• Cicciabella: Oh, I see. You were joking. Obviously I’m no good deprived of sleep. 9:27 AM
  • warmke: Well said. It’s been amazing the degree of risk one has felt by simply stating that one... 9:21 AM
  • Bill: Quanto – One is taken with the beauty of the score of much of Euryanthe as seen in the first... 9:17 AM
  • Cicciabella: Sounds like something Marschner would write. Any forgotten opera experts who can link Marschner... 9:13 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Born on this day in 1848 composer Robert Planquette httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=E... 8:58 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Here the whole Forza with Kaufmann for those who couldn’t see the ARTE transmission.... 8:31 AM
  • Archaeopteryx: She doesn’t sound more out of tune than Netrebko on an average basis, except the fact... 8:29 AM
  • Archaeopteryx: Oh yes and Vaccai’s “Giovanna Gray”, which is a stunning piece and which has... 8:24 AM
  • Archaeopteryx: Hutrah re 2). More obscure belcanto please!! The operas you list all sound wonderful but I... 8:21 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: Nice. Option B: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=6Hh- i6pRo9g 8:17 AM

Bottle of angels

Our Own M. Croche (not pictured, presumably) has an idea to pitch to the Royal Opera’s advertising department, something that “aims to bottle that feeling of being fully committed and lost”.

Magnifique, M.Croche, and still more obscure than the original Chanel ad (and doesn’t Brad look scraggy?). But, and excuse my pedantry, it’s **la** mort.

… unless you meant ‘the dead man’ as opposed to ‘death’, but I suspect not.

• antikitschychick says:

Loved it!!great job M.Croche :-D …I suspect if an Opera company could per$uade Brad Pitt to shoot an ad for one of their performances/seasons, all that prosaic “Opera is dead/dying” talk would disappear for good!

Brad Pitt will direct a new production of Der Rosenkavalier in South Africa

• Batty Masetto says:

I’ll have to remember that final recommendation next time I’m out of Jack Daniels.

• louannd says:

Wonderful, m.croche. Now, how would design a reality show to find “The Voice, opera edition?”

• ianw2 says:

ENO did do a ‘guy off the street’ opera series about eight years ago- it was done with a surprising amount of taste and care. They ended up with dual winners who each got a night doing Gilda. What was nice was that the judges were a) not random popera celebrities but the vocal and musical staff of ENO and b) weren’t trying to be cruel to make good TV.

However, not at all surprisingly, despite both winners then quitting their day jobs neither have been heard from since. One of them couldn’t seem to understand that one night of Gilda after a tv competition wasn’t translating into further offers, and there was a particularly cruel (but realistic) edit of her then singing at some awful outdoor country fair in the rain with an ensemble with the flattest string section I’ve heard scratching out the opening to Porgi Amor.

• ianw2 says:

Actually, from memory one of the finalists- a mezzo, I think- did manage to carve out a bit of a full-time career in the smaller UK houses which isn’t bad for someone in their early 30s who had been working as an accountant.

What happened to the girl with the alarmingly deep voice who sang Nessun dorma at her audition? (I only watched a bit of Operatunity -- I guess one of things in its favour was that it was before the world had really heard of a certain tousled tenor Muppet, so he didn’t join the judging panel on that occasion).

• ianw2 says:

Oh yes I remember her! They gave her Mrs Sedley’s aria to work on.

I think her voice was, sadly, beyond repair for an opera career. Too long singing in smoky pubs in a part of her voice that wasn’t suited for it. Pity, I love those boomy low female voices.

Maybe she could have been the new Zarah Leander (without the dodgy political record).

Makes me glad to use Chanel Beige.

I wonder how many $$$$$$$$ or €€€€€££££££¥¥¥¥¥ they paid The Dude to do this cringingly embarrassing thing? I had seen the ads when going past perfume counters, but never this, until now.

Lotta mouths to feed, I guess.