• Flora del Rio Grande: Don’t you know he will — and sharp too! 12:16 AM
  • Krunoslav: I mean listen to the damn clip and see if you can’t hear what I mention. I enjoyed the... 11:57 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Kabaivanska sang Tosca tonight at Teatro Reggio di Parma as part of her own 80th... 10:11 PM
  • YigeLi: Not the one discussed with you sometime ago, I think all the recordings of that performance came from... 8:51 PM
  • YigeLi: Regarding the Schwarzkopf-VLL issue: I remember reading it somewhere that ES said her voice was a bit... 8:42 PM
  • armerjacquino: La V: Horne most certainly did do the VLL- the evidence is right there on YouTube. I... 8:34 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: When Gobbi made the sign of the cross at the end of the Te Deum, he did it with a closed... 8:33 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: If that’s the way Frizza conducts Puccini, you can keep him. 8:28 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=6xzn 5xpLazA Courtesy of the GREAT Coloratura fan..My idol…&#... 7:59 PM
  • zinka: What is that about????????????? ??????Galvany was great!!! 7:45 PM

Blind haste

Which recent debut has the Met’s administrators intoxicating themselves with dreams of a return engagement for the budding star in the second cast of one of next season’s new productions?

Julius Rudel’s new auto biography due out in March. I wonder if George Steele will even offer it in his gift shop.

• Maury D says:

I think NYCO is basically two people sitting in a Starbucks with a cell phone these days. Remind me where their gift shop is?

• Nerva Nelli says:

“I think NYCO is basically two people sitting in a Starbucks with a cell phone these days”
        …………..

The cell phone vanished in the Sandy-caused flood despite Steel’s heroic efforts to save it.

Communications now take place via a rotodial Princess Phone salvaged from 1971′s MOST IMPORTANT MAN set.

• bassoprano says:

What gift shop? Is it a kiosk in Union Square?

Kaspar ain’t no Herheim

• Rowna says:

I could only watch a few minutes of this. Tonight I will make my husband watch it (he is such a good sport -- if anyone says anything negative about him expect negative energy your way) so that he can fall asleep really fast. He teaches a late class and comes home around 11 and is usually very energized by his students. Did someone in the PR dept dream this up or was it a rival company hidden behind those columns . . .

• Buster says:

Opolais sharing Rusalka with Fleming?

• Rowna says:

Since you said NEW production, I think Russalka is going to be the old one -- but isn’t there going to be a new Onegin? (Please dear god, i hated the old one). I would love to hear Bryan Hymel as Lenski. Just sayin . . .

…isn’t there going to be a new Onegin? (Please dear god, i hated the old one

Hmmm Rowna, be careful what you wish for! A little bird is telling me you might regret what you just said!

• Rowna says:

I hated the old production because it was so spare -- no sets, backdrops and hardly any props -- not even a chandelier, just chairs and dead leaves. Unless they place this Onegin in Guantanamo or some other silly regie thingy (you see I am way up there on my vocabulary) I think it will be an improvement. What info do you have, oedipe????

Well, I have no specific info, but since you say you disliked Carsen’s staging (which, personally, I find very elegant) and having some familiarity with Deborah Warner’s work, I think you might not like it.

• Rowna says:

I don’t know Deborah Warner at all. That production did have elegance, but this was my 60th birthday present to myself -- a trip to NY, orchestra seats, Renee, Dimitri, Vargas and Tchaikovsky’s most beautiful opera (IMHO). So, as the opera progressed, I somehow felt cheated. It was my first time back at the met in years. I was looking forward to a lush set . . .

• drewco says:

I should first confess I’ve always loved the Carsen production. I saw the Warner production at ENO and didn’t care for it at all. The physical production was strange. Act One was set in a barn (yes, Tatiana wrote her letter and went to “bed” in the hay). The Act Two sets were fairly conventional looking, but the duel was very clunkily staged. (For one thing, they were dueling with rifles, not pistols, which caused some audience members to titter.) The action of both scenes of Act Three (ballroom; then street scene, not Gremin’s house, for some reason) was obscured by a colonnade running along the rim of the stage, so the singers played peek-a-boo with the audience. Overall, I didn’t think she “blocked” the singers in a particularly interesting way either. (Of the singers, Toby Spence was a wonderful Lenski.) So I’m looking forward to Netrebko-Kwiecen-Polenzani, but not much else.

• Regina delle fate says:

The Warner staging is startlingly traditional, certainly more so than Carsen’s. it has its moments of intelligent Personenregie, but it was hampered in London by Amanda Echalaz’s odd Tatyana and an under cast Eugene. The London reviews ranged from “conventional” to “revelatory”. Actually it was neither but it is certainly a more old-fashioned show than Carsen’s. The Met patrons who hated Carsen will probably be happy, but I’m expecting a barrage of Fucking Brit-crits on here. Ms Warner is no Herheim, either.

• La Cieca says:

The London reviews ranged from “conventional” to “revelatory”

In other words, it was directed by Deborah Warner.

This production has already opened at ENO so you can get all the information you want.

• Rowna says:

Thank you armerjacquino! I don’t keep up on these things. My poor little brain is on overdrive memorizing lyrics for 2 upcoming concerts. I sing mainly in Hebrew, which I understand, but am not fluent in. (For anyone interested, I am skilled at “siddur” Hebrew.) I am always awed by the language skills opera singers today MUST have to be out in the public. Native English speakers have the biggest challenge.

Really? I love Carsen’s Onegin. And I don’t think Lenski is high-lying enough to show off the best part of Hymel’s voice. I want to hear him as Arturo and De Grieux (especially the Massenet).

Kashania,

Des Grieux is not a very high-lying part; it requires an ample, warm, and nuanced middle register, which is not Hymel’s forte. Hymel should sing Rossini (Tell especially) and more Meyerbeer, not Massenet.

Isn’t Polenzani going to be playing Lensky?

• operapun says:

@Cocky Kurwenal
    To gauge the New York audience’s response?

• operapun says:

@Poison Ivy
    I am not hostile to the idea of Opolais becoming a Met regular.
    I have nothing against Kristine Opolais the singer or the person.
    I think my comments about this were pretty clear. I am surprised that the Met are jumping into these decisions so quickly.

The comment I made about waiting to see the end of the run is to see how the New York audience responds to Opolais.
    From a practical and bottom line standpoint, is Opolais going to sell tickets?
    A lot of great opera singers and directors have “international” success but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the temperamental New York or American audiences will like them or even attend those performances.
    I didn’t write the following article but I pretty much agree with what’s said there.

• Poison Ivy says:

This writer lost me when he wrote: “it would be an awful loss if their virtues displaced the Levine characteristics I mentioned above — warmth, attention to beautiful sound per se, and Americanness — in this aspect of opera as well.”

I have no fucking idea what this writer is talking about.

• antikitschychick says:

while I don’t think this blind item is about her, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to hear/see Liudmyla Monastyrska again in anything at the Met or elsewhere!!! Her voice is FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC and I find her to be a true revelation…her future is bright as far as I am concerned, not just because she has a large voice but because she wields it with precision and good musicianship. She also has a nice tone and a good lower register…why doesn’t this woman have a record deal??? Seriously, who can sing Verdi the way she can now a days??
    Does anyone have any info on whether she will be essaying more roles here in the future??? If so, please share :-P