• Camille: Elina Garanca is a dramatic mezzo? To invoke Leonie, “Was ist das?” Her singing of Amneris would be comparable to... 12:05 PM
  • Camille: Yes, I know very well he was wonderful as Bacchus, as I had that recording of his from 1968-69 onward and played it into... 12:01 PM
  • Camille: It sounds waaaaaaay better here than it did later on, by the time we inherited her Komponist at the Metropolitan. The vibrato... 11:54 AM
  • oscar: Speaking of singers who sang everything at one time or another during the course of their career, our birthday girl Julia Varady:... 11:48 AM
  • Camille: Caftans being as normal in Lebanon as torn leather jackets are/were in the East Village, parkas in Alaska, bikinis in... 11:48 AM
  • messa di voce: Thanks for clarifying. 11:38 AM
  • Camille: One hopes Dorothy Bishop never encounters Renée Fleming in the frozen foods section of Trader Joe’s @ 72nd Street. Bloody... 11:34 AM
  • Camille: The first one worked for me and Sonya did sound fine. Let’s hope it sounds that way in the house. The second one said... 11:28 AM

Snow business

This week on Operavore: “Strong Women of Opera.” Marilyn Horne talks with actress Tyne Daly, we hear Maria Callas in one of her legendary master classes, and La Cieca tells us why “a strong woman doesn’t always have a easy time of it.”

La Cieca swiped Garanca’s fur snood!!!

Better not let Ercole see you in this getup, gurl!

• Will says:

Does a strong woman EVER have an easy time of it?

NO! One is given 10x the amou t of schite a good little woman is, who is spoiled, indulged, coddled and clucked over throughout her beknighted existence. Just saying….

• redbear says:

I know that this forum is entirely the wrong place to think of opera as a serious social/intellectual platform but there is a Holocoust opera recorded yesterday evening in Vienna’s National Assembly. “Spiegelgrund’ by Peter Androsch takes its name from the Viennese hospital where Nazis experimented on children. It is available until Feb. 1 on http://www.sonostream.tv
      Most of you will, of course, prefer to wait for La Straniera with Edita on the 18th.

• La Cieca says:

If Holocaust opera is ever to become truly popular, it will be because its advocates take the trouble to insult and patronize total strangers.

• redbear says:

Apologies all around. I’ll try to avoid posting during an acid reflux attack.

Whyfore ever NOT? That is the state in which most everything is posted herein and I, for one, am thrilled and grateful to learn about the La Straniera, an opera I unashamedly ADORE and know I will never see.

About the holocaust opera—maybe a part of it is that it will be easier to deal with for many, many people, say, a hundred years from now, if EVER. It has only been now 67 years since WWII ended. There are many still alive, or second generation persons directly affected irrevocably by this terrible cataclysm.

It interests me as I had an opportunity to see the opera Brundibar (is that the correct name of it?) and I missed that chance, for which I am not only a little sorry and a tiny bit conscience stricken.
            I should have tried a little harder.

Boy, do I love this ensemble from La Rondine. (Sorry, there’s no Sat broadcast thread).

• DharmaBray says:

Looking forward to listening to the stream again… but “and a new multi-million dollar partnership between Sydney Opera House and Etihad Airways.”???? Really, is there no other news in the world of opera to discuss??

• bassoprofundo says:

Where can one listen to the stream again? I’ve just looked on the WQXR website and haven’t found it.

Don’t miss some of the details about the big NYCO auction posted earlier here on parterre:

A Strong Woman asks: could we have regular podcasts of the Operavore broadcasts? A Feeble Woman would be too worried about bothering busy people with pesky requests.