• DeepSouthSenior: Ouch! That picture looks like a rejected first design for Darth Vader’s helmet,... 7:06 AM
  • DeepSouthSenior: A very young Danielle de Niese sang Barbarina at the Met in 1998 with Fleming, Bartoli,... 6:49 AM
  • DeepSouthSenior: I like Keenlyside but can’t picture him as Rigoletto under any circumstances. By... 6:33 AM
  • mandryka: Never a great fan of AG, I saw her several times when her performances showed up on my... 6:25 AM
  • DeepSouthSenior: No, “antik … chick” (how do you abbreviate antikitschychick?) , the IMAX... 6:22 AM
  • mandryka: Speaking of wild nights at the opera, I haven’t seen Lois Kirschenbaum recently. For years,... 6:18 AM
  • manou: http://kurier.at/k ultur/buehne/krank er-rigoletto-musst e-aufgeben/103.850 .270 5:58 AM
  • Lohengrin: Non curo! from Incoronatione diPoppea ismy favorite! Another from Manon Lecaut: Donna non vidi... 3:40 AM
  • antikitschychick: LMAO this is hilarious zinka. Thanks for sharing :-). 3:31 AM
  • NPW-Paris: I tried some of my Italian learnt from Monteverdi’s Orfeo on Roman friends. It made them... 3:14 AM

Happy Birthday Stefan Herheim

The Prince of Regie, who’ll direct a new Vêpres siciliennes for the Royal Opera this fall, is 43 years old today.

Parterre fave

• bang_bang_bang says:

Oh, he can’t be gay. I want him to be my husband.

• A. Poggia Turra says:

In the long interview that accompanied the web stream of the Amsterdam Eugene Onegin, wasn’t there an allusion to Herheim having a (male) partner?

Or am I just projecting (swishful thinking) :)

• Satisfied says:

What’s the scoop on herr Herheim’s next gigs and/or revivals next season? I’m sure he’ll be quite busy over the next few months between his new productions in Salzburg and London, but which companies are staging his revivals next season? (Operabase only mentions the Mastersinger.) I recall talk of his Parsifal being released commercially some time this year, but any word of that happening with his Xerxes? Such an incredibly fun production…I could watch it over and over again!

Watching Herheim’s work is like a drug: the first hit only makes you want more.

• Feldmarschallin says:

2015 he is doing Hoffmann in Bregenz.

• opus says:

Any casting info, Feldmarschallin?

• A. Poggia Turra says:

Feldmarschallin -- Is the Bregenz Hoffman to be on the floating stage or in the (indoors) theater?

Satisfied -- since Bayreuth teamed with Opus Arte, the parrten has been to release a DVD (and now blu-ray) about one year after it was filmed (in time for the next Festival). So if the pattern follows, we should see it by the end of this summer.

• Feldmarschallin says:

No idea on casting but I assume it is as usual outdoors and by bad weather indoors.

Casting in a French opera? Do you really CARE?

• Satisfied says:

This has BRILLIANT written all over it.

The Meistersinger production comes to the Paris Opera in the 2014/2015 season.

• Satisfied says:

That’s great to hear! Really wanted to make it to Salzburg this summer but decided to get engaged instead.

Only time will tell if the right decision was made…

• davidhs23 says:

The David Alden production of Meistersinger for Netherlands early this summer should make Stefan’s idea of one at best an afterthought or on average a cipher by comparison.

• davidhs23 says:

Let me see, any other comment to submit to make La Cieca squirm? Herheim is regietheater, almost Ken Burns style for dilettantes, not the real thing. And he should be gifted to have Piotr Beczala star in every production of his, whether it offer something right for Beczala’s voice and temperament or not.

• rogwood says:

Regarding Herheim’s excellent Amsterdam production of Onegin I have a question for you learned Parterrians: In act III after Onegin’s “I returned and went, like Chatsky, straight from a ship to a ball” there is a short choral comment, quite fitting in this production, before the chorus introduces “Knyaginya Gremina”. What’s the story here? I remember hearing that choral comment only (is it the same music?) in the old Russian Onegin movie. I have never heard it in any recordings or in any of the stage productions I have seen (and I have seen several in Russia). Is it even by Tchaikovsky?