• kashania: The more opera lovers up here, the better! :) 6:12 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Did he say that? Interesting. It may hold a clue to my own reactions to Bellini. 6:06 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Opolais will sing Nov 21, Dec 7 and 10 5:34 PM
  • Niel Rishoi: Well you know Bellini once said “Opera, through singing, must make one weep, shudder and die.” So I have an... 5:20 PM
  • Signor Bruschino: Netrebko pulling out of 3 of the Manon Lescauts this fall- Opolais taking over as replacement the Met announced today 5:17 PM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: leosweill. . .and no voice. At this point Mme G is pure (?) camp! 4:50 PM
  • antikitschychick: LOL Grubexit. Mot du jour and wit du jour! And no worries I knew you were joking and I was too. 4:35 PM
  • Niel Rishoi: Aww…anti I just got carried away. I saw the offending clip that is causing a fervent wish for a Grubexit̷... 4:07 PM

What becomes two legends most?

On the final night of her farewell engagement at the Café Carlyle, cabaret legend Elaine Stritch took a few questions from the audience. Naturally, she insisted on introducing each of the celebrities in attendance, including an operatic icon who’s one of her most ardent fans.

• 1
    eric says:

I couldn’t hear the audio well enough to know who she was talking about.

• 2
    Will says:

She addressed him as James and told the audience he’d been ill for a while but was now coming back. Since I knew Jimmy Levine loved her and her work, I realized he was the James to whom she was referring.

• 3
    La Cieca says:

“She somehow goes past the formula versions of what she does, and therefore, her results are unique,” said James Levine, the music director of the Metropolitan Opera, who is such a fan of Ms. Stritch’s that he saw “Elaine Stritch at Liberty” a dozen times and cleared his schedule to attend her Carlyle shows last week. “Even though she has characteristics that are shared by other great performers, the whole way that personality is put together seems unique.” [New York Times]

• 4
    kashania says:

Maestro Jimmy takes great inspiration from her iconic hit “I’m still here!”

• 5
    willym says:

Just thinking it would be nice to see one posting go by without snark or vitriol.

• 6
    messa di voce says:

It was also reported that Levine was there opening night.

• 7
    WindyCityOperaman says:

Don’t forget that Tony got some special folks to appear on The Odd Couple, namely Richard Fredricks, Jackie Horne and Martina Arroyo.

• 8
    blanchette says:

you probably all know this, but Levine cancelled his May 20 Carnegie HAll concert, which worries me. I’m glad at least he is out and about.