• La marquise de Merteuil: I just LURVE Netrebko’s approximatura … 4:36 AM
  • Archaeopteryx: LOL this site is wonderful and hilarious :D :D :D And yes, her name is truly diva-ish, given... 4:22 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: All those had sung Eva already years before and weren’t debuting the role! And at 55... 3:50 AM
  • Cicciabella: Thank you for posting this link, Oedipe. I’d read about this production but was not aware... 3:40 AM
  • ML: Let’s see how Petersen does … 3:00 AM
  • Cicciabella: In Turkish, Bora is a boy’s name, denoting strength and power. 2:44 AM
  • La Cieca: People here might think “the economy is bad and people don’t like opera anymore” are very... 2:36 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: I’ve just finished watching it. The parallel story with Els was poignant and brilliantly... 1:16 AM
  • Jack Jikes: Ivy – I’m a fan of your critiques – but – your enthusiasm for Soviet... 12:20 AM
  • Pia Ngere-Liu: And after all – is there a more diva like name than hers? Take a look at... 11:54 PM

… and now the worse news

A couple of tweets from Thomas Hampson detailing some grisly-sounding future projects, following the jump.

• adina says:

I may have to seek medical attention.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Just like those poor folks at the Tannhäuser in Dusseldorf?????

• laddie says:

I imagine DD will sound something like this:

• Grane says:

Speaking of DDN, we may owe Natalie Dessay an apology. Looks like she just missed the one performance of GC.

And whoever it was who posted that weird rant when Dessay cancelled the one performance- ‘I told you all this would happen a year ago and you didn’t listen but I was right’ (but nastier and madder) probably should pop up to say something too, but since I can’t remember who it was there was, um, very little point in this post.

*slinks away*

• willym says:

Gosh maybe we should get together a record club like the Norman Lebrecht book club everyone was going on about earlier this week.

• m. croche says:

I’d pay good money for a Thomas Hampson -- Leon Redbone tribute album. Any chance we could get Hampson liquored up?

(at 4:40, Leon muses on the age of the castratos)

• Donna Anna says:

That would make one hell of a night club act, if Hampson allowed for a singalong.

Has anybody seen Baryshnikov dancing to Redbone’s Seduced? Unforgettable.

• papopera says:

Oh, I thought the worst news was that La Voigt would be indisposed for Saturday’s broadcast. No suck luck.

• Donna Anna says:

My first thought was who’s going to do Thank God I’m a Country Boy. Let Grigolo loose on that one. A friend of mine wrote a parody that went something along the lines of “…all this money, I can never be a loser. Thank God I’m a millionaire.”

• mjmacmtenor says:

This is like the classic version of opera singers going “pop” -- Lucia Poop and Renata von Trapp (AKA French and Saunders). Gotta love the Caballe wig!!