• aulus agerius: He himself has acknowledged his top notes as his weak point as far back as The Audition as he peevishly belittled Alek... 2:17 PM
  • armerjacquino: Did I dream it, or was there once, many years ago, a parterre discussion about a ‘FriendsR 17; COSI? Could never... 2:16 PM
  • Krunoslav: “wouldn’t the logical thing have been to find a new Rachel?” Why not go with a time-tested one? http://tinyurl.... 2:13 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Kurzak did a superb job, and she herself said that her voice has darkened since her pregnancy so that Rachel actually fits... 2:02 PM
  • tiger1: Thanks – but wouldn’t the logical thing have been to find a new Rachel? 1:53 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Yes, Silvestrelli’ ;s voice does seem to be going at the top and bottom, though the fundamental color doesn’t... 1:49 PM
  • chicagoing: Yes, I was at that Saturday evening performance, which I am very happy to have seen in spite of my comment. I believe it was... 1:07 PM
  • kashania: Thanks for the great report, Batty! I agree about Fabiano’s stage deportment. It’s in evidence in concert too, like... 12:57 PM

Big Daddy says “bullfighter”

Says the Met press office this snowy afternoon: “Dwayne Croft will sing the role of Escamillo in Bizet’s Carmen on February 9, 13, and 16, replacing Teddy Tahu Rhodes, who determined in rehearsals that the role was no longer suitable for his voice. Casting for the performances on February 20, 23 matinee, 26, and March 1 will be announced at a later date.”

• 21
    stignanispawn says:

I vote for Alexey Markov or for Hyung Yun (who is covering Alexey Markov’s Valentin in Faust.) Hyung sang at the Met and then disapeared. He has performed with SFO and is singing the title role in Rigoletto in Seattle next season. Hyung also sang Escamillo in Wisconsin(?) last season, I think.

• 22
    MontyNostry says:

While we’re talking about baritones singing French, this recording of Rameau by Trevor Scheunemann (who currently sings some smaller roles at the Met) is worth listening too.
    Very elegant, but also very expressive within the confines of the style. Bravo!

• 23
    Bianca Castafiore says:

Another Toreador song:

• 24
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

Etoile!

• 25
    mirywi says:

‘The role was no longer suitable for his voice” makes it sound like the role is to blame for his decision to cancel.

• 26
    Babbuino says:

How did Mr. Croft fare last night, any reports?

By the way, this guy is an excellent Escamillo, although young. http://www.alekseybogdanov.com

He just did it in Atlanta and last summer at OTSL. A baritone with both snarl and bass coloring. Actually I just saw this in Opera News for Atlanta…
    “Russian-American baritone Aleksey Bogdanov rounded out the international cast with a confident portrayal of Escamillo…Bogdanov’s substantial voice rumbles rivetingly from top to bottom.”
    Too bad the MET doesn’t know him yet.

• 27
    MAXOMUCHACHO says:

No one’s mentioned Dolora Zajik, who has better chest notes than any baritone I’ve heard since Tito Gobbi.