• Gualtier M: PTSD I meant. 4:27 PM
  • Gualtier M: BTW: for those alarmed by William Burden’s leg brace and limp in the online videos –... 4:26 PM
  • DellaCasaFan: kashania says: “As for sharing financial data, I wonder what the nature of the request... 4:22 PM
  • ML: Chevron soon forgot! 4:13 PM
  • messa di voce: Thanks for the review and recording recommendations. I love the Weber operas. In spite of a... 4:11 PM
  • La Cieca: How would you like to be donating large sums of money whose management were worried that it might... 4:10 PM
  • liza: Haha! Well not exactly. I just find it irritating that he is using bankruptcy as part of a media... 4:01 PM
  • La Cieca: I think everyone here has at long last come to the conclusion that Grim’s ideas mostly issue... 3:58 PM
  • tiger1: I think the powers that be probably thought it would be a better run at the Salzburg Festspiele just... 3:51 PM
  • Jim: to the trite and uninformed comments of rysanekfreak, what does FoxNews have to do with this? Besides,... 3:43 PM

What becomes two legends most?

On the final night of her farewell engagement at the Café Carlyle, cabaret legend Elaine Stritch took a few questions from the audience. Naturally, she insisted on introducing each of the celebrities in attendance, including an operatic icon who’s one of her most ardent fans.

• eric says:

I couldn’t hear the audio well enough to know who she was talking about.

• Will says:

She addressed him as James and told the audience he’d been ill for a while but was now coming back. Since I knew Jimmy Levine loved her and her work, I realized he was the James to whom she was referring.

• La Cieca says:

“She somehow goes past the formula versions of what she does, and therefore, her results are unique,” said James Levine, the music director of the Metropolitan Opera, who is such a fan of Ms. Stritch’s that he saw “Elaine Stritch at Liberty” a dozen times and cleared his schedule to attend her Carlyle shows last week. “Even though she has characteristics that are shared by other great performers, the whole way that personality is put together seems unique.” [New York Times]

Maestro Jimmy takes great inspiration from her iconic hit “I’m still here!”

• willym says:

Just thinking it would be nice to see one posting go by without snark or vitriol.

• messa di voce says:

It was also reported that Levine was there opening night.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Don’t forget that Tony got some special folks to appear on The Odd Couple, namely Richard Fredricks, Jackie Horne and Martina Arroyo.

• blanchette says:

you probably all know this, but Levine cancelled his May 20 Carnegie HAll concert, which worries me. I’m glad at least he is out and about.