• laddie: Timely quiz- Fidelio on Medici tomorrow from Verbier, conducted by Minkowski, and of course later in... 7:03 PM
  • steveac10: But Pecheurs is an even easier sell. Especially if you can cast a baritone and tenor who have six... 6:53 PM
  • MontyNostry: There is a big profile of Herlitzius in the August edition of Opera magazine, which is... 6:39 PM
  • Orion: Fine with pleasure Grimoaldo, and will read also Manou’s report too ;) I will give you my... 6:24 PM
  • Camille: Exactly what I had in mind! Now, let’s hope he doesn’t try to strangle her... 6:20 PM
  • DellaCasaFan: Buster, these are fantastic hits for the first run. It took me more than one listening for a... 6:20 PM
  • grimoaldo: Yes we are interested Orion (some of us anyway) please report ( I hope manou will too)! 6:05 PM
  • grimoaldo: “CuirassR 21; is not a word you hear very often, it brings to my mind “This tight... 6:01 PM
  • Orion: Kashaniar, I read your comment with great interest, because I know that many people have the same... 5:58 PM
  • Stendhal: Your comment is a perfect example of ideological thinking that has become accepted as fact by... 5:54 PM

Snow business

This week on Operavore: “Strong Women of Opera.” Marilyn Horne talks with actress Tyne Daly, we hear Maria Callas in one of her legendary master classes, and La Cieca tells us why “a strong woman doesn’t always have a easy time of it.”

La Cieca swiped Garanca’s fur snood!!!

Better not let Ercole see you in this getup, gurl!

• Will says:

Does a strong woman EVER have an easy time of it?

NO! One is given 10x the amou t of schite a good little woman is, who is spoiled, indulged, coddled and clucked over throughout her beknighted existence. Just saying….

• redbear says:

I know that this forum is entirely the wrong place to think of opera as a serious social/intellectual platform but there is a Holocoust opera recorded yesterday evening in Vienna’s National Assembly. “Spiegelgrund’ by Peter Androsch takes its name from the Viennese hospital where Nazis experimented on children. It is available until Feb. 1 on http://www.sonostream.tv
      Most of you will, of course, prefer to wait for La Straniera with Edita on the 18th.

• La Cieca says:

If Holocaust opera is ever to become truly popular, it will be because its advocates take the trouble to insult and patronize total strangers.

• redbear says:

Apologies all around. I’ll try to avoid posting during an acid reflux attack.

Whyfore ever NOT? That is the state in which most everything is posted herein and I, for one, am thrilled and grateful to learn about the La Straniera, an opera I unashamedly ADORE and know I will never see.

About the holocaust opera—maybe a part of it is that it will be easier to deal with for many, many people, say, a hundred years from now, if EVER. It has only been now 67 years since WWII ended. There are many still alive, or second generation persons directly affected irrevocably by this terrible cataclysm.

It interests me as I had an opportunity to see the opera Brundibar (is that the correct name of it?) and I missed that chance, for which I am not only a little sorry and a tiny bit conscience stricken.
            I should have tried a little harder.

Boy, do I love this ensemble from La Rondine. (Sorry, there’s no Sat broadcast thread).

• DharmaBray says:

Looking forward to listening to the stream again… but “and a new multi-million dollar partnership between Sydney Opera House and Etihad Airways.”???? Really, is there no other news in the world of opera to discuss??

• bassoprofundo says:

Where can one listen to the stream again? I’ve just looked on the WQXR website and haven’t found it.

Don’t miss some of the details about the big NYCO auction posted earlier here on parterre:

A Strong Woman asks: could we have regular podcasts of the Operavore broadcasts? A Feeble Woman would be too worried about bothering busy people with pesky requests.