• LT: I’ve heard Favero’s Adriana on YT and no way today you would be raving about her if she sang... 9:09 PM
  • Poison Ivy: La mamma morta was good but this was not. I think it’s rather “pitchy̶ 1;:... 8:57 PM
  • zinka: YOU need to run the MET..La Cieca can be an usher….. you write (like James) so beautifullyR... 6:58 PM
  • zinka: Hi>>I am not saying that singers today cannot be superb..BUT who has the “Muzio... 6:56 PM
  • antikitschychick: Don’t know that she necessarily chose him…perhaps he was the most qualified to... 6:40 PM
  • antikitschychick: How wonderful to hear she was so nice and down to earth :-) thanks for sharing your lovely... 6:35 PM
  • antikitschychick: Ivy you’re probably right about the total devotion thing (as you’ve... 6:30 PM
  • SilvestriWoman: I only met her briefly, but Freni was as down to earth as can be. As I waited for a coaching... 6:24 PM
  • Camille: Gracias, NPW. Very interesting to hear Mo. Biondi had this to say in re Vivaldi and helps me a... 6:19 PM
  • veal seduttore: The Kaufmann Ferrando is astonishing, not only for how good it is, but how unrecognizable his... 6:19 PM

Big Daddy says “bullfighter”

Says the Met press office this snowy afternoon: “Dwayne Croft will sing the role of Escamillo in Bizet’s Carmen on February 9, 13, and 16, replacing Teddy Tahu Rhodes, who determined in rehearsals that the role was no longer suitable for his voice. Casting for the performances on February 20, 23 matinee, 26, and March 1 will be announced at a later date.”

• stignanispawn says:

I vote for Alexey Markov or for Hyung Yun (who is covering Alexey Markov’s Valentin in Faust.) Hyung sang at the Met and then disapeared. He has performed with SFO and is singing the title role in Rigoletto in Seattle next season. Hyung also sang Escamillo in Wisconsin(?) last season, I think.

While we’re talking about baritones singing French, this recording of Rameau by Trevor Scheunemann (who currently sings some smaller roles at the Met) is worth listening too.
    Very elegant, but also very expressive within the confines of the style. Bravo!

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Another Toreador song:

Etoile!

• mirywi says:

‘The role was no longer suitable for his voice” makes it sound like the role is to blame for his decision to cancel.

• Babbuino says:

How did Mr. Croft fare last night, any reports?

By the way, this guy is an excellent Escamillo, although young. http://www.alekseybogdanov.com

He just did it in Atlanta and last summer at OTSL. A baritone with both snarl and bass coloring. Actually I just saw this in Opera News for Atlanta…
    “Russian-American baritone Aleksey Bogdanov rounded out the international cast with a confident portrayal of Escamillo…Bogdanov’s substantial voice rumbles rivetingly from top to bottom.”
    Too bad the MET doesn’t know him yet.

• MAXOMUCHACHO says:

No one’s mentioned Dolora Zajik, who has better chest notes than any baritone I’ve heard since Tito Gobbi.