• mirywi: Oops that was supposed to attach itself to the New Yorker article comments. 6:04 PM
  • mirywi: How was the singing? 6:02 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Ann Hallenberg is singing the Kindertotenlieder at the Champs Elysées this Friday. 5:48 PM
  • Clita del Toro: Yay! I just received the Callas CD’s. The box is very nice as is the booklet. Good... 5:40 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Or may not pay at all, one singer told me. 5:33 PM
  • phoenix: Voulgaridou has been on the circuit quite awhile – the first time I remember hearing her was... 5:14 PM
  • Gualtier M: Interesting fact – Voulgaridou is another soprano beneficiary of Angela Gheorghiu̵... 4:46 PM
  • manou: I have heard Voulgaridou here as Marguerite (also replacing Yoncheva). She sings prettily and on key. 4:46 PM
  • phoenix: She says ‘Though I AM Cebotari, …’ it must be the inimitable mjc. Welcome back! 4:44 PM
  • Constantine A. Papas: Krunoslov, The statement comparing the debut in Dallas of Papatanasiu to Callas was not... 4:05 PM

Living loge

Time to walk around a bit and discuss this week’s off-topic and general interest subjects, cher public.

• zinka says:

Sort of sad…but sweet to be together again.He has some left..She has nothing at all…and did she eat a lot?????

Jose and Katia should have been better.

• tornado12 says:

Just found this:

Didn’t know that it exists… as there are more singers, I suppose there is maybe the whole Act 2 on video… Anyone who has it? Is there also maybe anyone who has a Frau ohne Schatten with Madame Leonie on video? That’d be great… (as there are two of them! Either Salzburg 1974 or Vienna 1977)

• aulus agerius says:

Today I especially enjoyed the warmth and fullness of Damrau’s middle voice. Very beautiful….seemed to have lots of harmonics and overtones if I understand those terms correctly. In this she reminded me sometwhat of Gheorgiu and Meade at times. The great ensemble of the party scene she began very effectively; I think this is one of Verdi’s greatest concerti movements and is usually the emotional climax of the opera for me.

• A. Poggia Turra says:

Did anyone catch the the San Diego PBS radio station’s live stream of “Murder in the Cathedral”? I got home late and was only able to hear the last 20 minutes -- I did like that snippet, but am sorry to have missed the ful performance.

BTW -- at the end, the announcer noted that in three Saturdays, they will live stream Aida with L. Moore (19:00 PDT).

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Happy 72nd birthday soprano Laila Andersson-Palme

• zinka says:

Nice to stand next to that note…although our Bolenas were with piano..and she held the notes about an hour longer.

Galvany was the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• zinka says:

Fell out of the balcony in 1977 (Boheme) and still say she belongs way way up there with the all-time greatest verismo sopranos…but only people with live recordings know..Peccato!!!!

• OperaTeen says:

Cari Parterriani,

Would any of you know how long a performance of Beaumarchais’ Barber of Seville lasts? What about his Marriage of Figaro? Any help would be appreciated!

• bassoprofundo says:

Google is your friend.

• OperaTeen says:

I’ve looked everywhere and I can’t find anything.

• bluecabochon says:

“Google is your friend”.

I’ll remind you of that “profundism” the next time we’re in chat, basso, when you can’t be bothered to look up who is singing and instead ask everyone who’s the soprano? Who’s the baritone?

ROTFLMAO!!!!! Best laugh of the night!

• Jack Jikes says:

Is basso anybody’s friend?

• Feldmarschallin says:

Why do you all have to pick on Basso? Basso, hier steht kein napolitanischer General, wo ich steh, steh ich, I will stand by you. It is not nice when all gang up on one. I recall similiar things from school and never found that a nice thing for a group to pick on one.

• bassoprofundo says:

Danke Feldmarschallin, schon dass du mich unterstutzt. :) aber ich vermute, die meinen das nicht in ernst, die machen sich uber mich einfach lustig, zum scherz. und ehrlich gesagt ich habe auch ab und zu die andere belastigt… deshalb haben sie einen guten grund wegen mir auszuflippen!!! ubrigens, ich habe gestern abend meine karte gekauft, in Munchen zu fahren um Trovatore/Lohengrin/Ariadne auf Naxos zu sehen--ich kann’s kaum erwarten!

• Feldmarschallin says:

Schön ich bin auch in allen Trovatore Vorstellungen. Lohengrin mit Dasch laß ich ausfallen. Bin aber 18mal in die Festspiele. Vielleicht können wir uns mal in der Pause treffen.

Not as good as the news that Gelb resigned from the MET last night !
      April fool

• Nerva Nelli says:

Doubtless Karita Mattila, sleeping in a glass box in her Emilia Marty costumes, will curate the first special exhibit, “Kunst oder Konz.lager?”