• Camille: Caro Cocky K.— That would indeed make me very happy as -for some peculiar reason- perhaps based upon your unusual degree of... 7:19 PM
  • phoenix: Interesting sub-sub-thread. I also liked Plowright – she had her mannerisms but I still found her interpretations quite... 7:15 PM
  • phoenix: I saw Rossini’s L’italiana in Algieri at Cooperstown many years ago and it was very well done & entertaining... 6:58 PM
  • Porgy Amor: Cocky, I did not think the Principessa was a good fit for Larsson in the premiere run as seen on the DVD release either. The... 6:46 PM
  • Camille: Uh huh, phoenix. You are sounding just like me now, kvetching about the kvetching tourists. No me gusta, Papì! I just want to see... 6:43 PM
  • Cicciabella: Haroutounian has been tweeting about how she’s ready for Norma. She’s clearly applying for the job and will say... 6:39 PM
  • phoenix: Camille, Cooperstown is a vacation place: do you want to go to Cooperstown to see Rachele Gilmore in La Gazza Ladra? If so, you... 6:30 PM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: I’m not sure I agree she’s a natural for the spinto repertoire. Certainly she has the top of a spinto, but the... 6:01 PM

What becomes two legends most?

On the final night of her farewell engagement at the Café Carlyle, cabaret legend Elaine Stritch took a few questions from the audience. Naturally, she insisted on introducing each of the celebrities in attendance, including an operatic icon who’s one of her most ardent fans.

• 1
    eric says:

I couldn’t hear the audio well enough to know who she was talking about.

• 2
    Will says:

She addressed him as James and told the audience he’d been ill for a while but was now coming back. Since I knew Jimmy Levine loved her and her work, I realized he was the James to whom she was referring.

• 3
    La Cieca says:

“She somehow goes past the formula versions of what she does, and therefore, her results are unique,” said James Levine, the music director of the Metropolitan Opera, who is such a fan of Ms. Stritch’s that he saw “Elaine Stritch at Liberty” a dozen times and cleared his schedule to attend her Carlyle shows last week. “Even though she has characteristics that are shared by other great performers, the whole way that personality is put together seems unique.” [New York Times]

• 4
    kashania says:

Maestro Jimmy takes great inspiration from her iconic hit “I’m still here!”

• 5
    willym says:

Just thinking it would be nice to see one posting go by without snark or vitriol.

• 6
    messa di voce says:

It was also reported that Levine was there opening night.

• 7
    WindyCityOperaman says:

Don’t forget that Tony got some special folks to appear on The Odd Couple, namely Richard Fredricks, Jackie Horne and Martina Arroyo.

• 8
    blanchette says:

you probably all know this, but Levine cancelled his May 20 Carnegie HAll concert, which worries me. I’m glad at least he is out and about.