• Hans Lick: In Trousers By John Yohalem Stella Nemica Infausta Rare Italian Arias for Mezzo-Soprano “You’re... 2:16 AM
  • Lindoro Almaviva: Pieczonka also got maria Callas’ jewels made by Swarovski for her way back then. 2:03 AM
  • Sanford: Viola Dsvis’s show is riveting and she plays the most complex character on TV. And in the two... 1:41 AM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Don’t you know he will — and sharp too! 12:16 AM
  • Krunoslav: I mean listen to the damn clip and see if you can’t hear what I mention. I enjoyed the... 11:57 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Kabaivanska sang Tosca tonight at Teatro Reggio di Parma as part of her own 80th... 10:11 PM
  • YigeLi: Not the one discussed with you sometime ago, I think all the recordings of that performance came from... 8:51 PM
  • YigeLi: Regarding the Schwarzkopf-VLL issue: I remember reading it somewhere that ES said her voice was a bit... 8:42 PM
  • armerjacquino: La V: Horne most certainly did do the VLL- the evidence is right there on YouTube. I... 8:34 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: When Gobbi made the sign of the cross at the end of the Te Deum, he did it with a closed... 8:33 PM

Ed io quest’Angela osava maledir!

Angela Meade will sing the role of Leonora in tomorrow afternoon’s performance of Verdi’s Il Trovatore, replacing Patricia Racette, who is ill. The performance will be broadcast worldwide over the Toll Brothers-Metropolitan Opera Radio Network. As previously scheduled, Meade will also sing the role on Wednesday, January 16.” So saith the Met press office.

• phoenix says:

I liked them both as the Trovatore Leonora: Meade in the Spanish performance broadcast on Radio Clásica de España earlier this year and Racette at the Met in 2010. I have heard some disastrous performances of that role (some at the Met) over the last 50 years but I found both Meade & Racette both quite accomplished -- maybe I’m not fussy enough?

Racette must be really under the weather to cancel a broadcast. Feel better soon kido.

• guy pacifica says:

Happy news — though I’m sorry to hear that Patricia Racette is out ill. There’s a lot of nasty stuff out there. I heard Angela Meade sing Trovatore out here on the western fringes a couple years ago. Here voice is heavier now, but judging from the Vesperi recording, she still has the necessary freshness for top of Leonora. I love how those notes just unfurl.

• Feldmarschallin says:

I will let someone else who can say it better say it:

• LittleMasterMiles says:

I’m looking forward to the broadcast, but I’m wondering whether La Casa de la Cieca will be open (or if one should think twice before going)—Homeland Security is recommending we all disable Java, the plug-in that La Casa uses. Can anyone out there more tech-savvy than I shed more light on this?

• havfruen says:

The Java mess is indeed a cause for concern. I don’t know any good ways to work around it. Several tech-savvy friends have suggested that it shouldn’t be a problem if you run Linux on your computer. I am opting out myself. We’ll just have to confine ourselves to the comments page I guess.

• Jack Jikes says:

PCMag.com has a good how-to.

• phoenix says:

That Acrobat Java malware has been going around for a couple of months now. Six weeks ago it slowed down one of my 4 computers to a near standstill (I was too lazy to do anything about fixing it).

At the risk of infuriating half the posters here, I can reassure the other half- this is not an issue for Mac users.

• La Cieca says:

For the moment, La Cieca has deactivated the chat function as a precaution. The Saturday afternoon discussion may continue here.

• chicago mark says:

EVA LIND will make her Chicago debut in recital this Friday, January 18th , 7:30 PM at DANK Haus, 4740 N Western Avenue, just off the Lawrence, Western and Lincoln intersection.

This is a benefit performance for education in Eyiakrom/Ghana.

Ms Lind’s appearance is generously sponsored by the Austrian Consulate of Chicago as the Consul and his wife will be in attendance.

Admission is $40.00 (keep reading for special offer) and includes and open bar(!) consisting of beer, wine, soft drinks and coffee.

The program consists of arias and songs of Mozart, Lehar and J. Strauss. Also included are songs of Zeller, Stolz, and J. Strauss.

Mentioning “Chicago Mark Parterre Box” entitles you to $10.00 off at the door.

More information is included on above referenced sites including a phone number on the consulate site.

Or feel free to contact me via e-mail.

Many Thanks,
    Chicago Mark

• blanchette says:

armerj- are you sure about mac’s? I am so ignorant about how my computer works and would hate to get into trouble..please reply if you see this- thx

It’s as LMM says above. If you’ve kept up with your OS updates then the vulnerable versions of Java will have been automatically disabled by Apple.

• stignanispawn says:

Curious about remarks that Alexey Markov was overpowered at the Trovatore performances attended by various PB folks. I have always been impressed by both the “quality” and “quantity” of his voice in the various performances I’ve heard at the Met and at Carnegie Hall. Makes me more anxious to get to the Met this week.

• All-knowing Earth Goddess says:

I was at the Saturday matinee with Meade. Yes, the voice could use some more color, but everything else is really fabulous. Leonora comes right out of the bel canto tradition and P. Racette does not have the vocal control /technical preparation for Leonora.

• Saw the Wednesday night performance. Came down with stomach cramps which sidelined me for a couple of days--absolutely NOTHING to do with the singing. Review on Superconductor.