• La Valkyrietta: manou, Yes, a danger. Anyway, originally on Broadway the lyrics went, “If she is... 1:23 PM
  • Grane: PS–congratul ations, Sanford! 1:14 PM
  • Grane: So did anyone hear Anna in Four Last Songs? I love her voice and her commitment, but I do think you... 1:14 PM
  • manou: Much as I enjoyed the return of the prodigal marshie, I am now worried because sleeping in all those... 1:07 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: “If she is wearing silk and satin she can flatten any Latin…” ;... 1:03 PM
  • kashania: I was quite impressed by Sancho Panza’s aria when I heard Quinn Kelsey sing it in Toronto. I... 12:58 PM
  • kashania: I foresee a Netrebko/Kaufmann/ Garanca Aida either in Vienna or Salzburg within the next 5-6 years. 12:56 PM
  • DellaCasaFan: I’ve been on my Bruna Rasa trip since last night, Mascagni’s favorite Santuzza for... 11:18 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: She also will be doing Eboli at BSO. 11:17 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: She’s doing Santuzza this coming season, which I imagine is a first step in the... 11:01 AM

The wayward bustle

It’s that time of the week (again?) when the parterriat discuss off-topic, general interest and impressionistic subjects.

• zinka says:

When young naive Charlie heard this, he could not even think of what might be going on on the floor of standing room…Who needed THAT when we had THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• zinka says:

httpv:www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9EBXGnGe8A

A PIRATED PIRATA with Aprile…Happy birthday again!!!!!!

• zinka says:

Hope this one comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• zinka says:

…and he is NOT souped up!!TRUSTEZ-MOI!!!!!!

• zinka says:

Can we recall a recent period where suddenly all these “new’ tenors came on to the scene???This is really amazing.I find myself going to the Met sometimes “just for the tenor,” the way i used to go “just for Zinka.”
    Yes,we had Tucker and Bergonzi and Corelli,etc..but we also had a lot of YUCCCHY 76th rate tenors.
    This era is a revelation to my ears.

• zinka says:

Listen to this and look at next season’s JOKE of a Chenier cast!!!!!

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

The death of Sir Colin Davis is being reported.

• zinka says:

Listen VERY carefully as at the end of the scene the prompter gives Leonie the cues to blow out the candles..”Ein..Zwei…Drei”….Brava!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The prompter at the old MET is not counting for Rysanek to “blow out the candles,” but cuing the moments for her to PLACE them, and then he also warns her for her sudden reaction to the backstage drum roll. Earlier, after the Vissi d’arte and right before the long ovation, he also says “Brava” to Leonie. This is one of the best MET Wire recordings ever (but I’d probably say that about the others too).