• Guestoria Unpopularenka: I’m sorry that Papatanasiu is getting all of this negativity. While she does... 6:02 PM
  • gal: I’m not utterly convinced by the idea that light and bright voices are the ones who sound girlish.... 5:56 PM
  • aulus agerius: I wonder if the radio b’cast is 12/6 or 1/10. Both? 5:53 PM
  • MontyNostry: Whoops, I was getting her mixed up with Voulgaridou as Mimì. 5:36 PM
  • spiderman: So much Botox in one Video despit Renee NOT being present! 5:32 PM
  • tannengrin: The continued seasonal popularity of this, well, “work” is a mystery to me. I also... 5:25 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Really makes you want to go, doesn’t it? 4:53 PM
  • Chanterelle: Musetta not Mimi. Another example of the Met’s throw-em-into-Bohe me approach to new... 4:45 PM
  • MontyNostry: It’s not as if there’s a world (or even US) shortage of sopranos who sing Mimì and... 4:31 PM
  • Chanterelle: I heard Papatanasiu sing the title role in ALCINA in Paris last winter. I thought she sounded... 4:15 PM

Found object

Well, you can slash La Cieca’s veins, drink her blood and trample her corpse, because she did not see this one coming! According to the very reliable échotiers over at Forum Opera, Placido Domingo will sing his first Conte di Luna in Vienna Berlin in November of this year opposite the Leonora of Anna Netrebko!

• rcfgodoy says:

I much preferred his Ruiz in ’93

• Maria Malcontent says:

The great thing about the arts is that there is no such thing as rock bottom.

• Maria Malcontent says:

Although I suppose the musical question is whether the can still sing it in key,

• m. croche says:

The bet I made for “Titurel by 2021″ is looking better and better…

• phoenix says:

Domingo, like a true Latin Dictator, will not let go of his power -- only a revolution can bring him down.

• perfidia says:

This is just my opinion, but I find something slightly vampyric about the way he latches on to hot singers. He did it with Cura and Villazon. I’ll keep clutching to my recording of his joint recital with Milnes at the Met to forget what that career has become.

• Rowna says:

So many thoughts re the subject of Mr. Domingo and his new life as a baritone: First, he just can’t let go of his singing career. And he is being helped by those who hire him. If someone offered me let’s say, 10k -- 20k for an evening, why would I turn it down if I knew I could do it, even if I knew it wouldn’t be great? And how many in the audience(s) actually KNOW what singing is about? They are there for an evening of entertainment. Talk about selling out a house -- if we could raise Pavarotti from the dead -- you know those tickets would go in a nano second! And speaking of seconds, while I personally do not care for him as a baritone, I have heard much worse, even at the Met and other big houses.

• kennedet says:

I don’t know you Rowna but if you comment on this website, I’m sure you have more integrity than to sing for big money…. only. Obviously, the world is all about money but I’m grateful that the parterians are about the art form and what that entails,instead of how much they can earn.

I totally agree with your other comments. Domingo sounded like all of the other baritones in Nabucco, IMO and I don’t think he would be at the Met if he initially auditioned as a baritone.

If a singer is offered an engagement, they have every right to take it. It doesn’t have to be a question of money. Domingo has dedicated his life to singing; he may be scared stiff at the idea of living without it.

I agree that his baritone work is underwhelming to say the least, but the problem here is with the people offering the work, not the people taking it.

• kennedet says:

Amerjacquino,if Domingo needs to accept engagements because he is scared of living without singing then he possibly needs some help in accepting his present vocal condition (tenor). I think he is singing baritone because he can’t navigate what is required to sing tenor. Also, I think he is taking advantage of his status as someone commented earlier. Most singers accept that their career is over and move on. Who else could change fachs after a career is over (tenor)and try to make another career with a different voice classification. Personally, i think it makes a mockery of voice training to be classified as two vocal classifications whether you can master another range or not. It confuses the whole concept of voice production…. if you teach or train.

Kennedet, I’m not defending Domingo’s decision to become a baritone, or even his decision to extend his career, for whatever reason. All I’m saying is the very simple point that if work is offered to him he is entirely within his rights to accept it.

• kennedet says:

Fine, armerjacquino. No argument there.

