• Ruxxy: Dear Armer if you live in the USA you live in a country which preaches human rights while allowing any... 7:38 PM
  • armerjacquino: I think a country which tells people what they are or aren’t allowed to wear, for any... 7:31 PM
  • Ruxxy: Racist ? Don’t make me laugh. The veil is not only a very primitive expression, it insults every... 7:17 PM
  • manou: Per molti anni dear Batty – you don’t look a day older than yesterday. 6:50 PM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Well, well; that lovely old song! Whoever played the piano for Katherine Hepburn... 6:06 PM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Let me recommend a reading of Heidi Waleson’s review of Klinghoffer in... 5:58 PM
  • LittleMasterMiles: Where is the f**king “Like” button on this thing? 5:48 PM
  • MontyNostry: Rather than La clemenza della Cieca, how about La moderazione della Cieca, which makes itself... 5:44 PM
  • Cicciabella: Autocorrect won’t have her any other way. 5:30 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Especially Danielle Denise. 5:20 PM

Una donna misteriosa ognora

Soprano Kristin Lewis will sing the role of Maddalena in Opera Orchestra of New York’s presentation of Andrea Chenier on January 6.

I predict that she will not sing in this performance of Chenier. Time will tell.

• Clita del Toro says:

QPF I hope you are right--oy!

• Clita del Toro says:

That Requiem bit is amateurish and ugly.

• SilvestriWoman says:

Was she sight-reading? She spent more time staring at the score than following the conductor, let alone connecting with what she was singing. I don’t say this to be mean, but I’ve heard far better performances by unknown soprani with small, regional orchestras.

• Clita del Toro says:

She is just awful and amateurish here. Another pretty face that can’t sing?

Something about Simone Kermes just makes me want to hit her.

• Well, I do not think she is awful, I do think she is pushed into rep that could damage her if she is not careful. I though what I heard from the Aida, including the high cd was pretty decent.

What were the circumstances of the requiem? She is looking T the score a lot and looking at metha quite a lot too, was she a last minute sub?

Lastly, who is the tenor who sings E lucevan and where do I send him a marriage proposal?

• phoenix says:

‘Kristin Lewis will sing the role of Maddalena in Opera Orchestra of New York’s presentation of Andrea Chenier on January 6′
    - Why?

Tremens factus sum ego et timeo,
      dum discussio venerit atque venture ira:
      quando coeli movendi sunt et terra

• zinka says:

AGAIN..Another soprano who cannot even mix CHEST on “Io tremo”…….Sad….

• Would you back off for once? If you need to hear chest in everything I suggest you put Gencer recordings non stop. You should by now have enough, if not all. This is a young singer who is still trying to figure things out, how about you remember how it was for you and give her some room rather than already start the complaining?

• zinka says:

Geee.I thought this was a free country…Just because I used to date Lina Bruna Rasa..you do not have to be so mean!!!!!

• It is a free country sweetheart. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism when you speak out of your ass.

And I stand by what i said, if you need to hear chest voice 100% of the time, you have Leila, and Fedora. This lady needs some room to figure things out, just like lots of singers who eventually turned to be fabulous enough to be remembered as part of the golden age.

• zinka says:

I have a friend who OVERUSES the term “She could be anyone.”….but this girl,despite a nice voice…..has no distinctive sound…..but still they come…..No SPECIAL sounds….see Gencer,Stella,Olivero,La Cieca…

Well everyone knows that Maddalena requires having your eyes glued to the score in performance.

• RosinaLeckermaul says:

Zinka, you are so right. On Saturday’s Opera Quiz, they played four versions of the end of “O Patria Mia” (Nillson, Arroyo, Milanov, Ponselle). Distinctive, immediately identifiable voices. They weren’t always perfect performances, but they were all interesting. I would argue that Radvanovsky fits into that category. She has her detractors, but it’s an immediately recognizable sound and she is a fully committed singer.
      The singers you mention (Gencer, Stella, Olivero) all had their detractors, but they were unique and always interesting (I know some found Stella dull. you had to be there.). I keep coming back to that word because so much of the singing one hears today is proper but dull. Despite all her virtues as a singer, I find Angela Meade dull. Interesting singers often have vocal flaws. But, as Ethan Mordden put it, they’re “demented.” I’d say eccentric. Interesting. Not just pretty. As the great Sondheim put it, “Pretty isn’t beautiful.”
      Sorry for doing what I sometimes complain about on this site — waxing nostalgic.

• irontongue says:

Okay, clicking through to YouTube explained the occasion and location and why Donald Runnicles was conducting that “O patria mia.” (White-haired dude with baton in left hand = the Donald).

There are also two newcomers in that *presentation* :

Roberto Alasna

Georee Petean

(sic)

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Speaking of Alagna, when did he become the Radames designate for Berti?

Well, at least Tanner got a few perf. in this run. Any reports on Hui He?

• Bianca Castafiore says:

OT: Montissimo, what were you saying in the other thread, that Carol is a predatory cougar? I am not up on the operatic gossip, please enlighten.

Hello, Bianca. I think she married a younger barman she met at Glyndebourne and was said to have had an affair with a famous (older) conductor she worked with there … As I understood it, she and Blochwitz were close too. That only brings the total to three, but I was told she was something of a dévoreuse. On the other hand, the person who told me that (now a manager of an important festival and a bit of a sacred cow) was the most terrible gossip and prone to exaggeration.

• Gualtier M says:

Carol Vaness was involved over ten years ago with Charles Castronovo -- she even mentioned in an interview that she should understand the Marschallin since she had a much younger boyfriend. Castronovo has since married and had children with Ekaterina Siurina so that incident is far in the past.

I was told that the English husband she was briefly married to in the early nineties was not only younger but also gay. She supposedly said when asked about that marriage “I knew I wasn’t going to have any children, so I married one”.

No idea what Carol is up to today other than teaching.

• Bluessweet says:

Soprano Kristin Lewis, who has received some unfavorable (to say the least) comments here, should not be confused with Kristina Lewis, a first year resident artist at AVA and a mezzo. By the time she’s done there, four years hence, she may or may not be the next Joyce Dd but you can bet that she will at least be well trained. While I have been introduced, I have yet to hear her sing, so I can’t say more about her just yet.

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

*Cough*

According to operabase, she is free since mid November and will be free in January. Enough time to learn the whole part, if necessary.

• Clita del Toro says:

WE WANT LATONIA.

• Lyric-Tenore says:

Yes yes Latonia quickly. I can get at least 35 other to sign quickly too lol. Yes sadly Kristin Lewis is a huge no sir not now . Looking at Latonia reminded me of when Indra Thomas burst onto the scene ….. Smh