• Batty Masetto: Happy Thanksgiving, US Parterrians! After your dinner guests have listened to three or four complete recordings of Die... 10:52 AM
  • antikitschychick: Happy Thanksgiving all! :-) xoxo Am really looking forward to this saturday :-). Thought there would be a radio... 10:38 AM
  • lorenzo.venezia: Carissima Signora Claggart, since I wrote many of the things that mightily offended you, I must clarify the intent... 10:23 AM
  • grimoaldo: “As horrific as Wagner’s writings are, there is absolutely no reason to think that he would have been a Nazi”... 7:53 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: I wasn’t going to comment on this thread because it’s full of the usual cliches. But here goes (and yes,... 7:15 AM
  • PCally: I think she’s one of the few things I like about that recording. I also think she’s a sensationaly girlish poppea and... 6:39 AM
  • Krunoslav: httpv://www.youtub -BQQZwM httpv://www.youtub fhkHheg httpv://www.youtub 6:26 AM
  • Porgy Amor: Quite topically, she was one of the great Evas in the Meistersinger discography (Karajan/Dresden). 5:48 AM

Fire and Ice

“Don’t listen to a Romanian man who says he prefers a ‘natural’ woman,” says Gheorghiu. “He might think he likes a woman without any makeup, but what does he know? With a little mascara and red lipstick, trust me, he will like you even more!” [More Magazine]

• tannengrin says:

Ah, almost operatic the scale of inner conflict when More -- the magazine for women of style and substance -- lets Draculette expound the virtues of mascara and lipstick…unless, make-up is the substance they’re really concerned with.

btw -- the picture, is that the final scene from the “Tosca im Freibad” production at Bregenz? Looks divine!

tannegrin -- that image was from last year’s poster campaign for the Royal Opera House.Presumably it was meant to tie in with the Olympics — champion diva and all that. I dread to think how much the photoshoot cost and most people wouldn’t have had the faintest idea who had posed for it. At least the Met poster campaign focuses on the artists’ faces, though it has to be said that Ange has great boobs.

• Hans Lick says:

… not sure I’d stand QUITE SO CLOSE TO THE EDGE in a very high wind in that outfit. Just sayin’.

Well, ANOTHER great reason I am not a diva, eh?

God bless Gherghiu, who is practically single-handedly keeping the myth of the diva alive!

She has the personality, even if the voice doesn’t quite have the oomph to go with it.

“Angie hat recht getan!!!!!!”

She is RIGHT!
    Go girl, and that foto is FAVOLOSO!

• grimoaldo says:

how wonderful

Meanwhile…(Sunday in NYC):

Is that Alagna’s daughter? I have to say that Ange is better looking than Alexandra.

No, that’s his gorgeous manager (as well as sista), who seems quite happy with Aleksandra, BTW. He does too…

No, it is his sister Marinella -- very beautiful and excellent person.

• diva2themax says:

I still can’t believe that it finally happened. They’ve broken up & yes Angie is much better looking, but sometimes it’s not about looks. Hopefully she moves on w/ some super hunk lol.

• bluecabochon says:

Wow, what a hairline on the new GF. That’s a real widow’s peak…

• Clita del Toro says:

Less might be more in some cases, but in this case, More is less.

zzzzzz gimme a break, what BS

• diva2themax says:

I love her. Always will & totally agree with her. Natural “beauty” is for the birds. Bring on the liquid liner & false lashes!

• The Vicar of John Wakefield says:

Our Own Joan Cross and Margaret Ritchie--no nonsense about them!--never resorted to cheap paint and tawdry publicity stunts.

Sorry to hear.

Although probably inevitable given the pressures of their life together, it is always sad to hear of the end of a marriage, particularly one which was blessed by Hizonor Giuliani, Himself, and one which has held together for more than ten years.

I guess fairy tales really do not come true.

Here is some more material for Intermezzo to gossip about: Roberto with Aleksandra and Mama Kurzak (the lyric soprano Jolanta Zmurko). A proposal is in the air…?

But seriously, does gossip HAVE to be ignorant and inaccurate? After that very misleading piece she wrote about the Met bond issue, after having spread false rumors about Gheorghiu’s age because she misunderstood a term concerning the Romanian school system, now Intermezzo strikes again!

Alagna has “not wasted any time in moving on”? Really sweetheart? After trying for 6 WHOLE YEARS to mend a marriage that has been on the rocks for that long? How many men does she know who are willing to do that? It’s no secret (at least if one is based in France) that there have been other relationships but, maybe because of his catholic upbringing, Alagna has stuck to the hope of saving a marriage which meant so much to him. I think the crisis he went through last summer did him in: what’s a marriage good for if you are alone at such a difficult time (for 2 months, all those scary rumors about his health, the anguish about the future, a performance to be broadcast on prime-time TV with millions of euros at stake and not knowing if you will make it, the blogosphere going ballistic…)?

And then the smart-ass “Mr. Gheorghiu” remark, implying, I suppose, that Alagna is not “macho” enough for her taste, too sweet and gentle; or maybe criticizing the fact that he likes accomplished women with strong personalities. Frankly, sometimes I feel that SOME WOMEN deserve to be treated like shit by “macho” men! Well, I have news for Intermezzo: the Kurzak “chick” is no birdbrain, she has a Ph.D. in music.

End of rant. (I occasionally get tired of idiot bloggers using artists as dartboards.)

• Rusalka says:

Oedipe, I can understand that every action of Mr. Roberto Alagna is advocated by you and I have no problem with this.

What bothers me, however, is this:
        ” Frankly, sometimes I feel that SOME WOMEN deserve to be treated like shit by “macho” men!“ Who are THAT SOME WOMEN, Intermezzo, Angela, idiot blogers or someone else? And why? For me is unacceptable to make such comment to any of the woman.

They’ve had a good run together -- twice over.

• casualoperafan says:

This is the second hint I have read online (see the comments section on artjournal…) that this is their SECOND divorce…

Is this their actually first divorce or did they divorce and remarry and this is their second divorce?

The same comment on the other site mentioned her health problems, another thing I had never heard tell of, although if true it could explain the cancellations.

Posting those photos on his Facebook site on Dec 30th may have actually sealed the deal.

• Here’s the Superconductor coverage of the story with some early “love couple” history. At least I can stop using the phrase “Love Couple.” Whoopsy.

• Lady Abbado says:

Three days ago somebody posted on youtube, for the first time, The Cherry Duet Angela and Roberto sang at their marriage ceremony at the MET in 1996. Enjoy!