• Flora del Rio Grande: Well done, Gualtier. Thank you. I had forgot about the Goerke-Soviero tuition, and yes... 5:08 PM
  • Maury D: Death in Venice or: the only opera that has ever given me a non-metaphorical headache. 5:01 PM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Yes, aulus, it was Agrippina! I agree with you about that season and several others... 4:48 PM
  • marshiemarkII: what’s wrong with “flattenR 21; as in lay them supine with pleasure, carisssima... 4:45 PM
  • manou: It’s the “flattenR 21; that bothers me – surely that can’t be the aim? 4:36 PM
  • marshiemarkII: “If she is wearing silk and satin she can flatten any Latin…” Now that’s definitely my... 4:17 PM
  • marshiemarkII: My beloveds all, the gurl shall be back next week, that I promise! hugs to all :-P 4:09 PM
  • Clita del Toro: Today my partner, Mike forced me to buy tickets for four operas at LOC this season: 6... 4:02 PM
  • Gualtier M: I have several times wanted to throw my panties onstage during performances of “Hansel und... 3:53 PM
  • Henry Holland: Thanks so much for posting that JML, a terrific performance. I really liked the conducing and... 3:52 PM

The chat with nine lives

Thanks for your feedback, cher public. La Cieca has implemented the new chat software with your suggestions at La Casa della Cieca, which will officially relaunch Thursday, January 17, at 7:25 PM for Le Comte Ory from the Met. And don’t forget Saturday, January 18 at 12;30 PM, the premiere of Operavore (featuring a certain little-known doyenne) followed by Maria Stuarda!

What is that green thingey with a pink tongue up above?
    Me so scared. EEEEEKK!!!!! Mamma Cieca, protect me!!!!

It crashed my browser and diacriticals don’t work in the chat
    Théâtre -- they work here.

• A. Poggia Turra says:

Apologies if this has already been posted, but Arte LiveWeb is streaming a Cav and Pag from l’Opera Royal de Wallonie in Liege (filmed on January 3rd) with Jose Cura:

• rossifigaro says:

quite a good interesting production, don’t you think?
      was the sound enhanced? -- i’m curious about those little microphone like “buds” close to the performers ears. i’ve seen these things in other productions and i have never been sure of their purpose. and as presented on arte there was seemingly no interval between the operas -- i wonder if this is the way it was indeed done in liege. the characterizations very interesting and loved the carry over from cav to pag. its always interesting to hear who is going to sing the final phase but who would have thought??? very effective.
      wondering if all the wallonie productions will be on arte? do so miss the live presentations.

• A. Poggia Turra says:

rossifigaro -- AFAIK the mini-mics are strictly there for the video sound feed. It’s always interesting on DVDs to see where they place the mic -- sometimes if the singer has an elaborate wig they place it on the forehead, on the hairline. Other times it’s further from the singer’s face, I remember on the Salzburg Fledermaus, Jerry hadley has it attached to his calf (on the La Scala Lohengrin, during the bows I thought I spotted a mic on the back of Jonas’ neck, but I could be wrong about that one).

As for enhancement, my guess is that the size of most houses in Belgium probably makes enhancing unnecessary, but one never knows!

I know that ORW has done live internet feeds in the past; I watched their Barbierie with Sumi Jo live on the ‘Net a while back. La Monnaie/Die Munt streams all of their season’s productions, but on a delayed basis (I thionk they make the stream available just after the last performance, for one month. Last month’s Andrea Breth ‘Traviata’ was shown live, but on Arte LiveWeb (it’s still viewable over at ALW).
        s

• shoegirl says:

You’re right on La Monnaie -- they make streams available for 3 weeks after the performance, but I think the initial stream isn’t *quite* the final stream -- they might record from different nights? Not sure.

They’d a really good Lulu last Oct/Nov and a sort of interesting Traviata in a brothel at Christmas, if I remember correctly. They do it quite nicely too.

• bluecabochon says:

I just finished watching it and enjoyed it very much. Good ideas all around, well filmed, and lots of wonderful directorial details. Good acting from the cast, supporting the verismo style perfectly. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Sick of reading about Angela Meade !

• La Cieca says:

“Canard!”

• bassoprofundo says:

Quanto Painy, I’m not understanding what you mean--perhaps you could attach a completely irrelevant YouTube video to express more eloquently your dissatisfaction.

• shoegirl says:

They are still raving about her here after Wexford. Any number of singers could come and be ignored (indeed one did, last November, due to picking a bad date and clash with a Cosi opening), but she’d fill 3 or 4 National Concert Halls twice over.

• Feldmarschallin says:

ok now I got into this chat and it was through mozilla firefox. Internet Explorer would not let me get in. Trying if I can post something.

Works fine for me! Thank you, la cieca.

And, in fact, unlike the old chat window it remains open when the page is refreshed, so it’s possible to comment in the comments thread from the same window as the chat. Brava.

• lucy brown says:

Won’t it let us log on the usual way?

• Rowna says:

I just tried it and I like it. Although it said “5 viewers” no one commented on my content. And here I thought I was so clever with my choice of words. Hope this works. Was very easy

• Ilka Saro says:

I saw Maria Stuarda last night (1/12). I loved it.

I know a lot of people don’t care for Elza van den Heever’s singing, but I thought she sang quite well. There was a lot of comment on how she moved, though. It took a little adjusting to accept her physical presence, but for me it didn’t detract from a very interesting musical performance. Among the many odd physical traits, she limped, she leaned on furniture, and she spent a lot of time with her left hand on her lower back, as though she were in pain. I just dug a little bit around the internet, and someone said that her limping was actually on direction from David McVicar. True?

• DonCarloFanatic says:

Is my comment above about the open ID nature of this chat correct, or does this mean that once signed into Parterre, using my Parterre name signs me into the chat?

This is too much to ask my head on a Sunday morning.

You could log into the old Casa della Cieca under any name you wanted, too.

• La Cieca says:

When you click on “Click here to join the conversation,” you are given a choice of login methods. “Guest” is the equivalent of the login for the old version of the chat; that is, you choose your own screen name but no other information about you is visible. It is also possible to log in using your Facebook or Twitter accounts, but obviously there your real name and other information will be publicly available to others who are chatting.

The icons across the top, in order, are:

“Pause/scroll window” — that is, you can choose to have the messages scroll up each time a new message is posted, or else you can stay on the same message. I would think this is most applicable when there’s a long message or a media clip posted and you want to take a long look at it. In general, you could leave this on “scroll.”

“Clear conversation window” -- this clears your window of conversations, but does not erase the chat for anyone else.

“Pop out chat” -- opens a new window with a larger version of the chat interface. This window floats over whatever else is on your desktop; so it would be handy if you were doing other work or watching a streaming video, for example. (Also, the popout window has no scrollling ads so it may be less visually distracting.)

“Sound effects on/off” You will most likely want this “off” since the default is to make a little popping sound each time a new message is posted.

“QR Code” -- This displays a QR symbol that you can scan with your mobile device, starting a display of the chat in your phone or tablet. (If you’re planning on doing this, let me know and I’ll point you toward more complete instructions.)

“Logout” logs you out and lets the rest of the people in the room know you are no longer present.