• mrsjohnclaggart: I wasn’t going to comment on this thread because it’s full of the usual cliches. But here goes (and yes,... 7:15 AM
  • PCally: I think she’s one of the few things I like about that recording. I also think she’s a sensationaly girlish poppea and... 6:39 AM
  • Krunoslav: httpv://www.youtub -BQQZwM httpv://www.youtub fhkHheg httpv://www.youtub 6:26 AM
  • Porgy Amor: Quite topically, she was one of the great Evas in the Meistersinger discography (Karajan/Dresden). 5:48 AM
  • Krunoslav: I heard Helen Donath in April sing Mrs. Grose (TURN OF THE SCREW) in Köln – she was outstanding, sounding completely... 5:41 AM
  • PCally: Had no idea she was still singing. I guiltily admit that I’m rather unfamiliar with most of her work, outside some opera... 4:50 AM
  • redbear: There was an old BBC series shown on PBS, “The Story of English.” I remember regional speakers had (very necessary)... 3:07 AM
  • Krunoslav: In truth, an impressive list: 5 Elektra: Orest [Bailey, Norman] 7 Elektra: Orest [Cassel, Walter] 14 Elektra: Orest [Dooley,... 2:53 AM

Be very afraid

Turn of the Screw is an incredibly frightening ghost story really at the heart of it but with a very modern edge. It’s being directed by a guy who’s an ’80s horror film fanatic [Sam Buntrock]. It’s not a season for the opera insiders. It’s the season for everyone in New York.” [Huffington Post]

• Ilka Saro says:

On the one hand, I want to take a “wait and see” attitude. It could be a good production. On the other hand, what the hell is Steele talking about? The murky implication that Steele wants to reverse some kind of elitist history of NYC “Screws” is bizarre.

But also, I am genuinely curious, what defines 80′s horror films and defines an 80′s fanatic as different than, say, a 60′s horror film fanatic?

• Pelleas says:

Well, the 80s is remembered as kind of the heyday of the slasher flick (though they really started earlier). Lots of blood, lots of teenagers getting offed for doing teenage things like having sex and getting wasted, lots of sequels.

There probably isn’t too much but level of film technology distinguishing one decade’s horror films from another, though at the time everyone remarked on the genre making a big comeback, and lots of connections were seen to public anxiety over HIV.

I was a big fan when I was an 80s teen.

• Ilka Saro says:

I think it was 1976 when I and some friends drove in the exit of drive-in (to avoid paying admission) and watched the first 40 minutes or so of Texas Chain Saw Massacre. We fled!

• Signor Bruschino says:

If Turn is successful, do they plan to in an, 80 horror films sort of way, plan sequel after sequel after sequel? There are only so many times a screw can turn

• damekenneth says:

I don’t know precisely what Mr. Buntrock (great name!) has in mind for this “Screw,” but he certainly worked a treat with the recent Broadway revival of Sunday in the Park with George. That wonderful and vivid production, which originated at the Menier Chocolate in London, was riveting, as much for the performances he drew from the performers as from the vivid animation he created to represent George Seurat’s studies and sketches. Seemed like the work of a very mature director to me. And, I love the Britten piece. Now, do I wish to reward Mr. Steele with my dollars?

• tannengrin says:

What’s the trouble with George? Every time I read an interview with him, I end up rolling my eyes. It’s not that what he’s saying is so bad or wrong, it just always sounds very contrived and forced instead of genuine and straightforward.

I do love that the HuffPo (in the slideshow at the bottom) casts David Cushing as ‘Mose in “Powder Her Face”‘. That give that whole opera a very ‘Ten Commandments / Charlton Heston & Anne Baxter’ flava

• Porpora says:

Genuine and straightforward isn’t George’s forte. PR is. If it reads as false, well…perhaps it is.

If the Turn of the Screw is reall Steels “favorite” opera -- be very much affraid indeed. This guy gives me the creeps. Where did Steele learn Mose for it to be his “favorite Rossini opera”? Why did he not even have the courtesy to mention the Screwy director by name? He does not give a damn about the New York City Opera.

• cosmodimontevergine says:

I toss and turn at night trying to figure out what Italian opera “Quanto Painy Fakor” comes from. I love “Stern of the Crew” -also makes me toss and turn. George Steel only produces his favorites but at least they’re not gutted by telecasts like the Met’s. I saw the Ballo onstage and then the unbelievably awful HD simulcast. If Gelb continues he’ll bring about the total demise of opera in the US.

• Porpora says:

He didn’t. It’s just typical overstatement.

• Porpora says:

A less kind observation is simply that George is just a bullshitter.

• 98rsd says:

Calm down.

• Avantialouie says:

It’s going to go on and on and on as a soap opera: “As the Screw Turns.”

Some like it dark. Those Vlaamse people are at it again!

• Nerva Nelli says:

Perhaps the busy-as-a-beaver J.D. McClatchy can produce a SCREWGE MC DUCK suitable for a NYCO children’s show in Central Park.

I though David Cushing mediocre in BALLO--and worse in ASSEDIO DI CORINTO a few years back in Baltimore.

And speaking of mediocre, why on earth is Stefan Kocan singing at the Met and LOC? His Ramfis tonight was third-rate provincial. I just don’t get it. Someone’s partner? Powerful representation? Miklos Sebestyen as the King was not much better. Where have all the basses gone?

• Famous Quickly says:

I could sing little Flora *tomorrow*-- it’s a question of color and tessitura.

You DO know I originated Ellen Orford at the Met, back under Eddie Johnson, who had sent me on to replace Milanov in TROVATORE opposite Warren--an artist of equal stature to mine--and asked me for Donna Anna with Pinza rather than (unlike Bing who ignored the fact that I was doing Eboli, Carmen and all my RING roles during the Festwochen and at the Garden)… Marcellina?

• RosinaLeckermaul says:

Speaking of horror stories, INTERMEZZO via Bloomberg notes that the Met is floating a major bond issue to get out of its fiscal hole and fall 2012 box office is down.

• Clita del Toro says:

OT: 26 people were shot and killed at a elementary school in Connecticut, among those 18 children.