• olliedawg: I never saw the OC with Ohrbach, but the cast recording is one of my guilty pleasures. Some of it sounds dated, and even though... 4:27 PM
  • Satisfied: Thank you for this, Feld. Found the program if anyone is interested. musik-im-zdf/adven tskonzertausdre... 4:17 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Pisaroni looks very elegant in the blue velvet but her hair looks horrible. They are two different colors. But she sounds... 4:15 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: ZDFmediathek#/beit rag/video/2610004/ Adventskonzert-aus -Dresden Adventskonzert von Dresden mit... 3:56 PM
  • armerjacquino: Maybe because they noticed hat at the time the *production* was set, Italy did exist. 2:27 PM
  • redbear: Most of the audience (all?) missed the reference to Silvo Berlusconi even though, as Scarpia was getting head, a map of Italy (a... 2:14 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: Well, since I became semi-retired and joined the ranks of the idle non-rich, I have more time on my hands than is good... 1:28 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I was lucky enough to see the original cast on Broadway and had the OC-LP for years. Strange that it took... 1:27 PM

Steam heat?

Tenor Vittorio Grigolo, easy on the eyes despite the fright wig, is one of the “Hottest Opera Stars Of 2013″ according to Huffington Post. But does he meet the criteria of the highest authority on hotness of them all, namely the parterre consensus?

So you tell me, cher public, which of the ardent artistes on this list do you agree belong in the top echelon of calidity, and which other singers you would promote to populate the Torrid Ten?

• Salome Where She Danced says:

Nikolai Schukoff makes my uvula vibrate!

• La Valkyrietta says:

Jonas definitely.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Dmitri. As I remember, he used to be considered very hot. What year, exactly, did he cease to be?

I think I would have included Elina in the list.

• bassoprofundo says:

I suppose that it’s difficult to consider singers hot when the sounds coming out of their mouths are unbearable.

When he hit the Big 5-0.

• La Valkyrietta says:

Yes, that loud heavy breathing sound does destroy animal magnetism, should there be any. It first appeared, I think, many years ago, four or so maybe, but he hit the big 5-0 only October of last year.

• Jamie01 says:

Huffpo’s list is wack.

Barbara Frittoli is way sexier than any of those chicks.

And although she doesn’t really do it for me, I’m surprised Annette Dasch hasn’t been mentioned.

• bang_bang_bang says:

How about Kwiecien? He is super hot. Keenlyside is obviously hot, too. As for women, I admire Barbara Hannigan and Waltraud Meier (iconic face).

• arepo says:

• arepo says:

As to women?

• HiCsAPlenty says:

Since LindoroAlmaviva so eloquently commented on men he thought should make the list, I’ll chime in with 10 women, most unmentioned but a few who were, whom I feel at least warrant consideration… (Please forgive any misspelling of names)

In no particular order:

Isabel Leonard
    Audrey Luna
    Nino Machaidze
    Ava Pine
    Nathalie Manfrino
    Sarah Coburn
    Anna Canterina Antonacci
    Kate Aldrich
    Elena Garanca
    Nora Amsellem

Just my initial thoughts… general public please feel free to comment as you see fit!

• A. Poggia Turra says:

Lots of hottish singers out there (I have a special admiration for cute blondes like Topi L. and Bernard R.) But there are also a lot of HOT/cute conductors appearing on the operatic scene, such as Michele Mariotti (soulful eyes), Diego Matheuz (great smile) and Jérémie Rhorer (OMG that hair -- I could spend days running my hands through Mr. Rhorer’s gorgeous locks :D

• zinka says:

Oh..If more singers would use CHESt…It would be a Bruna Rasa world.

Loved chat today..A pleasure to meet the only people who know anything…

Then there’s always Monserrat’s recentish favorite squeeze Nicolay Baskov, who always makes be think of the line “ou dort le double sexe” from Ravel’s Shéhérazade

How come NOBODY has mentioned Elina yet?

• Ilka Saro says:

A nod to Willard White. When he did Golaud (about a decade ago??) I thought he was very very sexy. This was with Dawn Upshaw as Melisande, so delicate and confused, and Dwayne Croft as Pelleas, all amorous. It was fascinating. Pelleas was sexy in how he wooed Melisande, with sensuality and poetry. But Willard White was sexy through his physical presence, his authority, and the sense he gave of us his hidden wounds. For Upshaw’s Melisande, there was nothing to do but submit to Golaud, and to coyly find herself in Pelleas’ path as often as possible.

And although it probably contributed to his momentary vocal decline, Dwayne Croft singing in the tenor range was very very sexy.

How about voices that are just plain sexy:
    Pablo Elvira, Jose Van Dam, Jose Carreras

• La Valkyrietta says:

To be Ogden Nashy
    Of former hotties
    No one hotter
    Than Hans Hotter.

• arepo says:

Plain sexy voices?

In a class by himself: Mario Lanza (the best of the best)

• Tenorfach says:

Vittorio Grigolo (or “The Greasy Gigolo” -- as he is known as in one European opera group! LOL) …… yieeekeeesss!

…. give me South African baritone William Berger any time of the day!!

• almavivante says:

May we have a little reality spasm here? These are opera singers we’re discussing--they’re not movie stars. Some nice-looking gents, but not a Clark Gable among them. (My goodness--all this heavy breathing over Jonas, who photographs awfully well but who in person looks, well, nice enough.) That is to say, the value of their stock as Sexiest Man on the Lyric Stage is simply not that high. Maybe, just maybe, for my own craven personal tastes, I would whisper the name James Valenti (and I whisper it because looks aside he’s not such a hot singer), and yes, I have been known to be, shall we say, distracted by Simon Keenlyside’s chest and Zachary Stains in the altogether, but that’s a far as it goes. However, if George Clooney were an opera singer? Well, as Jerry Lee Lewis would have said, “Now ya got somethin’ there.”