• NPW-Paris: I have it tonight. I avoid premières. 1:39 AM
  • DharmaBray: I guess time is running out for the fabled opera of En attendant Godot Boulez was supposed to be... 12:36 AM
  • vilbastarda: Mea culpa Krunoslav! I promise to never speak on rumors alone again, before doing my own... 12:26 AM
  • Phantom Violist: Wow, delighted to see LHO still on top of their game. I played in the pit as an undergrad,... 12:00 AM
  • DharmaBray: Episode 4 of Opera Australia’s Opera on the Harbour brings us a comic book Aida, complete... 11:48 PM
  • Satisfied: Russian…Russ ian…everywhe re a Putin Russian. 10:40 PM
  • Poison Ivy: well in other news it seems as if a regie production of Tannhauser got an impresario sacked in... 9:49 PM
  • Ilka Saro: Thanks to Buster for the ID on Conley, and to all the other folks for quite an interesting read on... 9:48 PM
  • Cicciabella: How obliging of Jonas Kaufmann to warn us about these (Southern) Italian men who suddenly... 8:54 PM
  • SF Guy: I hereby amend the next-to-last sentence of my post as follows: “In addition to several Puccini... 8:36 PM

What becomes two legends most?

On the final night of her farewell engagement at the Café Carlyle, cabaret legend Elaine Stritch took a few questions from the audience. Naturally, she insisted on introducing each of the celebrities in attendance, including an operatic icon who’s one of her most ardent fans.

• eric says:

I couldn’t hear the audio well enough to know who she was talking about.

• Will says:

She addressed him as James and told the audience he’d been ill for a while but was now coming back. Since I knew Jimmy Levine loved her and her work, I realized he was the James to whom she was referring.

• La Cieca says:

“She somehow goes past the formula versions of what she does, and therefore, her results are unique,” said James Levine, the music director of the Metropolitan Opera, who is such a fan of Ms. Stritch’s that he saw “Elaine Stritch at Liberty” a dozen times and cleared his schedule to attend her Carlyle shows last week. “Even though she has characteristics that are shared by other great performers, the whole way that personality is put together seems unique.” [New York Times]

Maestro Jimmy takes great inspiration from her iconic hit “I’m still here!”

• willym says:

Just thinking it would be nice to see one posting go by without snark or vitriol.

• messa di voce says:

It was also reported that Levine was there opening night.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Don’t forget that Tony got some special folks to appear on The Odd Couple, namely Richard Fredricks, Jackie Horne and Martina Arroyo.

• blanchette says:

you probably all know this, but Levine cancelled his May 20 Carnegie HAll concert, which worries me. I’m glad at least he is out and about.