

Chere Camille, toujours Camille.

Mes excuses enormes. No offense intended; I was merely following in the footsteps of other parterrians. Never a good idea. Case rested.
            In any event, Villazon’s dance card is mostly Mozart, Traviata and Onegin.

Your admirer,
            Donna Anna

Chère Donna Anna -- les excuses devraient être plates. Elles sont très rarement énormes.

(No, there is no conspiracy to correct your every post!)

• marshiemarkII says:

Mon chere CammiB adoree, does CammiB (short for Camille Belle) also fall under the CAMISOLE rubric? or is MMII out of the league of insultants? you know well where her heart is, verdad?

mmII -- you are suffering some gender confusion there, I’m afraid.

No offense, bella Donn’Anna!

Only because you are a nice lady did I dare tack my little plea onto your post.

The only person who may call me that is Clita del Toro, my godfather.

Thank you very much indeed.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Le Grande Macabre again!

• marshiemarkII says:

“you are suffering some gender confusion there, I’m afraid”

what else is new caro Montissssimo? Isn’t gender confusion MMII’s middle name :-)
            though MA chere would have been more idiomatic n’est-ce pas?

• luvtennis says:

Camille:

Puppets of course. Aren’t puppets always preferable to live rug rats on stage?

(I love children, btw. In movies and on TV and in other peoples’ homes.)

• spiderman says:

Natale de Carolis must get a mute role in that one!

• Kassandra says:

Why do opera houses never have such brillant ideas?

• Regina delle fate says:

You’re all a gaggle of gossips! Hehe

OT, but it seems there were boos for the production team at La donna del lago tonight …

Judging by the shot of Joyce in a fishtank, Mr Fulljames was trying to do a Rusalka on Rossini.

• Batty Masetto says:

Do you think “JDD in a fishtank” has any prospects for survival as a new equivalent for “Jesus Christ on a bicycle”?

Well, JDD is acquiring (operatic) Messiah-like status in London at the moment.

She’s making a lot of friends among actors, too, by going to the theatre and raving about it.

The girl certainly has energy! And she was at Don Carlo the other Saturday night too. Doubt she’s considering Eboli, though!

• Bianca Castafiore says: