• Poison Ivy: “Racette, Dasch, Merbeth and Racette.” You’re not mean there are two soprano Racettes on the scene today? 1:57 PM
  • Porgy Amor: Agreed on Magee, PCally. I sometimes have found her frustrating in that everything seems to be there for her to be a bigger... 1:55 PM
  • armerjacquino: “I don’t think there was anything strange in Wilson’s reaction to the parterre review” Um, I’d say there... 1:41 PM
  • NPW-Paris: The Villa Igiea was a shabby but comfortable hotel too, only I imagine it’s been tarted up a great deal since I was there. 1:40 PM
  • PCally: I rather like Magee. I think she’s a fine Tosca and that her Ariadne from Zurich was absolutely sublime in every way. In the... 1:38 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Just for the record, at the Teatro Massimo I saw Maria Stuarda. Conductor: Fabrizio Maria Carminati. Production, sets, costumes... 1:36 PM
  • NPW-Paris: And that Roman Villa in the middle of the island with acres of mosaic floors… 1:34 PM
  • danpatter: It ran for 205 performances, certainly not the worst outing on Broadway, and according to Wikipedia did turn a small profit. I... 1:26 PM

Ed io quest’Angela osava maledir!

Angela Meade will sing the role of Leonora in tomorrow afternoon’s performance of Verdi’s Il Trovatore, replacing Patricia Racette, who is ill. The performance will be broadcast worldwide over the Toll Brothers-Metropolitan Opera Radio Network. As previously scheduled, Meade will also sing the role on Wednesday, January 16.” So saith the Met press office.

• Clita del Toro says:

Good news!

• peter says:

Wow! As much as I like Racette, Leonora is not a great role for her. I’m looking forward to hearing Meade in this role. Of course, the effete knives are being sharpened as we speak.

• Best wishes for a fast recovery to Racette. This flu season is quite bad. Also a big in boca al lupo to Angela Meade.

• perfidia says:

That is good news indeed. I just listened to Meade’s Elena on BBC3, and I thought she was fabulous, if not the most incisive reading of the text (Callas ultimately destructive fearlessness has pretty much spoiled me). But Meade did pretty much everything the music asked her. I love Racette for her commitment, and in the right work she can be quite fab, but Leonora is a case of chewing more than you can swallow.

• Clita del Toro says:

I am not crazy about her D’amor.

• Clita del Toro says:

I mean Meade’s

• perfidia says:

I am not crazy about it either. She tries to finesse it too much, and sometimes it works. I like how she doesn’t lunge at some of the high notes and keeps them within the line. But she does love to show her breath control, and sometimes it makes her sound cautious, and the end of the phrases drops a bit. She also almost makes that ascent before the cadenza work. Most sopranos modify it because it’s just too high. And I’d agree with some posters who have said the timbre is not very glamorous, but she makes up for it with sheer technical competency. That stretch of music from “D’amor” through “Tu vedrai” is really exciting when delivered by a voice who can fulfill all the requirements Verdi set up for the performer (although I wish she had done the repeat for “Tu vedrai.” I heard a tape of Sutherland doing this whole scene in Australia, and by the time she finished the repeat I was laughing in disbelief. It was like listening to the whole part of Lucia in about 20 minutes. Nevertheless, a million times her (for me) than Racette’s committed approximation.

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

Should’ve been first-cast, absolutely a natural fit for her gifts.

• kraneled says:

The right voice for the part, technically very good. The timbre, not too special, BUT there is a lot of bad taste especially in the first part: if you have chosen a tempo, you have to sing it the way the composer wanted it to be sung, too many rallentandos and “special effects” which doesn’t serve the score of VERDI. He is a classical composer and not PUCCINI. so many mannerism in the wrong place. I wish she could work with muti or abbado or serafin (r.i.p.) to learn what is the right style, otherwise it is kitsch, sorry!

• itrinkkeinwein says:

Good point. Collaboration with Muti would help her.

Abbado, as far as I know, has never performed a Verdi opera written before “Simon Boccanegra” (1857), with the exception of “Macbeth.”

• bassoprofundo says:

God help you Patricia Racette if you’ve given your illness to Markov!!!!!!!

• RosinaLeckermaul says:

Well, I was at TROVATORE Tuesday night. Racette was having trouble with her top notes. Markov is handsome and sang “Il Balen” well, but was drowned out in all the duets and ensembles. It simply is not a big enough voice for TROVATORE at the Met. At least the sounds he makes aren’t ugly, like those BertI makes (shades of Gianni Poggi). Tuesday Blythe was the only person who seemed to belong in a first rate TROVATORE cast.

• Eric says:

Heh, Rosina, I just came back from the matinee and I completely agree that (a) Markov is handsome but underpowered and (b) Berti was making some ugly sounds.

• stignanispawn says:

Agreed — Alexey Markov is one of the singers I always make sure I see/hear whenever he performs in New York. Alexey is the real thing.

