• m. croche: Another part of the Al Jolson legacy: He was such a popular entertainer worldwide, that he... 2:05 AM
  • fletcher: HH, are you planning to go to Salonen’s Pelléas next spring at LA Phil? The semi-staged... 1:58 AM
  • Krunoslav: True enough httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=tWCe 6bW0-Fs 1:46 AM
  • Batty Masetto: My late ex, a theater designer, used to tell about attending a Met performance (maybe... 1:17 AM
  • Fritz: You could still see blackface on British television until the late 70s. httpv://www.you... 1:03 AM
  • PCally: The best example currently would be the Schenk Rusalka, which is in serious need of a paint job,... 12:35 AM
  • Krunoslav: ‘Jolson’s style has dated terribly, but I don’t know how many performers of his generation... 12:19 AM
  • parpignol: I heard Rysanek sing in this production in 1977; I have no memory of the production at all. . . 12:06 AM
  • Sempre liberal: An advantage of cheap, distant seats: I have never seen a production looking faded or... 11:50 PM
  • Henry Holland: Pelleas et Melisande is a good example for me of the “traditional ” v.... 11:28 PM

Snow business

This week on Operavore: “Strong Women of Opera.” Marilyn Horne talks with actress Tyne Daly, we hear Maria Callas in one of her legendary master classes, and La Cieca tells us why “a strong woman doesn’t always have a easy time of it.”

La Cieca swiped Garanca’s fur snood!!!

Better not let Ercole see you in this getup, gurl!

• Will says:

Does a strong woman EVER have an easy time of it?

NO! One is given 10x the amou t of schite a good little woman is, who is spoiled, indulged, coddled and clucked over throughout her beknighted existence. Just saying….

• redbear says:

I know that this forum is entirely the wrong place to think of opera as a serious social/intellectual platform but there is a Holocoust opera recorded yesterday evening in Vienna’s National Assembly. “Spiegelgrund’ by Peter Androsch takes its name from the Viennese hospital where Nazis experimented on children. It is available until Feb. 1 on http://www.sonostream.tv
      Most of you will, of course, prefer to wait for La Straniera with Edita on the 18th.

• La Cieca says:

If Holocaust opera is ever to become truly popular, it will be because its advocates take the trouble to insult and patronize total strangers.

• redbear says:

Apologies all around. I’ll try to avoid posting during an acid reflux attack.

Whyfore ever NOT? That is the state in which most everything is posted herein and I, for one, am thrilled and grateful to learn about the La Straniera, an opera I unashamedly ADORE and know I will never see.

About the holocaust opera—maybe a part of it is that it will be easier to deal with for many, many people, say, a hundred years from now, if EVER. It has only been now 67 years since WWII ended. There are many still alive, or second generation persons directly affected irrevocably by this terrible cataclysm.

It interests me as I had an opportunity to see the opera Brundibar (is that the correct name of it?) and I missed that chance, for which I am not only a little sorry and a tiny bit conscience stricken.
            I should have tried a little harder.

Boy, do I love this ensemble from La Rondine. (Sorry, there’s no Sat broadcast thread).

• DharmaBray says:

Looking forward to listening to the stream again… but “and a new multi-million dollar partnership between Sydney Opera House and Etihad Airways.”???? Really, is there no other news in the world of opera to discuss??

• bassoprofundo says:

Where can one listen to the stream again? I’ve just looked on the WQXR website and haven’t found it.

Don’t miss some of the details about the big NYCO auction posted earlier here on parterre:

A Strong Woman asks: could we have regular podcasts of the Operavore broadcasts? A Feeble Woman would be too worried about bothering busy people with pesky requests.