• armerjacquino: 10? There have only been six, silly. 3:51 PM
  • la vociaccia: I wasn’t really debating which singer deserves to be hired more. I just wanted to point out that while Dasch has... 3:49 PM
  • PCally: Good for you I guess. I for one wish the powers that be at the met had hired herlitzius instead of stemme for the upcoming... 3:46 PM
  • oscar: Well I think Harteros is a boring singer and Herlitzius has the ugliest voice I’ve ever heard. Nah nah na na. 3:31 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: ‘ Racette was a great singer and actress,’. A great singer? Sorry no dice. A great singer if we just leave it... 3:20 PM
  • PCally: Well I find dasch to be a considerable superior actress and the timbre is certainly more appealing than current racette. Of course... 3:18 PM
  • la vociaccia: You simply can’t put Racette and Dasch in the same sentence. In her prime Racette was a great singer and actress, and... 3:08 PM
  • armerjacquino: Sorry Ivy that first Racette should have been Magee In that case, FM, are we to take it that your sentence should have read... 2:31 PM

What becomes two legends most?

On the final night of her farewell engagement at the Café Carlyle, cabaret legend Elaine Stritch took a few questions from the audience. Naturally, she insisted on introducing each of the celebrities in attendance, including an operatic icon who’s one of her most ardent fans.

• eric says:

I couldn’t hear the audio well enough to know who she was talking about.

• Will says:

She addressed him as James and told the audience he’d been ill for a while but was now coming back. Since I knew Jimmy Levine loved her and her work, I realized he was the James to whom she was referring.

• La Cieca says:

“She somehow goes past the formula versions of what she does, and therefore, her results are unique,” said James Levine, the music director of the Metropolitan Opera, who is such a fan of Ms. Stritch’s that he saw “Elaine Stritch at Liberty” a dozen times and cleared his schedule to attend her Carlyle shows last week. “Even though she has characteristics that are shared by other great performers, the whole way that personality is put together seems unique.” [New York Times]

Maestro Jimmy takes great inspiration from her iconic hit “I’m still here!”

• willym says:

Just thinking it would be nice to see one posting go by without snark or vitriol.

• messa di voce says:

It was also reported that Levine was there opening night.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Don’t forget that Tony got some special folks to appear on The Odd Couple, namely Richard Fredricks, Jackie Horne and Martina Arroyo.

• blanchette says:

you probably all know this, but Levine cancelled his May 20 Carnegie HAll concert, which worries me. I’m glad at least he is out and about.