• laddie: Meant to post a video as well: httpv://www.youtub wF9tC4U 11:51 PM
  • laddie: I’d like to personally thank the Bayerische Staatsoper for not just one but two opportunities to see L’Orfeo this... 11:49 PM
  • Gualtier M: There is a rare out of print cd reissue of the Original London Cast of “Promises, Promises” with a young Betty... 11:33 PM
  • marshiemarkII: Glad to see some love for the Clarion Society and the fabulous Steve Fox (ex Lindemann of course). They did a perfectly... 11:29 PM
  • Will: As opposed to the Rich Man’s Frug from Sweet Charity. 9:41 PM
  • Bluebeard: Well, the Clarion Music Society has a superb chorus, and its leader, Steven Fox, does wonders with them. On December 31 and... 9:31 PM
  • RudigerVT: Turkey Lurkey Time is, to say the least, a strange song. But the nascent Michael Bennett used it to introduce early-disco dance... 9:19 PM
  • pirelli: From what I understand, Bacharach was very frustrated by the “live theatre” aspect of things – he was much more... 8:25 PM

… and now the worse news

A couple of tweets from Thomas Hampson detailing some grisly-sounding future projects, following the jump.

• perfidia says:

Just when you think you’ve reached the bottom of the House of Horrors, a door opens, and the descent continues. Domingo already did an album with John Denver. Now he’s recruiting for the kitschy hordes.

• bassoprofundo says:

I don’t get which is worse; the John Denver songs, or Hampson singing more Verdi.

René Pape and Thomas Hampson in a remake of Perhaps Love????? WHY?

Who is or where are the hordes clamouring for this?

Confusa io son….

• antikitschychick says:

• Chanterelle says:

Worse news? Does this mean that the worst is yet to come?

• perfidia says:

Yes. They are planning to release a cover of “Let’s Have a Ki-Ki.”

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Maybe he can recruit Monty Python…

• Batty Masetto says:

I have always wondered what the rest of the words to that song were.

• Amnerees says:

As long as we don’t have to hear him (and WATCH him) perform Amfortas again in New York. (Chicago beware!)

He’s so fine and effective in the American song repertory. Why must he attempt these big operatic roles? In another era (when we had talented musical comedy composers), he might have been the finest Broadway baritone this country ever had. Listen to his Cole Porter album. It’s just perfect. And why is his recording of On the Town out of print? He personified Gaby!

What you are saying here is that Tommy Hampsong is actually Alfred Drake-in-excelsis-?

Hmmmmm…that really is a provocative thought. For myself, I did forgive him many a sin when the occasion to hear him sing Samuel Barber’s Dover Beach was afforded me. He really can be quite fine in the right repertory.

As it happens, now I recall he sang Amfortas in that Met Gala extravaganza in ’09. Funny, but I can’t recall anything of his singing in that work. Perhaps for the best?

• tannengrin says:

That’s quite a departure for Rene. I once heard him sing Rammstein songs.

• tannengrin says:

on second thought, I may actually enjoy having Herr Pape croon “You fill up my senses, like a night in the forest” at me.

• rysanekfreak says:

If there had been a Parterre contest to come up with the most bizarre idea for a crossover CD, this would have been the winner.

Except nobody on Parterre would have been crazy enough to come up with this totally demented concept.

This just about says it all!

• la vociaccia says:

Wait, you mean you aren’t excited for a Hampson “country road” or a Danielle Deniese “you’ve got a friend?”

I’d still buy this over that nymphs-on-lithium Anna Prohaska CD

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

“You’ve Got a Friend” is by Carole King, not John Denver. Though he did write Leavin’ on a Jet Plane which was a hit for Peter, Paul and Mary. Perhaps Danielle will join forces with Plácido and Tom for the cover version?

• adina says:

I may have to seek medical attention.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Just like those poor folks at the Tannhäuser in Dusseldorf?????

• laddie says:

I imagine DD will sound something like this:

• Grane says:

Speaking of DDN, we may owe Natalie Dessay an apology. Looks like she just missed the one performance of GC.

And whoever it was who posted that weird rant when Dessay cancelled the one performance- ‘I told you all this would happen a year ago and you didn’t listen but I was right’ (but nastier and madder) probably should pop up to say something too, but since I can’t remember who it was there was, um, very little point in this post.

*slinks away*

• willym says:

Gosh maybe we should get together a record club like the Norman Lebrecht book club everyone was going on about earlier this week.

• m. croche says:

I’d pay good money for a Thomas Hampson -- Leon Redbone tribute album. Any chance we could get Hampson liquored up?

(at 4:40, Leon muses on the age of the castratos)

• Donna Anna says:

That would make one hell of a night club act, if Hampson allowed for a singalong.

Has anybody seen Baryshnikov dancing to Redbone’s Seduced? Unforgettable.

• papopera says:

Oh, I thought the worst news was that La Voigt would be indisposed for Saturday’s broadcast. No suck luck.

• Donna Anna says:

My first thought was who’s going to do Thank God I’m a Country Boy. Let Grigolo loose on that one. A friend of mine wrote a parody that went something along the lines of “…all this money, I can never be a loser. Thank God I’m a millionaire.”

• mjmacmtenor says:

This is like the classic version of opera singers going “pop” -- Lucia Poop and Renata von Trapp (AKA French and Saunders). Gotta love the Caballe wig!!