• Cicciabella: *encourage, instead of COUTting them off 3:59 AM
  • Cicciabella: Bravo, Mr Gutman! Way to encoutage young people to choose a career path in the arts. 3:32 AM
  • La Cieca: And when I was born the most popular film of the year was White Christmas. What’s your point? Attendance at the Met has... 2:11 AM
  • erricco: That was an outstanding production…& #8230;…and Ottawa had many others in those years 12:34 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: On the other side of town an old man is screaming for Stella by starlight httpv://www.youtub 12:23 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Looks like Roberto is feeling chipper for the second Vasco da Gama (lots more out there) httpv:// 12:15 AM
  • Bill: Bronzino – yes when I was young and my great aunt had 4 subscription tickets for every Met matinee in the first row of the... 11:43 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Here it is! httpv://www.youtub i7_aW3I httpv://www.youtub ZSTjYUs 11:32 PM

What becomes two legends most?

On the final night of her farewell engagement at the Café Carlyle, cabaret legend Elaine Stritch took a few questions from the audience. Naturally, she insisted on introducing each of the celebrities in attendance, including an operatic icon who’s one of her most ardent fans.

• eric says:

I couldn’t hear the audio well enough to know who she was talking about.

• Will says:

She addressed him as James and told the audience he’d been ill for a while but was now coming back. Since I knew Jimmy Levine loved her and her work, I realized he was the James to whom she was referring.

• La Cieca says:

“She somehow goes past the formula versions of what she does, and therefore, her results are unique,” said James Levine, the music director of the Metropolitan Opera, who is such a fan of Ms. Stritch’s that he saw “Elaine Stritch at Liberty” a dozen times and cleared his schedule to attend her Carlyle shows last week. “Even though she has characteristics that are shared by other great performers, the whole way that personality is put together seems unique.” [New York Times]

Maestro Jimmy takes great inspiration from her iconic hit “I’m still here!”

• willym says:

Just thinking it would be nice to see one posting go by without snark or vitriol.

• messa di voce says:

It was also reported that Levine was there opening night.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Don’t forget that Tony got some special folks to appear on The Odd Couple, namely Richard Fredricks, Jackie Horne and Martina Arroyo.

• blanchette says:

you probably all know this, but Levine cancelled his May 20 Carnegie HAll concert, which worries me. I’m glad at least he is out and about.