• leonora3: About 15 years ago I saw Neil Shicoff at opening season singing Eleazar with Soila Isokovski as Rachel in La Juive in Staatsoper... 4:12 PM
  • manou: Was a grassy knoll involved? 4:12 PM
  • m. croche: I knew a guy who thought that Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1844?) faked his own death. 4:06 PM
  • armerjacquino: Shicoff is a very important part of the near-perfect ensemble on the old ROH video of BOHEME- with Cotrubas and Allen, and... 3:29 PM
  • armerjacquino: “and the way Ricciarelli probably would have had she sung the role” Unfair, I think. In her prime, she... 3:18 PM
  • PCally: I was listening to Sinopoli for the first time recently and I had a pretty mixed response. I’m a fan of the conducting... 2:46 PM
  • armerjacquino: There is some truly fantastic singing on the Gardelli recording, even if it’s not dramatically the most riveting... 2:20 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=pSVy YtwI9F8 I went to Bolena for Galvany..Suddenly this great (former) mezzo opens her mouth and... 2:13 PM

The wayward bustle

It’s that time of the week (again?) when the parterriat discuss off-topic, general interest and impressionistic subjects.

• 61
    zinka says:

When young naive Charlie heard this, he could not even think of what might be going on on the floor of standing room…Who needed THAT when we had THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 62
    zinka says:

httpv:www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9EBXGnGe8A

A PIRATED PIRATA with Aprile…Happy birthday again!!!!!!

• 63
    zinka says:

Hope this one comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 64
    zinka says:

…and he is NOT souped up!!TRUSTEZ-MOI!!!!!!

• 65
    zinka says:

Can we recall a recent period where suddenly all these “new’ tenors came on to the scene???This is really amazing.I find myself going to the Met sometimes “just for the tenor,” the way i used to go “just for Zinka.”
    Yes,we had Tucker and Bergonzi and Corelli,etc..but we also had a lot of YUCCCHY 76th rate tenors.
    This era is a revelation to my ears.

• 66
    zinka says:

Listen to this and look at next season’s JOKE of a Chenier cast!!!!!

• 67
    Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

The death of Sir Colin Davis is being reported.

• 68
    zinka says:

Listen VERY carefully as at the end of the scene the prompter gives Leonie the cues to blow out the candles..”Ein..Zwei…Drei”….Brava!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 68.1
      Quanto Painy Fakor says:

The prompter at the old MET is not counting for Rysanek to “blow out the candles,” but cuing the moments for her to PLACE them, and then he also warns her for her sudden reaction to the backstage drum roll. Earlier, after the Vissi d’arte and right before the long ovation, he also says “Brava” to Leonie. This is one of the best MET Wire recordings ever (but I’d probably say that about the others too).