• NPW-Paris: (From the “Budapesti OperettszínházR 21;, I mean). 10:48 PM
  • NPW-Paris: And there’s a great traditional restaurant just up the street and round the corner. Who... 10:46 PM
  • ducadiposa: Some might call this conservative staging or “tacky” ; but heck, it’s one of... 10:33 PM
  • m. croche: In her defense, it can’t be said that she’s given the matter a great deal of thought. 10:13 PM
  • fletcher: What is she talking about – how is it awful? I love the theatrical prologue. It’s... 10:07 PM
  • m. croche: IMHO, the most important thing about a singing translation of Bluebeard’s castle would be... 9:51 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: And as delicious as that is, according to Peter Bartók, the literal translation of that... 9:33 PM
  • m. croche: “Now at last you see before you Bluebeard’s Castle. Not a gay place like your... 8:24 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: That’s from the translation in which he has neuropathy! 8:22 PM
  • antikitschychick: Thank you for this review Ivy. I must say it was distressing to read your description of... 8:15 PM

… and now the worse news

A couple of tweets from Thomas Hampson detailing some grisly-sounding future projects, following the jump.

• adina says:

I may have to seek medical attention.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Just like those poor folks at the Tannhäuser in Dusseldorf?????

• laddie says:

I imagine DD will sound something like this:

• Grane says:

Speaking of DDN, we may owe Natalie Dessay an apology. Looks like she just missed the one performance of GC.

And whoever it was who posted that weird rant when Dessay cancelled the one performance- ‘I told you all this would happen a year ago and you didn’t listen but I was right’ (but nastier and madder) probably should pop up to say something too, but since I can’t remember who it was there was, um, very little point in this post.

*slinks away*

• willym says:

Gosh maybe we should get together a record club like the Norman Lebrecht book club everyone was going on about earlier this week.

• m. croche says:

I’d pay good money for a Thomas Hampson -- Leon Redbone tribute album. Any chance we could get Hampson liquored up?

(at 4:40, Leon muses on the age of the castratos)

• Donna Anna says:

That would make one hell of a night club act, if Hampson allowed for a singalong.

Has anybody seen Baryshnikov dancing to Redbone’s Seduced? Unforgettable.

• papopera says:

Oh, I thought the worst news was that La Voigt would be indisposed for Saturday’s broadcast. No suck luck.

• Donna Anna says:

My first thought was who’s going to do Thank God I’m a Country Boy. Let Grigolo loose on that one. A friend of mine wrote a parody that went something along the lines of “…all this money, I can never be a loser. Thank God I’m a millionaire.”

• mjmacmtenor says:

This is like the classic version of opera singers going “pop” -- Lucia Poop and Renata von Trapp (AKA French and Saunders). Gotta love the Caballe wig!!