• Batty Masetto: Italian Wikipedia: Gioacchino è un nome proprio di persona italiano maschile. Varianti:... 9:16 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: I think it’s due to pregnancy, rather than where San Francisco is situated. 8:59 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Yes and especially that is off the beaten track. I remember when I lived there it took... 8:55 AM
  • Hippolyte: This won’t be the last performance of Violetta that Yoncheva cancels this year–the... 8:51 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Born on this day in 1706 composer Giovanni Battista Martini httpv://www.you... 8:46 AM
  • oedipe: P.S. The spelling with 2Cs may have something to do with French pronunciation: Gioachino spelled with... 8:38 AM
  • phoenix: Thanks for the report, Cicci – more often than not I don’t agree with critics – I... 8:37 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: n der Vorstellung von La traviata am 25. April 2014 wird Aurelia Florian die Partie der... 8:30 AM
  • oedipe: Here’s what French Wiki says: Gioachino Rossini — Gioacchino Rossini pour certains auteurs... 8:25 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: Good clues! There is only one C in Rossini’s signature. Here’s his short letter... 8:11 AM

Einspring can really hang you up the most

Winter Met sensation Pretty Yende does another jump-in this weekend, again in Le Comte Ory, but this time at the Theater an der Wien. She’s subbing for Cecilia Bartoli, who has canceled her first two performances of Comtesse Adèle there. [Der Standard]

• Feldmarschallin says:

Good luck to her and she is having a great run. Hopefully I will get to hear her live soon.

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

Aw. I know that Larry was really looking forward to singing with Bartoli (Facebook friends). And both being small voice it’s probably a good mixture but still, Pretty is so wonderful I am going to hunt for this broadcast.

• Buster says:

Frau Kammersängerin Pretty Yende!

• tannengrin says:

Is she Amish? This looks like it’s her “Rumspringa to Einspringa” year. And I read somewhere that she wants to settle in Paris for the time being. Lucky girl!

• papopera says:

Might as well settle in Paris where glory is just like Josephine Baker -- but watch for the endless taxes in that country.

• Regina delle fate says:

The endless taxes are one of the reasons France is such a civilised place to live. Five opera houses in Paris and exquisite smaller ones all over this huge and beautiful country. Aix-en-Provence is one of the most congenial festival towns in Europe.

• Rowna says:

She wants to settle in Paris to get French under her belt -- she said three years. She is a very self-possessed young woman with an enormous talent and truly beautiful instrument. Her youth should not be held against her. I think she knows she is at the very beginning of what could be a spectacular career. I wish her the best. Her voice is pretty, just like her name, and although I haven’t seen her, through her singing, I hear a charming young woman.

Indeed Rowna, why in the world would ANYONE EVER want to live in Paris if it weren’t for the sake of getting French under their belt?

• Rowna says:

Hahaha Oedipe! Being a Francophile, it is the country I have visited most, and I think I have been to Paris 4 times. Don’t get me started on France, because I love the people and country. This doesn’t make me popular with my friends who diss the French at every opportunity. I love travel and have videos for almost all the places I have been, and if you love France, here is Brittany in photos and music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yyg_mAPo8c

Rowna, I was merely noticing what was implied in your remark, that one needs to justify in some way one’s decision to settle in Paris.

• messa di voce says:

In the house, she is everything you say and more. Definite star quality, maybe the most for any soprano since Netrebko. She seems to be very smart, and her future looks great.