• gustave of montreal: The lady Sarah Fox has a beautiful voice. What’s she doing with that ham Wainwright. 5:26 PM
  • armerjacquino: …Franco Zeffirelli is nowhere near as good at it as he thinks… 4:23 PM
  • Porgy Amor: …when you try to take risks and be innovative, people are likely to whine that they want the beautiful old production... 4:22 PM
  • armerjacquino: ….and doing it in a public restroom is inconsiderate to other users. 4:19 PM
  • armerjacquino: …and people keep telling you it was much better 50 years ago. 4:17 PM
  • Batty Masetto: … and sometimes there’s not enough to give satisfaction, and sometimes there’s too much to handle. 4:15 PM
  • Porgy Amor: Nah. …nothing compares to the in-person experience, but if that’s impossible, a good video is better than nothing. 4:15 PM
  • antikitschychick: LOL ya’ll are too much! I would add that it’s important to be generous…eve ryone loves an artist who... 4:15 PM

Happy Birthday Magda Olivero

The fabled verista celebrates the 103rd anniversary of her birth today.

Tantissimi auguri, egregia ed amatissima DIVA !!!! Sempre la più bella delle belle!

From Loreley, by Catalani. Others tey to sing it but no one succeeds as does she. One of my favorite of all things which la Olivero sings.

And this, which I have had so much in mind as of late:

Tantissimi Auguri, amata Signora Olivero. Noi siamo tuttiquanti così grati per la Sua grandissima e bella vita. Grazie, grazie, ed ancora e sempre grazie.

• Ruxxy says:

How right you are Camille -- this clip is extraordinary.

• Bluevicks says:

Everything that signora Olivero sang was full of grace. No one had or will ever have such a youthful vibrancy.

I’m infinitely grateful for all the recordings she has left behind.

Tantissimi Auguri indeed.

Finale of Adriana Lecouvreur

• La Valkyrietta says:

Happy birthday Magda Olivero.

• Ilka Saro says:

Happy birthday to one of the GREATS!

From the studio recording of Turandot from 1938 with Cigna. At 1h 34 mins begins the scene with “Tanto amore segreto”. Even more than Liu’s two famous arias, Olivero is fascinating in this monologue, moving back and forth between the demure, almost colorless tone of the Liu who will hide everything, and the full voiced cries of a Liu in love.

Thanks for this Turandot. This Liu is probably the earliest recording of hers that I’ve heard. Everything I usually hear from Olivero comes post 1959 Adriana.

“Poveri fiori”

• My most prized possession,an original Casa Sozogno score of Adriana signed by Madame Oliver. She signed it for me after her last carnegie hall concert:

OIMDOC: O. M. G.!!!!!!! “Quanto, il prezzo???”

You lucky Dawg, you!!!!!!! I don’t suppose I could interest you in swapping for my signed by Mirella Freni green Sonzogno score dating from the seventies, could I????

Beato Lei! Your devotion has earned you such a prize, no doubt.

Green with invidia–

• papopera says:

She has surpassed Elizabeth the Queen Mother (102) but not Rose Fitzgerald-Kennedy (105), auguri maestra.

Long video tribute:
    Part 1

Part 2

• arepo says:

I found the private clip above 10 years ago on E-bay. Some fool sold it to me for around $40. I would have paid $400.
    I never showed it to anyone nor did I copy it for years. One day I decided to gift several opera friends with copies.
    The rest is history.
    There will never be another soprano that will touch my heart the way Magda has. Her letters to me and her signed pictures will ever remain special in my home.
    Bless her and may she continue hanging in there.

• zinka says:

She was out today..I think singing Adriana…..

I will call tomorrow and tell you what she said..she so much appreciates all your love and remembrances…CH

• zinka says:

I saw Magda around 1972 in Newark as Fedora….When she uttered,”Loris..Ove sei??” the chills ran up and down our collective spines..There will never be another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another rarity! “a tu per tu” with Madga

• Constantine A. Papas says:

Happy birthday, Magda, the Queen of the 20th century verismo. I saw and met her, when she sang Tosca with the touring Met. Her physique was slight but her voice color and timbre, even at 69, were miraculous. Both, her Scarpia- Glossop, and Caravadossi- Pavarotti, are dead but she’s still alive. Another miracle!

• zinka says:

She is only 69..Imagine that at 83 from Spain she could still sing the Lescaut FULL VOICE….Do we know ANY OTHER SINGER like this????/

• arepo says:

There will never be the likes of Magda Olivero in the opera world again.
    She stands alone in greatness. A phenomenon at the age of 103.