• antikitschychick: not just for *my own petty reason that should say. 12:48 AM
  • antikitschychick: I sure hope so, and not just for own petty reason but for the sake of the doctor that was... 12:47 AM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: I’m sure it will be okay. 12:38 AM
  • antikitschychick: oh f**k. I didn’t know someone had tested positive in the NYC area…omg that... 12:14 AM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Unless there’s an ebola quarantine in NYC by then. 11:55 PM
  • antikitschychick: oh is that next week? Interesting. I don’t think AN will cancel. She’s done... 11:46 PM
  • antikitschychick: DEAR GOD WHAT DID I JUST WITNESS…!!! Ya’ll need to download the videos ^^^. It... 11:43 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Oh, my, Salgo gia (because what else and I don’t imagine only the aria... 11:26 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: The Goul will be singing from Nabucco and Netrebko some of Lady M. Sibilla decrepita, da... 11:06 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: What do you mean by your last sentence? 10:52 PM

Ogni cura si doni al diletto?

Says the Met press office: “José Cura will sing the role of Don José in the Friday, March 1 performance of Bizet’s Carmen, replacing Andrew Richards, who is ill. Cura, who begins rehearsals this week for his first Met performances of the title role in Verdi’s Otello, has graciously agreed at short notice to step in for what will be his company role debut as Don José.”

• blanchette says:

enfin!!!- a chance to show off my erudition, paltry though it may be next to Manou’s—-Casaubon- but you probably knew that

This guy should stick to drawing and animation

• pasavant says:

Cura sounds absolutely horrible in the Carmen clip. A barely controlled scream.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

I’m sorry I didn’t catch this Carmen. How was Schukoff, anyone????

Over the Internet, Richards sounded good.

In the broadcast, Schukoff was… divisive. Some people liked him, some really didn’t.

• Bluevicks says:

IMO, Schukoff has a very good stage with a warm and pleasant lyrical voice. The problem is that his voice is too small for a venue like the MT, which means that he had to constantly force on it.

He would certainly be better in a smaller venue.

• bassoprofundo says:

Having a voice too small for the Met doesn’t stop the likes of Hvorostovsky, etc from singing there. Why should it stop Schukoff?

• Bluevicks says:

I didn’t say that it ”should stop” Schukoff.
          It’s just that forcing in an attempt to be heard distorts the voice and prevents to sing legato (among other things). And for Schukoff this is a little bit unfortunate because his voice is quite pleasant in its ”natural” state (as was Hvorostovsky’s before his red-faced strangulated routine in roles which don’t suit him vocally).

Plus, if only voices suitable for the Met could thing in it, then there would be virtually no singers on the Met rooster.

• newyorkartist1 says:

I was in the house and Richards was awkward on stage and sounded warn out and unconfident on stage. His high notes made me sad.

• That Guy says:

Sorry to hear that, I heard he came down with some stomach issue and was already ill halfway through the show. Poor bugger. Cura had great potential but never fixed the technique. They should get Saccá, he is on fire in this role right now and he’ll be singing at the Met soon anyway. Move him up!

• Vergin Vezzosa says:

I thought Schukoff was terrific. His voice from my seat towards the rear of the dress circle on Feb. 20 seemed medium sized and was used very effectively for the big moments. I did not think it too small for the Met and did not hear pushing. His voice to me is also “sweet” without any crooning and his phrasing was lovely. He is one of the singers who sings whole lines and phrases instead of just notes. Dramatically, he was very effective, very natural, genuinely touching in the aria and wrenching in the final scene. I hope that he is hired back. PS -- I also thought that Mariotti did a great job with the orchestra.

Schukoff had a rough time with Don José at the Paris Opera in December: people complained he was inaudible much of the time. He even got booed at the prima. (To be fair, so did Antonacci, who was the Carmen, and the stage director.)

• Bluevicks says:

Well, La Bastille is a very big venue with infamously bad acoustics so this makes sense.

Not EVERYBODY gets booed, though. Fortunately!

• Vergin Vezzosa says:

Agreed. The Met, as big as it is, can in many seat locations be kinder to voices than a whole bunch of other theaters. I noticed it this year particularly with Bryan Hymel whose quality of sound came across better in Troyens in NY than in Robert le Diable in London even though the ROH auditorium is smaller.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

How was Deshayes’ Carmen, oedipe?

• Lyric-Tenore says:

I too hope it was only Illness for Andrew

• zinka says:

SHOCKING!!!!!!!!

A 17 year old young lady (maybe) from Vancouver has made up a site in which she shows photos of opera singers SHIRTLESS. The site is:

Shirtlessopera.blogspot.com

I found this site because I am always kidding about Jose Cura,now doing a Don Jose and several Otellos and always say, “Keep your shirt on,Jose.”(Although as long as he does not sing, he really could come out bottomless.).

I got to the site and MAMMA MIA…what an array of shirtless dudes, including the great Stefan Kocan,who stole the show as Sparafucile in the recent Met Rigoletto (even with his shirt on). If anyone here is interested in seeing their favorites shirtless,or almost shirtless (There is Melchior or Gigli there,by the way), go to the site and you will be able to revel in the pecs of the great artists of today and yesterday.

Personally, I think this whole thing is DISGUSTING!!!!!!!

Charlie, sempre vergine degli angeli.

• Bluevicks says:

Is it not the website which also went at length about the ”battle of the bulge” ? (please don’t ask me how I know that)

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Any reports on Cura’s Don José?