I saw Markov in a recital back in 2005 and thought he was terrific. So pleased to see he is making it big. Will definitely listen in (and I find Meade easier on the ear than Racette).

• papopera says:

Interesting. But listen tomorrow before you start annihilating Madame Meade.

• zinka says:

GREAT!!!i see her Wednesday….Good for her…Racette is so bad these days….

• Gualtier M says:

Racette is not a kid any more and has been stretching her voice for a decade. However back in the late nineties, Charlie, she had a lovely even voice. I loved her in “Emmeline” and “Peter Grimes”.

• zinka says:

i used to like Racette a lot..but the dumb Met uses her instead of Latonia Moore, Giuliana di Giacomo,etc.

And Chenier next year????????

• perfidia says:

The Met is stuck with that stupid casting three years in advance system. True most houses are stuck with that system too, but when they notice a new talent like di Giacomo they are probably able to offer them parts that are artistically more interesting and financially more rewarding than the Met can. There are only so many HD telecasts to go around. The Met get the best talents still. They are just not willing to commit to the house the way people like Tebaldi, Milanov and Corelli did in the past.

• Simon Blackmouth says:

I agree. I saw her in Emmeline and thought she was amazing.

• Sempre liberal says:

Sing it, Angela!
    Can’t wait to hear you!

And get well, Patricia.

• phoenix says:

I liked them both as the Trovatore Leonora: Meade in the Spanish performance broadcast on Radio Clásica de España earlier this year and Racette at the Met in 2010. I have heard some disastrous performances of that role (some at the Met) over the last 50 years but I found both Meade & Racette both quite accomplished -- maybe I’m not fussy enough?

Racette must be really under the weather to cancel a broadcast. Feel better soon kido.

• guy pacifica says:

Happy news — though I’m sorry to hear that Patricia Racette is out ill. There’s a lot of nasty stuff out there. I heard Angela Meade sing Trovatore out here on the western fringes a couple years ago. Here voice is heavier now, but judging from the Vesperi recording, she still has the necessary freshness for top of Leonora. I love how those notes just unfurl.

• Feldmarschallin says:

I will let someone else who can say it better say it:

• LittleMasterMiles says:

I’m looking forward to the broadcast, but I’m wondering whether La Casa de la Cieca will be open (or if one should think twice before going)—Homeland Security is recommending we all disable Java, the plug-in that La Casa uses. Can anyone out there more tech-savvy than I shed more light on this?

• havfruen says:

The Java mess is indeed a cause for concern. I don’t know any good ways to work around it. Several tech-savvy friends have suggested that it shouldn’t be a problem if you run Linux on your computer. I am opting out myself. We’ll just have to confine ourselves to the comments page I guess.

• Jack Jikes says: has a good how-to.

• phoenix says:

That Acrobat Java malware has been going around for a couple of months now. Six weeks ago it slowed down one of my 4 computers to a near standstill (I was too lazy to do anything about fixing it).

At the risk of infuriating half the posters here, I can reassure the other half- this is not an issue for Mac users.

• La Cieca says:

For the moment, La Cieca has deactivated the chat function as a precaution. The Saturday afternoon discussion may continue here.

• chicago mark says:

EVA LIND will make her Chicago debut in recital this Friday, January 18th , 7:30 PM at DANK Haus, 4740 N Western Avenue, just off the Lawrence, Western and Lincoln intersection.

This is a benefit performance for education in Eyiakrom/Ghana.

Ms Lind’s appearance is generously sponsored by the Austrian Consulate of Chicago as the Consul and his wife will be in attendance.

Admission is $40.00 (keep reading for special offer) and includes and open bar(!) consisting of beer, wine, soft drinks and coffee.

The program consists of arias and songs of Mozart, Lehar and J. Strauss. Also included are songs of Zeller, Stolz, and J. Strauss.

Mentioning “Chicago Mark Parterre Box” entitles you to $10.00 off at the door.

More information is included on above referenced sites including a phone number on the consulate site.

Or feel free to contact me via e-mail.

Many Thanks,
    Chicago Mark

• blanchette says:

armerj- are you sure about mac’s? I am so ignorant about how my computer works and would hate to get into trouble..please reply if you see this- thx

It’s as LMM says above. If you’ve kept up with your OS updates then the vulnerable versions of Java will have been automatically disabled by Apple.

• stignanispawn says:

Curious about remarks that Alexey Markov was overpowered at the Trovatore performances attended by various PB folks. I have always been impressed by both the “quality” and “quantity” of his voice in the various performances I’ve heard at the Met and at Carnegie Hall. Makes me more anxious to get to the Met this week.

• All-knowing Earth Goddess says:

I was at the Saturday matinee with Meade. Yes, the voice could use some more color, but everything else is really fabulous. Leonora comes right out of the bel canto tradition and P. Racette does not have the vocal control /technical preparation for Leonora.

• Saw the Wednesday night performance. Came down with stomach cramps which sidelined me for a couple of days--absolutely NOTHING to do with the singing. Review on Superconductor.