• Milady DeWinter: Understood, ilpenedel, and thank you; I should have said that “some” can at... 12:52 PM
  • Clita del Toro: I didn’t want to discus Studer’s appearance when I saw the photo, but…to... 12:44 PM
  • Dabrowski: I actually agree with OAS that Battle suffered (and, I would imagine, still suffers) from pretty... 12:43 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well that outfit is quite something. Did she just clean her house? And the hair? Here... 12:37 PM
  • kashania: After her dismissal from the Met, she’s done nothing but concert (and recital) work. 12:26 PM
  • operainsider: Well I would normally agree about hollywoods problem casting women and minorities but Lupita... 12:03 PM
  • Cicciabella: So DG’s using the same photos as in her Verdi album booklet. Beautiful pictures, but it... 11:52 AM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: Operaasport – thanks for your opinion which has shed alot of light on La... 11:40 AM
  • Grane: If that’s the one that was televised, I remember thinking Pavarotti looked like a cadaver next... 11:38 AM
  • quoth the maven: The pun? Oh that’s right, she’s black! And you said “whitewashed .”... 11:36 AM

… and now the worse news

A couple of tweets from Thomas Hampson detailing some grisly-sounding future projects, following the jump.

• adina says:

I may have to seek medical attention.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Just like those poor folks at the Tannhäuser in Dusseldorf?????

• laddie says:

I imagine DD will sound something like this:

• Grane says:

Speaking of DDN, we may owe Natalie Dessay an apology. Looks like she just missed the one performance of GC.

And whoever it was who posted that weird rant when Dessay cancelled the one performance- ‘I told you all this would happen a year ago and you didn’t listen but I was right’ (but nastier and madder) probably should pop up to say something too, but since I can’t remember who it was there was, um, very little point in this post.

*slinks away*

• willym says:

Gosh maybe we should get together a record club like the Norman Lebrecht book club everyone was going on about earlier this week.

• m. croche says:

I’d pay good money for a Thomas Hampson -- Leon Redbone tribute album. Any chance we could get Hampson liquored up?

(at 4:40, Leon muses on the age of the castratos)

• Donna Anna says:

That would make one hell of a night club act, if Hampson allowed for a singalong.

Has anybody seen Baryshnikov dancing to Redbone’s Seduced? Unforgettable.

• papopera says:

Oh, I thought the worst news was that La Voigt would be indisposed for Saturday’s broadcast. No suck luck.

• Donna Anna says:

My first thought was who’s going to do Thank God I’m a Country Boy. Let Grigolo loose on that one. A friend of mine wrote a parody that went something along the lines of “…all this money, I can never be a loser. Thank God I’m a millionaire.”

• mjmacmtenor says:

This is like the classic version of opera singers going “pop” -- Lucia Poop and Renata von Trapp (AKA French and Saunders). Gotta love the Caballe wig!!