• manou: Do you mean “clarté̶ 1;? 5:47 AM
  • NPW-Paris: And on the very same day, February 6 2016 in Amsterdam, Ann Hallenberg sings “Come invano il mare irato” from... 5:11 AM
  • overstimmelated: I’ve also hoped this would turn up someday – haven’t had chance to tackle it yet. Any idea why the late... 4:19 AM
  • Cicciabella: Although the costume is not pretty, it’s not meant to be, and I think it needs to be evaluated in context. It’s a... 3:55 AM
  • Clivia: Great review! I saw this production Friday night and agree that Vinke has endless stamina and is a good actor. He got laughs. He... 2:17 AM
  • LT: Can someone explain Beczala’s French pronunciation? Contempler becomes contempli, eclarte’ becomes eclarti. Sounds bad! 11:53 PM
  • antikitschychick: sorry last season’s new production of Figaro. 10:31 PM
  • antikitschychick: finished watching this year’s Tucker gala online. Kudos to aulus agerius for pointing out it was up on the Live... 10:30 PM

What becomes two legends most?

On the final night of her farewell engagement at the Café Carlyle, cabaret legend Elaine Stritch took a few questions from the audience. Naturally, she insisted on introducing each of the celebrities in attendance, including an operatic icon who’s one of her most ardent fans.

• eric says:

I couldn’t hear the audio well enough to know who she was talking about.

• Will says:

She addressed him as James and told the audience he’d been ill for a while but was now coming back. Since I knew Jimmy Levine loved her and her work, I realized he was the James to whom she was referring.

• La Cieca says:

“She somehow goes past the formula versions of what she does, and therefore, her results are unique,” said James Levine, the music director of the Metropolitan Opera, who is such a fan of Ms. Stritch’s that he saw “Elaine Stritch at Liberty” a dozen times and cleared his schedule to attend her Carlyle shows last week. “Even though she has characteristics that are shared by other great performers, the whole way that personality is put together seems unique.” [New York Times]

Maestro Jimmy takes great inspiration from her iconic hit “I’m still here!”

• willym says:

Just thinking it would be nice to see one posting go by without snark or vitriol.

• messa di voce says:

It was also reported that Levine was there opening night.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Don’t forget that Tony got some special folks to appear on The Odd Couple, namely Richard Fredricks, Jackie Horne and Martina Arroyo.

• blanchette says:

you probably all know this, but Levine cancelled his May 20 Carnegie HAll concert, which worries me. I’m glad at least he is out and about.