• DeepSouthSenior: In my limited experience, Polenzani is at his best among a gifted ensemble that’s... 8:20 PM
  • Benedetta Funghi-Trifolati: Ah! Marion Lippert! The torments she suffered. I saw all her Met roles (Senta,... 8:12 PM
  • peter: Hartig sang gorgeously last night. I haven’t heard such a beautiful lyric soprano voices in ages. 8:00 PM
  • la vociaccia: I’d say Polenzani is quite appropriately rated, actually. He has a very big career and he... 7:45 PM
  • MontyNostry: Ciccia, you make me seem so vulgar by comparison. 7:35 PM
  • orestes: Milady, her cards told me to log out of Sirius. 6:59 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Well, you’re right, uwsinnyc, she does have a top, but it seems more constricted in... 6:35 PM
  • Orion: Hello everybody, I wrote a comment under this article from ANSA caus’ it’s obvious that... 6:24 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: Sarah, Simon, and the rest of the Berlin gang are at Carnegie Hall this week, and at the... 5:25 PM
  • Cicciabella: 4th Horn and 3rd Norn are my dream roles. (Segueing from MontyNostry wanting to be The Dentist... 5:22 PM

The wrong box

Take a breather, cher public, and join in the general interest and off-topic conversation in this week’s intermission feature.

• Review of the first (and so far, only) Lincoln Center performance of Lalla Roukh with Opera Lafayette. On Superconductor.

• zinka says:

Gelb…Why didn’t you do it like this?????????????????

For those who were wondering: the uncertainty about the Hoffmann in SF has been lifted, it seems. Dessay will only sing Antonia. The Olympia, Giulietta and Stella will be sung by complete unknowns (to me at least): Hye Jung Lee, Irene Roberts and Jennifer Cherest, respectively.

• SF Guy says:

Hye Jung Lee’s Madame Mao was the best thing about SFO’s Nixon in China last year (she certainly got the biggest ovation at the performance I attended); the others are unknown to me as well.

On the positive side, this greatly increases the odds that Dessay will actually show up.

Let’s see if La Dizzy actually goes through with her committment to that production when it opens in Barcelona at the Liceu on Feb 4th.

But then, why shouldn’t she warble for 20 minutes, get a big fee and all the tapas she can eat.

It remains to be seen whether “2C” showing up is a positive or a negative…

On the positive side, all the tapas she can eat will not go a long way. I can think of others (no names) who would likely consume many many more tapas than Dessay.

Gnädige Feldmarschallin,

An elegant Isolde—I do so hope it comes through as I have been trying ro post it all dau, to no avail.

To post it all day, that is. Damn keyboard flipped to AZERTY keyboard all of a sudden. Oh goody, I see it finally came through.

I too was stumped by the expression “an elegant Isolde”, as frankly, I could not think of one! Then I happened to notice it was the birthday of the GREATEST Germaine Lubin, et voilà!

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Born on this day in 1813 composer Alexander Sergeyevich Dargomïzhsky

Born on this day in 1873 composer Leo Fall

Born on this day in 1901 baritone Gerhard Hüsch

Born on this day in 1919 soprano Lisa Della Casa

Happy 84th birthday tenor Waldemar Kmentt

Happy 77th birthday soprano Martina Arroyo

Happy 75th birthday bass-baritone Simon Estes

Happy 69th birthday conductor Andrew Davis

• La Cieca says:

Operavore, starting now on WQXR! http://www.wqxr.org/

• Buster says:

Operetta earworm. There are lovely versions of this by Hilde Gueden (on a generous highlights disc with Martha Mödl!), and a moving one by Rothenberger (on the complete set that has Renate Holm as Postchristel). Holm is just fabulous here:

• zinka says:

PRETTY!

• zinka says:

Second try on our new STAR!!!!! Pretty great!