• "OI VEY….I sang Schlemil…2 versions (One w.Ramey)…..T YPE-CASTING??? I..." - zinka
  • "and then came 2004. . ." - parpignol
  • "Reinhardt is quite tall and lanky, so at least the contrast of tall boy and..." - A. Poggia Turra
  • "How about for 2017, Bartoli tackling another, more age-appropriate B’way..." - Krunoslav
  • "You’re leaving out the best part- It is being directed by Phil..." - Signor Bruschino
  • "Was just thinking about Bubbles yesterday, and how she described (for a..." - DonCarloFanatic
  • "Long time since Netrebko has sung at the ROH but her Mimi last night was truly..." - Resistopiu
  • "Ilva Ligabue is not around to celebrate her birthday… she died in 1998" - moi

Happy Birthday Magda Olivero

The fabled verista celebrates the 103rd anniversary of her birth today.

• arepo says:

I found the private clip above 10 years ago on E-bay. Some fool sold it to me for around $40. I would have paid $400.
    I never showed it to anyone nor did I copy it for years. One day I decided to gift several opera friends with copies.
    The rest is history.
    There will never be another soprano that will touch my heart the way Magda has. Her letters to me and her signed pictures will ever remain special in my home.
    Bless her and may she continue hanging in there.

• zinka says:

She was out today..I think singing Adriana…..

I will call tomorrow and tell you what she said..she so much appreciates all your love and remembrances…CH

• zinka says:

I saw Magda around 1972 in Newark as Fedora….When she uttered,”Loris..Ove sei??” the chills ran up and down our collective spines..There will never be another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another rarity! “a tu per tu” with Madga

• Constantine A. Papas says:

Happy birthday, Magda, the Queen of the 20th century verismo. I saw and met her, when she sang Tosca with the touring Met. Her physique was slight but her voice color and timbre, even at 69, were miraculous. Both, her Scarpia- Glossop, and Caravadossi- Pavarotti, are dead but she’s still alive. Another miracle!

• zinka says:

She is only 69..Imagine that at 83 from Spain she could still sing the Lescaut FULL VOICE….Do we know ANY OTHER SINGER like this????/

• arepo says:

There will never be the likes of Magda Olivero in the opera world again.
    She stands alone in greatness. A phenomenon at the age of 103.