• Olivero is my Drug of Choice: I saw ATS in the ’84 run of Lohengrin with Domingo and Marton. She was... 6:59 PM
  • Niel Rishoi: Mercadante, I looked up Leah Partridge on YouTube, and found this clip of her singing “Ah!... 6:55 PM
  • MontyNostry: I saw ATS quite a number of times. I didn’t think Tosca was her role either, but I can... 6:51 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: I love wearing fur in the cold, but have you seen the huge fur coat on Netrebko̵... 6:34 PM
  • armerjacquino: Thanks, Monty! I never saw ATS live- I was supposed to get her as Ariadne, but she cancelled... 6:31 PM
  • armerjacquino: To be fair to Romano, she was given a place in the final- although on the other hand, not all... 6:28 PM
  • MontyNostry: Mazel tov, armer! The whole opera’s a riot, so you should have fun, though the obvious... 6:25 PM
  • armerjacquino: I worked with Plowright’s sister at the end of last year, she’s a lovely woman.... 6:23 PM
  • steveac10: It’s been gone here for more than 30 years. As a vocal performance undergrad I got 1 hour a... 6:10 PM
  • dexter: It makes me feel very old (and god knows what it does to her) to realise that I heard Rosalind... 6:05 PM

Snow business

This week on Operavore: “Strong Women of Opera.” Marilyn Horne talks with actress Tyne Daly, we hear Maria Callas in one of her legendary master classes, and La Cieca tells us why “a strong woman doesn’t always have a easy time of it.”

La Cieca swiped Garanca’s fur snood!!!

Better not let Ercole see you in this getup, gurl!

• Will says:

Does a strong woman EVER have an easy time of it?

NO! One is given 10x the amou t of schite a good little woman is, who is spoiled, indulged, coddled and clucked over throughout her beknighted existence. Just saying….

• redbear says:

I know that this forum is entirely the wrong place to think of opera as a serious social/intellectual platform but there is a Holocoust opera recorded yesterday evening in Vienna’s National Assembly. “Spiegelgrund’ by Peter Androsch takes its name from the Viennese hospital where Nazis experimented on children. It is available until Feb. 1 on http://www.sonostream.tv
      Most of you will, of course, prefer to wait for La Straniera with Edita on the 18th.

• La Cieca says:

If Holocaust opera is ever to become truly popular, it will be because its advocates take the trouble to insult and patronize total strangers.

• redbear says:

Apologies all around. I’ll try to avoid posting during an acid reflux attack.

Whyfore ever NOT? That is the state in which most everything is posted herein and I, for one, am thrilled and grateful to learn about the La Straniera, an opera I unashamedly ADORE and know I will never see.

About the holocaust opera—maybe a part of it is that it will be easier to deal with for many, many people, say, a hundred years from now, if EVER. It has only been now 67 years since WWII ended. There are many still alive, or second generation persons directly affected irrevocably by this terrible cataclysm.

It interests me as I had an opportunity to see the opera Brundibar (is that the correct name of it?) and I missed that chance, for which I am not only a little sorry and a tiny bit conscience stricken.
            I should have tried a little harder.

Boy, do I love this ensemble from La Rondine. (Sorry, there’s no Sat broadcast thread).

• DharmaBray says:

Looking forward to listening to the stream again… but “and a new multi-million dollar partnership between Sydney Opera House and Etihad Airways.”???? Really, is there no other news in the world of opera to discuss??

• bassoprofundo says:

Where can one listen to the stream again? I’ve just looked on the WQXR website and haven’t found it.

Don’t miss some of the details about the big NYCO auction posted earlier here on parterre:

A Strong Woman asks: could we have regular podcasts of the Operavore broadcasts? A Feeble Woman would be too worried about bothering busy people with pesky requests.