• hamish: Saw the show in Williamstown. Not a great comedy but it was fun and Renee sent herself up hilariously 8:59 PM
  • quibbleglib: Ooooo you saucy bitch!!! “Break the internet” literally made me ROTFLASMP. Pure gold. 7:21 PM
  • laddie: Ivy, It’s lovely to see so much support for your blog; indeed, your style is completely unique... 6:45 PM
  • SF Guy: And heavy reliance on the kindness of strangers. 6:39 PM
  • Rackon: Oh no! I loved your blog for your insight on both music and dance! Plus you’re hilarious!... 6:35 PM
  • Grane: “As one would.” 6:24 PM
  • SF Guy: But that would require, like, acting. 5:54 PM
  • NPW-Paris: He could have thrown in Leyla Gencer for good luck. 5:45 PM
  • Salome Where She Danced: She could also do Blanche du Bois, in the original version of “A Streetcar... 5:44 PM
  • Harold: Maybe I’m missing something, but I see it as a good thing. I entered ticket lottery several... 5:38 PM

Big Daddy says “bullfighter”

Says the Met press office this snowy afternoon: “Dwayne Croft will sing the role of Escamillo in Bizet’s Carmen on February 9, 13, and 16, replacing Teddy Tahu Rhodes, who determined in rehearsals that the role was no longer suitable for his voice. Casting for the performances on February 20, 23 matinee, 26, and March 1 will be announced at a later date.”

• stignanispawn says:

I vote for Alexey Markov or for Hyung Yun (who is covering Alexey Markov’s Valentin in Faust.) Hyung sang at the Met and then disapeared. He has performed with SFO and is singing the title role in Rigoletto in Seattle next season. Hyung also sang Escamillo in Wisconsin(?) last season, I think.

While we’re talking about baritones singing French, this recording of Rameau by Trevor Scheunemann (who currently sings some smaller roles at the Met) is worth listening too.
    Very elegant, but also very expressive within the confines of the style. Bravo!

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Another Toreador song:

Etoile!

• mirywi says:

‘The role was no longer suitable for his voice” makes it sound like the role is to blame for his decision to cancel.

• Babbuino says:

How did Mr. Croft fare last night, any reports?

By the way, this guy is an excellent Escamillo, although young. http://www.alekseybogdanov.com

He just did it in Atlanta and last summer at OTSL. A baritone with both snarl and bass coloring. Actually I just saw this in Opera News for Atlanta…
    “Russian-American baritone Aleksey Bogdanov rounded out the international cast with a confident portrayal of Escamillo…Bogdanov’s substantial voice rumbles rivetingly from top to bottom.”
    Too bad the MET doesn’t know him yet.

• MAXOMUCHACHO says:

No one’s mentioned Dolora Zajik, who has better chest notes than any baritone I’ve heard since Tito Gobbi.