• Sanford: Watching the Tucker gala. Beczala sounded awful. Bocelli murdered Edgardo, and Costello looks gorgeous in his double breasted... 9:34 PM
  • Orlando Furioso: When I download it, it’s about an hour and 10 minutes (about half the duration of the opera) and stops in the... 9:32 PM
  • HiggsBoson: The Dover score indicates a middle C and no optional notation for a high C. However, Brunnhilde has written both the high C... 7:46 PM
  • la vociaccia: I don’t think it’s either! Vibrato is far to fluttery on top to be Callas or Fleming and the ‘tutto e... 7:27 PM
  • armerjacquino: Haven’t heard the clip yet but I’m intrigued by the one that’s Fleming or Price or Callas! 6:51 PM
  • manou: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=kzw1 _2b-I7A 6:39 PM
  • jacobelli: I’m only sure about a few of these. 1. Licia Albanese 2. Magda Olivero 3. Clara Petrella 4. Karita Mattila 5. Mirella... 6:38 PM
  • m. croche: I do wonder whether his next string quartet will include a “safe word”. I was a bit surprised to read that he has... 5:51 PM

“And the portions are so large!”

A parterre reader just back from the matinee of Powder Her Face relates this story of two elderly ladies seated in the second row, barely arms-length from the stageful of naked male extras who invaded the Duchess’s hotel room.

As the lights come up for intermission…

First Little Old Lady: “It was really interesting seeing all those different ——s. They were all different shapes and sizes.”

Second Little Old Lady: “And colors!”

I have to clear my name right here and now:
    ce n’était pas moi!

• phoenix says:

Did they happen to be from Pittsburgh?

The photograph does not seem to tally with the anecdote.

• Gualtier M says:

I’m going on Thursday -- a friend who went on Friday said that the male extras were chosen with a tape measure. I can’t wait for La Cieca’s report.

• bassoprofundo says:

For some reason, I doubt this anecdote is true.

Makes for funny reading, though.

• zinka says:

If they have a lot of room on stage then it would be a CUT performance.

GREEN?Imagine a green spotlight falling on a guy?????

We will all be dead..well,maybe not opera teen..BUT The Met in 50 years will do the opera “Adamo e Eva” with Placido as the snake. Am I ribbing you??OK..so shoot me…

• zinka says:

Since La Cieca went to the Bklyn Academy of Music to see “Powder your Face’ and there were 22 nude dudes on stage…I recall we took classes from NYC years ago to the Spanish play by Lorca “Yerma,” where they used a kind of large trampolin that moved and represented the mountains of Espana. SUDDENLY, lights went up and a guy..in his birthday suit appeared..Imagine a few thousand high school kids going crazy!!(We never knew and we had to tell the principal if he got any calls..we did not know!)..Of course the guy got an ovation from all the girls..maybe also a few boys…

Since the Met allows topless hookers and now City Opera allows bottomless guys…I think,given Gelb’s new er--I mean DIrection…Met auditions all over the land should now add a certain element to the vocal abilities….. Never mind just squillo, range, musicianship, acting ability, being able to imitate Ponselle or Caruso…NOW we need another dimension..I mean idea….

The question is..WHO..WHO will “examine” the artist to see if he/she/it (for countertenors) to determine if the artist is able to rise..I mean PERFORM..No…I mean “Be good enough.”

Before all the auditions start, Gelb should send out scouts (probably men and woman the age of Magda Olivero) to see if the artist would be able to do birthday suit shows.

Boy..I am glad Caballe retired and Luciano is no longer with us.

Do you think I am betting too far afield/..or should I be sent out to a field????

Love Carlitos, experto en estas cosas…but no longer….

• Alto says:

Trying WAY too hard.

• Ilka Saro says:

“The question is..WHO..WHO will “examine” the artist to see if he/she/it (for countertenors) to determine if the artist is able to rise..I mean PERFORM”

I don’t think you would find any shortage of women OR men on the Met Staff who would be glad if this examination were part of their job description. I would love to see how job applicants would characterize “past experience” with this in their resumes.

• Byrnham Woode says:

Far from being a Gelb innovation, the MET had nudity thirty years ago in the Peter Hall staging of MACBETH. Yes, it was “just” in the corps de ballet, but it was there -- and they toured it.

Under Volpe there was toplessness in WAR AND PEACE (the French Actresses) and there should have been in the borrowed staging of MEFISTOFELE.

There may be other examples. For instance, City Opera had an absolutely totally nude, co-ed dance sequence in their ORFEO production some years back.

• CwbyLA says:

Matilla completely nude for a milisecond in Salome was during Volpe years. Now we can’t even hear Karita naked or clothed at the Met.

• The_Kid says:

“..The question is..WHO..WHO will “examine” the artist to see if he/she/it (for countertenors)…”

so, countertenors’ choice of pronoun is ‘it’? excuse me while i throw up from the stench of heteronormativty of this post.

• Angelo Saccosta says:

Brava Zinka. You’re as good as you were in the 1952 Aida I listened to yesterday with you and Mario D.

• La Valkyrietta says:

Wagner used to say that flowers have their private parts exposed, which leads me to believe in a few years the Met’s production of Parsifal, when, perhaps, on zinka’s inspiration, Domingo will play Kundry’s girdle, we will have fifty naked ladies in the second act. :)

• fidelio101 says:

Jimmy L.

• il Rogo says:

At the City Opera in the old days (ante-Steel) there were so many shows with full nudity that I can’t remember them all. But the largest penis on display was surely in “Doctor Faustus” on a super playing the part of Adam (there was also a naked Eve, not that anyone here would care) He rose out of a coffin, as I recall. Even baritone Bill Stone was impressed: “Is that a schlong, or WHAT!” Hegge’s “dead Man Walking opened with a scene of two naked supers getting it on in the back of a convertible. In the premier of “Rasputin” the chorus was invited to strip by the director, Frank Corsaro, if they felt comfortable, and some did to one extent or another. And then there was the case of the “Naked Youth” in “Moses und Aron” who complained he had been groped during a black-out. Round up the usual suspects.

• il Rogo says:

At the City Opera in the old days (ante-Steel) there were so many shows with full nudity that I can’t remember them all. But the largest penis on display was surely in “Doctor Faustus” on a super playing the part of Adam (there was also a naked Eve, not that anyone here would care) He rose out of a coffin, as I recall. Even baritone Bill Stone was impressed: “Is that a schlong, or WHAT!” Hegge’s “Dead Man Walking” opened with a scene of two naked supers getting it on in the back of a convertible. In the premier of “Rasputin” the chorus was invited to strip by the director, Frank Corsaro, if they felt comfortable, and some did to one extent or another. And then there was the case of the “Naked Youth” in “Moses und Aron” who complained he had been groped during a black-out. Round up the usual suspects.

Sometimes heterosexuals are so strange!