• Clita del Toro: PS “RobertoR 21; I saw a number of Tebaldi’s Toscas between 1956 and 1958,... 2:00 PM
  • robertovillalba: I never saw a person to be insulted by his arguments, and knowledge about singing, is this a... 1:59 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: What a punim! Makes Gelb look downright viral. 1:50 PM
  • Clita del Toro: “RobertoR 21;, go back to opera-l. where you bore everyone to tears. I guess you are... 1:50 PM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: She’s their go-to girl when a major diva cancels, or she gets double cast alongside the... 1:43 PM
  • robertovillalba: I do not know how to answer is this Clita del Toro , you are well? Yes indeed, for me the... 1:39 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well the production deserves to be filmed with this cast especially. 1:39 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I hope the Cenerentola was filmed and the Favorite will eventually become a recording. I have... 1:30 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I have no idea. But also I think the Verona casts are like whittled down to so-so singers because... 1:28 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well those performances suit a purpose to provide entertainment for the tourists but like... 1:14 PM

What becomes two legends most?

On the final night of her farewell engagement at the Café Carlyle, cabaret legend Elaine Stritch took a few questions from the audience. Naturally, she insisted on introducing each of the celebrities in attendance, including an operatic icon who’s one of her most ardent fans.

• eric says:

I couldn’t hear the audio well enough to know who she was talking about.

• Will says:

She addressed him as James and told the audience he’d been ill for a while but was now coming back. Since I knew Jimmy Levine loved her and her work, I realized he was the James to whom she was referring.

• La Cieca says:

“She somehow goes past the formula versions of what she does, and therefore, her results are unique,” said James Levine, the music director of the Metropolitan Opera, who is such a fan of Ms. Stritch’s that he saw “Elaine Stritch at Liberty” a dozen times and cleared his schedule to attend her Carlyle shows last week. “Even though she has characteristics that are shared by other great performers, the whole way that personality is put together seems unique.” [New York Times]

Maestro Jimmy takes great inspiration from her iconic hit “I’m still here!”

• willym says:

Just thinking it would be nice to see one posting go by without snark or vitriol.

• messa di voce says:

It was also reported that Levine was there opening night.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Don’t forget that Tony got some special folks to appear on The Odd Couple, namely Richard Fredricks, Jackie Horne and Martina Arroyo.

• blanchette says:

you probably all know this, but Levine cancelled his May 20 Carnegie HAll concert, which worries me. I’m glad at least he is out and about.