• Personally, i think it makes a mockery of voice training to be classified as two vocal classifications whether you can master another range or not

I would love for you to have a talk, among others with
            Shirley Verrett
            James King
            Lauritz Melchior
            David Daniels
            Gary Lehman

I could go on…

• Rowna says:

Kennedet -- in a perfect world you are so right. I actually do sing for money (not big bucks) but am fortunate enough to have the ability to turn down gigs for which I am not suited. However, many people (not Placido I am sure) need the money to support themselves or their families. Just because they are artists, doesn’t mean they don’t have to pay bills. And let me say from my point of view, it is very, very hard to give up singing when it is the center of your life’s work.

• kennedet says:

Rowna, all of my comments are specifically aimed at Domingo and nobody else. I would not presume to comment on your personal situation.

However, the more we have this conversation, I believe it does center on Domingo giving up his vocal career. It might be the elephant in the room.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Alagna was waxing philosophical in an intervew about when a singer has to stop -- because you’ve reached a time in your life when it’s time to, or your personal resources have diminished that you have to. He mentions those that had to sing in order to live, and didn’t live long after they stopped -- examples like Callas and the tenor Miguel Fleta. Placido is probably in the same category.

• kennedet says:

God forbid that should happen to Domingo, WCO. There are also artists….not only singers… that have stated that their craft is not the only sustenance in their lives or the reason for living and they strive to keep a balance in order to not be too dependent on their craft. This occupation is much too unpredictable to have an addiction. I know that many singers are warned in the beginning of their careers but I can’t speak for those who have had major ones.

However, I think Callas had other issues which led to her demise other than the loss of her voice. Onassis was no picnic, although it happened years before she died.

• Rowna says:

Someday Placido will stop singing. We just don’t know when. I don’t know him personally, but I have heard that among people with large egos, he is in the top tier. There was a Russian basso, who I believe was in his 90′s singing Prince Gremin at a Russian opera house! And he wasn’t awful. I “collect” older singers youtube clips and there are some amazing examples of great singing late in years. You can email me at
            rownarowna@aol.com if you are ever interested in hearing some of my collection :)

• The_Kid says:

@rowna: that was mark reizen, and the following clip proves that he deserved to sing it. deeper voices (contraltos, basso profundos) age much better than their lighter counterparts. maybe that’s the Universe’s way of compensating for the fact that basso/contralto roles aren’t exactly star-makers.

• kennedet says:

What’s your point Lindoro? To hell with voice classification. These are famous singers so it negates my views? Obviously, most of them are dead,therefore that takes care of any communication, but I can tell you that Bumbry and Verrett will always be Mezzos (IMO) who switched to soprano. The fact that they sang soprano roles does not make them soprano. Ask any voice technician you respect.

• Rowna says:

re voice classification -- will always be a topic with wide varieties of opinions from “experts.” however, it should be noted that in Handel’s scores, all high roles were written for “soprano” including Gulio! And in Cav, Santuzza is a soprano. It is now, that print and internet media can make this a compelling topic, for anyone to chime in about, that we are all giving our opinions. Ok, I think Bartoli is a soprano. Who cares? You either love her singing or you don’t! Same with DiDonato and many others. When you sing that well, and are hired to sing a role, no one cares if you are called a mezzo soprano or soprano. Think Zerlina! Successfully sung by Horne and Battle -- how similar are their voices?

• kennedet says:

Rowna,aren’t you a singer? I would hope you care. Assigning the correct classification and developing it correctly can make the difference between saving or destroying a voice. These famous singers that you mention didn’t become great by osmosis. They were trained in a certain classification in order to present the best possible sound. Now,whether they decided to change it later or not is up to them and their vocal coach but they were assuredly given a classification and trained in that range.

You need to add many more zeros to those fees!

• Rowna says:

Ok -- I would like to know . . what do opera stars get per performance here and abroad? I used to know as I worked in the business (early 70s) and my last info was that top stars at the met were paid much higher in europe than here, but they still wanted to sing in NYC. Old info but I don’t think they were paid more than 20k per performance, if that.

• zinka says:

On Placido’s and my birthday on Jan.21, I am sending him a score of FRAU since he will sing all the unborn children (down an octave) next season. ONLY Ramon Vinay,a baritone anyway, did baritone roles at the end of the career.I hate CHEATERS!!!!!!

• zinka says:

Placido’s next role….since he has a GIMMICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bassoprofundo says:

absolutely cringeworthy.

they’ll sell out on account of Netrebko and Domingo will think it’s because of him.

not sure which is worse: him doing this, or Netrebko agreeing to take part in this circus freak show.