• guy pacifica: That’s fantastic singing — thank you for including it. 12:40 AM
  • stevey: +1 10:49 PM
  • la vociaccia: She also has her worst tuning problems when she has to sing high notes that aren’t approached stepwise. Her soprano 2... 10:44 PM
  • JackJack: I strongly disagree about the Immolation Scene. I thought it was clearly the best part of the night. Her voice had warmed up... 8:16 PM
  • Porgy Amor: Signor Bruschino, my perception of the Met as an organization re: Levine is a little different. With the promotion of the HDs... 8:15 PM
  • Alex Baker: Goerke should definitely commemorate next April 1 with a Facebook missive describing how she is withdrawing from all current... 8:13 PM
  • Signor Bruschino: wow- ok, LaCieca, but I have actually in my years of posting given both sides of the argument. There is no question that... 8:01 PM
  • williams: Goerke is a mixed bag. Some thrilling moments but her voice, to my ears, curdles above the staff. That said there are few... 7:49 PM

What becomes two legends most?

On the final night of her farewell engagement at the Café Carlyle, cabaret legend Elaine Stritch took a few questions from the audience. Naturally, she insisted on introducing each of the celebrities in attendance, including an operatic icon who’s one of her most ardent fans.

• 1
    eric says:

I couldn’t hear the audio well enough to know who she was talking about.

• 2
    Will says:

She addressed him as James and told the audience he’d been ill for a while but was now coming back. Since I knew Jimmy Levine loved her and her work, I realized he was the James to whom she was referring.

• 3
    La Cieca says:

“She somehow goes past the formula versions of what she does, and therefore, her results are unique,” said James Levine, the music director of the Metropolitan Opera, who is such a fan of Ms. Stritch’s that he saw “Elaine Stritch at Liberty” a dozen times and cleared his schedule to attend her Carlyle shows last week. “Even though she has characteristics that are shared by other great performers, the whole way that personality is put together seems unique.” [New York Times]

• 4
    kashania says:

Maestro Jimmy takes great inspiration from her iconic hit “I’m still here!”

• 5
    willym says:

Just thinking it would be nice to see one posting go by without snark or vitriol.

• 6
    messa di voce says:

It was also reported that Levine was there opening night.

• 7
    WindyCityOperaman says:

Don’t forget that Tony got some special folks to appear on The Odd Couple, namely Richard Fredricks, Jackie Horne and Martina Arroyo.

• 8
    blanchette says:

you probably all know this, but Levine cancelled his May 20 Carnegie HAll concert, which worries me. I’m glad at least he is out and about.